Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
greenmanphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,156
Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

The subject of the new mini challenge is "Motorsports". This can be motorcycles, cars, speedboats, tractors, as long as it has a motor and it's racing.

If you like you can also add some technical details how the picture was post-processed, if applicable.

This challenge begins now and runs until: Saturday 19 June at midnight CDT for US.

The basic rules.

1. Maximum 3 Entries and/or as many exhibits as you wish.
  2. Photos must have been taken by you and may have been taken on any device.
  3. No restrictions on post processing or composite images.
  4. Please state in header whether image is an entry or exhibit. Non-labelled examples will be assumed to be exhibits.
  5. Post all images using the "Reply to Thread" button below this post.
  6. Awards: First, Second and Third places for entries and Honorable Mentions for other entries and exhibits.

Grand Prize: The first place winner has the "privilege" of creating and hosting the next Challenge and has 3 days to begin it. The winner can respond to the host with a forum post or PM. If the winner does not respond in 3 days, or declines to host, the second place winner becomes the next host. If the second place winner declines to host, the third place winner becomes the next host.

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Val Bueno
Val Bueno Senior Member • Posts: 2,440
Exhibit: Do plastic models count?

We don't have organized motorsports here, so the best I can do is Formula 1 models

ELF Tyrrell from Monaco Grand Prix

ELF Tyrrell P34 from the 1976 Japan Grand Prix (as seen in the movie RUSH)

Aloha,

Val

Val Bueno's gear list:Val Bueno's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 VI ACDSee Pro 5 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
OP greenmanphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,156
Re: Exhibit: Do plastic models count?

Val Bueno wrote:

We don't have organized motorsports here, so the best I can do is Formula 1 models

Aloha,

Val

Val,

Nice model! Did you put it together? And I'm not sure I've seen the six-wheeled race car before! Is that the CURRENT design for all F1 cars? Also, there's no speedboat racing in Hawaii? 'Course, if there was, you'd still have to GET to it, so...

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D300, D700, D500, and D850; 16-80mm, 85mm f1.8, 24-85mm, 24-120mm; Sigma 10-20 f3.5, 150mm f2.8 Macro, 17-50mm f2.8; Tamron 70-300mm, 70-200mm f2.8 VC; 24-70mm f2.8 VC G2; Gitzo 2531 Mountaineer tripod; RRS BH-55 ball head; Monostat RS-16 Pro monopod; Various odds and ends.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Ab S
Ab S Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: Exhibits/ Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Exciting topic!

Some exhibits from Circuit of Francochamps (Spa, Belgium). Pictures taken with Canon Powershot G11, processed with Canon DPP Raw converter.

Francochamps (Spa, Belgium)

Ab

Ab S's gear list:Ab S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
hwvlover
hwvlover Veteran Member • Posts: 6,628
Re: Exhibit: Do plastic models count?

Val Bueno wrote:

Aloha,

Val

Really nice Val, are these Tamiya models, I used to spend a lot of time making them including the P34.
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.
My intention is to die young as late as possible.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,945
Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports EXHIBITS

Oh boy, this one is near and dear to me! However: I believe I have an unfair advantage in this category as I have been fortunate enough to have had a media pass to a couple of Historic Racing events in the Vancouver and Seattle area. Because of this I will only be submitting EXHIBIT images.

Some random examples:

Oops, too close....

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,997
The Sun City July 4th Road Rally Exhibits

It was a warm July day as the Sun City Geezers lined up for the annual road rally.

Starting out with the pace car

Followed by the sport division car,

Then the avid speed demons of the neighborhood.

And at the rear of the pack..

All are exhibits.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 +2 more

Alwyn,

Some EXCELLENT stuff, there! I'll make comments underneath.

AlwynS wrote:

Oh boy, this one is near and dear to me! However: I believe I have an unfair advantage in this category as I have been fortunate enough to have had a media pass to a couple of Historic Racing events in the Vancouver and Seattle area. Because of this I will only be submitting EXHIBIT images.

Some random examples:

Nice image! Is this a Porsche?

Looks like a Lotus, to me! Admittedly, my knowledge of race cars is certainly FAR from complete! I like these guys, though!

LOVE the spray coming up off the tires!

THIS one almost seems like a selective-color processing was applied with that near-monotone background and the bright-red car and white helmet!

Ah, a nice closeup!

Oops, too close....

Just a TAD too close! Too bad the orange Mustang was so close, as well, and you couldn't better, more easily isolate the rear two cars more!

Nice older 'Stang!

Another beautiful, somewhat older car, I think!

A different era of cars! Man, what it would be like to drive one of these for JUST a few laps! So close to the tarmac, and such speeds!

A work of art, that engine!

Thanks, Alwyn! Wonderful shots, these are! And I JUST shot motocross for the first time, though I've wanted to shoot motorsports for a while, now! I'd LOVE to get into Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX, not too far from me! May have to see if I can work an angle or three on that...

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Re: Exhibits/ Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Ab,

Must be great to be there close to a lot of motorsports racing! AND you have bicycle racing, too! But I'm NOT jealous! Nope!

Sam

Ab S wrote:

Exciting topic!

Some exhibits from Circuit of Francochamps (Spa, Belgium). Pictures taken with Canon Powershot G11, processed with Canon DPP Raw converter.

Ab

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Thanks Sam. Comments on your comments in text 

greenmanphoto wrote:

Alwyn,

AlwynS wrote:

Some random examples:

Indeed: Porsche 906 AKA Porsche Carrera 6

Looks like a Lotus, to me! Admittedly, my knowledge of race cars is certainly FAR from complete! I like these guys, though!

Either a real Lotus 7 or one of the later Caterham 7's. Caterham bought the rights to manufacture the car when Lotus stopped building them in the early 70's and are still building them today.

Ditto!

THIS one almost seems like a selective-color processing was applied with that near-monotone background and the bright-red car and white helmet!

Actually no wild PP done. There was a strip of sun across the track while the rest was almost all black. Now place a bright red car in the sunshine against a black track in the shadow and hey presto: HUGE contrast!

Ah, a nice closeup!

Thanks!

Just a TAD too close! Too bad the orange Mustang was so close, as well, and you couldn't better, more easily isolate the rear two cars more!

The next shot in the burst actually shows more of what you mention:

Nice older 'Stang!

You should have HEARD this one! Automotive music!

Replica of the original Shelby Daytona Coupe

A different era of cars! Man, what it would be like to drive one of these for JUST a few laps! So close to the tarmac, and such speeds!

Yes, that HAS to be fun!

Thanks, Alwyn! Wonderful shots, these are! And I JUST shot motocross for the first time, though I've wanted to shoot motorsports for a while, now! I'd LOVE to get into Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX, not too far from me! May have to see if I can work an angle or three on that...

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Val Bueno
Three months on the first one

two months on the second one.

The six wheeler is a 70's design that was not successful.  Current designs are four wheel hybrids with motors as the main propulsion and electric motors for extra speed.

We had speed boat racing once.  Mostly canoe and sailing races.

Aloha,

Val

Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 VI ACDSee Pro 5 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Val Bueno
Gorgeous images!

I can almost hear the roar of the engines..

Aloha,

Val

Re: Gorgeous images!

Thanks Val. I have always been a car and racing fan so to get so close to the track and the cars is a real treat. And of course cameras have improved so dramatically that it makes life a lot easier.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Some real oldies here!

A real trip down memory lane with atrocious quality but still...

Start of a local Formula 1 race at Killarney racetrack near Cape Town. I believe this was in 1972 given the Lotus 72 in pole position. Taken with a Miranda Sensomat 35mm SLR with a 400mm Tokina lens

Shot of the Lotus 72 during the race

I was a bit late on the shot: one of the F1 drivers pushing a bit too hard. Could have been a McLaren M7 or a Lotus 49.

Around the same time: my brother used to participate in the saloon car races at that time. We went to the track for mid-week testing and practice for the upcoming race. At the same time there was a Chevron B19 practicing. Safety considerations were a bit different in the seventies, especially given that this was an unofficial casual practice day, so I was out on the pit lane in front of his pit, RIGHT next to the track:

The setting: not sure of the car in this shot. A bit of sleuthing suggests that it was almost certainly a Lola T290.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

NewGuy1776
NewGuy1776 Regular Member • Posts: 222
Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

Some nice images so far. Looking forward to seeing what everyone post.

NewGuy1776's gear list:NewGuy1776's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-A2 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +2 more

AlwynS wrote:

Thanks Sam. Comments on your comments in text

greenmanphoto wrote:

Alwyn,

AlwynS wrote:

Some random examples:

Indeed: Porsche 906 AKA Porsche Carrera 6

Glad I had the make right, at least! Didn't know which model, though.

Either a real Lotus 7 or one of the later Caterham 7's. Caterham bought the rights to manufacture the car when Lotus stopped building them in the early 70's and are still building them today.

Another I had right! Man, I'm on a ROLL!

Yeah, I know Caterham is still making these cars, but I don't know I was aware they bought the rights from Lotus to do so.

Ditto!

Actually no wild PP done. There was a strip of sun across the track while the rest was almost all black. Now place a bright red car in the sunshine against a black track in the shadow and hey presto: HUGE contrast!

Oh, I knew there WASN'T any processing for the effect, but it had that look to it! Really great timing on this one!

Ah, a nice closeup!

Thanks!

The next shot in the burst actually shows more of what you mention:

Indeed! That's more like what I meant!

Nice older 'Stang!

You should have HEARD this one! Automotive music!

Yeah, some of the older cars certainly have a musicality to them! Not ALL, certainly! But some!

Replica of the original Shelby Daytona Coupe

Ah! I thought it was VAGUELY familiar, but I just couldn't figure out what it was!

Yes, that HAS to be fun!

Thanks for sharing!

Sam

Thanks for the reply, Alwyn, as well as the shots!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Re: Three months on the first one

Val Bueno wrote:

two months on the second one.

The six wheeler is a 70's design that was not successful. Current designs are four wheel hybrids with motors as the main propulsion and electric motors for extra speed.

We had speed boat racing once. Mostly canoe and sailing races.

Aloha,

Val

Val,

Nice work! I used to build models, MANY, MANY moons ago! I'm guessing THESE, though, are AT LEAST a step or three higher than the Revell and AMT models I used to build!

Thanks for the reply,

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports

NewGuy1776 wrote:

Some nice images so far. Looking forward to seeing what everyone post.

NewGuy,

I agree, on BOTH counts!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

AlwynS wrote:

Some real oldies here!

A real trip down memory lane with atrocious quality but still...

Start of a local Formula 1 race at Killarney racetrack near Cape Town. I believe this was in 1972 given the Lotus 72 in pole position. Taken with a Miranda Sensomat 35mm SLR with a 400mm Tokina lens

Shot of the Lotus 72 during the race

I was a bit late on the shot: one of the F1 drivers pushing a bit too hard. Could have been a McLaren M7 or a Lotus 49.

Around the same time: my brother used to participate in the saloon car races at that time. We went to the track for mid-week testing and practice for the upcoming race. At the same time there was a Chevron B19 practicing. Safety considerations were a bit different in the seventies, especially given that this was an unofficial casual practice day, so I was out on the pit lane in front of his pit, RIGHT next to the track:

The setting: not sure of the car in this shot. A bit of sleuthing suggests that it was almost certainly a Lola T290.

Alwyn,

You really HAVE been shooting for a while! I was shooting in the mid- to late-70s, but with a Kodak instant camera! Wasn't until I was 15 or so when I got my first "real" camera, a Pentax K1000 35mm SLR. A no-frills, all-manual camera with a match-stick metering system! It was simple, but effective, and I learned a LOT on that camera! I DID a lot with it, as well, from anything that caught my eye to graduation photos to even a wedding, IIRC!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
Proud WSSA Member #260!

Smuj
Smuj Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Mini Challenge #632: Motorsports:Exhibits

Taken at Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb last Saturday. Plenty of good spots along the hill, pretty close to the track. The fastest cars hit about 100mph going through the bend. Average speed for the 1000 yard track is about 110mph.

Looking forward to the next meet, July 4th, when the pre-WW2 cars will be racing.

-- hide signature --

Smuj
I’m an analog man in a digital world

Smuj's gear list:Smuj's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads