SC p800

Started 4 months ago | Questions
David Dent New Member • Posts: 10
SC p800

Hi,  my printer and driver are both set up for 'plain paper A4'  but when I try to print the printer says that I have a paper roll fitted and will not print.     I do not have  the roll fitting and the back of the printer is full closed.   Please help,  this is driving me mad !!

ANSWER:
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: SC p800

I'd get a flashlight and inspect the two holes where the hooks fit. Something triggers a sensor that tells the printer that the roll holder is on.

OP David Dent New Member • Posts: 10

Hi Charles2,  Many thanks for your prompt reply,  apologies for my delay but we have endured a long session at our Dentists this morning!     I have had a look at the roll holder mounting points and they seem quite sound and undisturbed,  but I think that your suggestion,   that the printer has sensed that there is a roll fitted,   must be near the mark.  I will carry on trying to move and adjust anything that moves  to get to the bottom of the problem.  Again thanks for you reply.   David

David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,984

I have the P600 so I assume the P800 will be similar.

Have you checked that you have the correct paper source set in your printer settings?

You might have accidentally set Roll Paper as the paper source.

-- hide signature --

I might not always be right
but I am never wrong.

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D

Thanks, but both printer and the printing settings on the computer are set up for  'Plain paper  A4' .  I have been printing with Epson printers for at least 15 years without anything like this occurring !!

D Saul
D Saul Regular Member • Posts: 375

Try uninstalling both the printer driver and the printer itself, then reinstall.

I think that I have stumbled across the answer to my problem.        In the printer control panel I asked the printer to print a Test Page  on plain paper A4,  The printer did this for me perfectly     and THEN when asked to print a colour photo  -  bingo,  out came a great print,  with no mention of a roll system being fitted.  I have printed several more since then and up to A3+ in size,     so,  hopefully the printer will now continue to behave itself.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,831

Except you don't know what triggered the error?

But glad you've back in operation.

Vella Forum Member • Posts: 96

David Dent wrote:

Hi, my printer and driver are both set up for 'plain paper A4' but when I try to print the printer says that I have a paper roll fitted and will not print. I do not have the roll fitting and the back of the printer is full closed. Please help, this is driving me mad !!

Was the sun hitting the back of the printer? I had the same problem when the sun was hitting the back. Once the sun moved, it was fine. Sounds crazy but someone else had the problem.

-- hide signature --

Vella

Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 14,230

Vella wrote:

David Dent wrote:

Hi, my printer and driver are both set up for 'plain paper A4' but when I try to print the printer says that I have a paper roll fitted and will not print. I do not have the roll fitting and the back of the printer is full closed. Please help, this is driving me mad !!

Was the sun hitting the back of the printer? I had the same problem when the sun was hitting the back. Once the sun moved, it was fine. Sounds crazy but someone else had the problem.

There should be no problem with the roll holder attached, as long as the roll paper isn't poking into the back of the printer.

I suspect the problem was that a sensor thought roll paper was inserted into the back of the printer.  Sunlight hitting the back of the printer could easily fool an optical sensor.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +16 more
MHF in VA Forum Member • Posts: 55

I experienced a similar problem and likely a similar level of frustration.  After the usual disconnect - software update - etc. etc., I came a cross a couple posts referring to cleaning the rollers.  No luck with that, but then I expanded on the concept by brushing the area around the rollers inside the rear outfeed door, while simultaneously running my shop vac fitted with a small tapered nozzle tool.  Success!!!

MHF in VA's gear list:MHF in VA's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads