Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
OP greenmanphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,156
Re: 1st entry/ Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Ab S wrote:

..that was once and never more (driving and shooting)! I really clamped the wheel very very hard, and could throw the camera a side immediately if needed.

The car is a Volvo V60 250 HP 4-cyl gasoline turbo direct injection. Usual I drive (in the Netherlands) 100 km/h on pilot assist during day time; after 19:00 h speedlimit is 130 km/h, but even that I don't drive, because these short distances (<100 km) you gain just a few minutes. Driving with pilot assist is very relaxed. But sometimes..

Ab,

The V60 is a nice car, indeed! Volvo has done well with their designs, and I THINK their quality has also improved a fair bit, IIRC. I've ridden a bicycle in The Netherlands, but haven't driven. I DID drive in Germany (both West AND East, back when there was a difference!), and drove my little Dodge nèe Mitsubishi Ram 50 pickup truck at 125 MPH or so (201kph).

Thanks for the info, and yes, be safe on that sort of adventure!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Re: Greg's Exhibits - Just For Fun

Birddogman wrote:

Mina J wrote:

Beautiful shots Greg! I was also looking for the one of your grandson and his dad on a motorcycle racing through some nearby trees. I loved that photo. I could see it as an Entry

Mina

Thanks, Mina - this one? It's actually my mechanical mule - a 4 wheeler. They use it for fun. I use it for work on the property. So, this pic probably isn't "motorsports" - it's more like "farm equipment sports" - looking for a DM, no doubt.

Besides, Nancy says she thinks my tractor is sexy (it's much smaller than this one):

These are exhibits of "farm equipment sports".

Greg

Greg,

I DID specifically list tractors and lawnmowers, I believe!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,849

Thanks!  I guess I missed that.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,849

greenmanphoto wrote:

Greg,

Some nice stuff, there! And while I've not managed to drive one (or if I had, it was QUITE a while ago!), I've LONG thought about having a Miata! I've heard SO MANY TIMES about how fun they can be! Curious about the mods you've done.

I like the first two images, and am wondering what they're like in color! Looks like they could be quite nice with fall/early winter leaves on the trees.

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

Thank you, Sam.

There are some power mods as noted above. Since it is basically a corner-carver, there are lots of suspension and brake mods. One of the few visible mods (if you have a really sharp eye) is lowering by about 1.5". Then there are Bilstein shocks, very stiff sway bars, body braces, including a front strut tower brace in the engine compartment for body stiffness in hard cornering, SS brake lines for instant reaction, etc.

I wanted to make the thing tossable and controllable at 10/10ths, but still retain a tolerable ride, as we often use the car to just putter along and admire the beautiful area where we live with the top down on a nice day. Pretty much succeeded. Even the pipes tone down to a pleasant burble when just cruising slowly.

Yeah, MX5/Maitas are really great cars for the money (this from a guy who has had any number of Porsches). With a few inexpensive and easy mods, They are 98% of the fun of, say, a Boxster S for 15% of the money. They are safer, because you don't need to go all that fast to have fun. Plus (and this is a big deal to me) you are not so "visible". Everyone sees you in a Porsche - no one even notices an apparently stock MX5.

Check out my photos at: https://www.flickr.com/gp/137747053@N07/4M38jj

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 14,451
Re: Red Bull Air Race exhibits

These are a few pics I took at the Red Bull Air Race in London in July 2007, using my first DSLR, a Nikon D70. The small aerobatic planes have to fly a complex course at low altitude, flying between inflated pylons. They fly against the clock, with penalties if they miss or hit a gate. This race took place over the Thames in East London. The area was then quite industrial, but that's changing now.

Oops!  Yes, they do sometimes hit the pylons.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +19 more
Ab S
Ab S Contributing Member • Posts: 587
Re: Two entries/ Sweden ' motorsport'/ Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

In Sweden there is a tradition to show-drive with beautiful preserved/restored American cars, in particular (but not exclusively) in the smaller communities:

Sarna (Sweden)

Leksand (Sweden)

-- hide signature --

Ab

Ab S's gear list:Ab S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
NewGuy1776
NewGuy1776 Regular Member • Posts: 222
#632: Motorsports - Entry

I am in luck. Happened to take a trip to the track in the Texas  heat:-). Figured I'd take the RX100

Entry #1

Entry #2

NewGuy1776's gear list:NewGuy1776's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-A2 Fujifilm X-T20 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +2 more
Jaykayg
Jaykayg Contributing Member • Posts: 690

off topic, as no movement, let alone racing, but another biker here

However, there are never photos of me riding, since it's me who has the camera. Here's one of a stop, where hubs, patiently as ever, is wondering 'where's she gone with that camera', and I've walked round him out of sight, and managed to get this pic of him and our bikes. Another great advantage of the RX10iv - it can be carried in a tank bag.

More waiting around, while I go off with the camera. If you look closely, you can see our French horns strapped to the pillion seats - a good ride back from orchestra rehearsal on a fine day.

Jaykayg's gear list:Jaykayg's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +2 more
hwvlover
hwvlover Veteran Member • Posts: 6,628
Exhibit..Big boys toys

Track day in a McLaren.

Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.
My intention is to die young as late as possible.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
RJake1 Regular Member • Posts: 300
Motorsports Entry 1

RJake1's gear list:RJake1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6500 +1 more
Exhibit - An Old Favorite

Sorry, I couldn't resist!  LOL!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6500 +1 more
AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,945
Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports EXHIBITS

A few more exhibits

And sometimes things go wrong..... 425hp + wet track + cold tyres = Oops!!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
NewGuy1776
NewGuy1776 Regular Member • Posts: 222

AlwynS wrote:

A few more exhibits

These are some sweet shots. Very nice

NewGuy1776's gear list:NewGuy1776's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-A2 Fujifilm X-T20 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +2 more
AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,945

NewGuy1776 wrote:

AlwynS wrote:

A few more exhibits

These are some sweet shots. Very nice

Thanks kindly: always fun to see in real life!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 836
Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Thanks - fun challenge. My primary shooting gear for racing is a crop sensor Nikon, but I would always carry my RX100 which was my wide angle lens to avoid changing lenses on a DSLR in dusty windy environments....  Most of the below are from various vintage races at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI.

Entry:  Late 90s Benetton F1. Just past pedestrian bridge front straight Road America. 145 mph w/ 3 gears and 2000 feet of straight before turn 1....High speed panning is skill and a lot of luck. Happy w/ this one.

Entry: Two Vettes - Turn 5 at Elkhart Lake. Applied a slight split tone after desaturation. The guy in the split window was fast!

Entry:  c'mon - I've got 2 more cylinders than that guy..... Exit of Turn 6 Elkhart Lake.

The rest of these are for fun....

Italian car show downtown St. Paul.

Jordan F1. Normally aspirated V10, probably good for 800 HP at who knows, 17,000 RPM.

Velocity stacks on a Shadow CanAm. Less elegant than previous engine, but equally effective.

Torque!  Shadow CanAm - Was a joy to watch, hear, and feel these (there were 2 racing that weekend). First rate preparation with drivers who knew their stuff.

Blown pre-war MG. Taken w/ RX100. Played around with desaturation and split toning.

When things go wrong. What happens when valves do a tap dance on a piston. Broken camshaft belt on a desmo Ducati

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more

Alwyn, your Rx10 photos are super clear and extra sharp. Just wondering if you did a lot of PP? Were the weather / lighting conditions perfect that day - no humidity, etc? Nicely done!

Ab S
Ab S Contributing Member • Posts: 587
Re: Exhibit "enough power" Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

A Corvette V8 built in a motorbike. The text (German) on the engine says "Power: enough"

-- hide signature --

Ab

Ab S's gear list:Ab S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Jaykayg
Jaykayg Contributing Member • Posts: 690
Re: Exhibit "enough power" Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Good grief, power enough indeed!!

Jaykayg's gear list:Jaykayg's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +2 more

Jaykayg,

Nice Beemers!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Birddogman wrote:

greenmanphoto wrote:

Greg,

Some nice stuff, there! And while I've not managed to drive one (or if I had, it was QUITE a while ago!), I've LONG thought about having a Miata! I've heard SO MANY TIMES about how fun they can be! Curious about the mods you've done.

I like the first two images, and am wondering what they're like in color! Looks like they could be quite nice with fall/early winter leaves on the trees.

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

Thank you, Sam.

There are some power mods as noted above. Since it is basically a corner-carver, there are lots of suspension and brake mods. One of the few visible mods (if you have a really sharp eye) is lowering by about 1.5". Then there are Bilstein shocks, very stiff sway bars, body braces, including a front strut tower brace in the engine compartment for body stiffness in hard cornering, SS brake lines for instant reaction, etc.

I wanted to make the thing tossable and controllable at 10/10ths, but still retain a tolerable ride, as we often use the car to just putter along and admire the beautiful area where we live with the top down on a nice day. Pretty much succeeded. Even the pipes tone down to a pleasant burble when just cruising slowly.

Yeah, MX5/Maitas are really great cars for the money (this from a guy who has had any number of Porsches). With a few inexpensive and easy mods, They are 98% of the fun of, say, a Boxster S for 15% of the money. They are safer, because you don't need to go all that fast to have fun. Plus (and this is a big deal to me) you are not so "visible". Everyone sees you in a Porsche - no one even notices an apparently stock MX5.

Check out my photos at: https://www.flickr.com/gp/137747053@N07/4M38jj

Greg,

Thanks for the info! I can't say as I'd do anything like the mods you've done, but just having a fun, tossable little car like that could be quite fun!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads