Need help assessing the damage to my Canon AE1 Program

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
yahtzee577 New Member • Posts: 11
Need help assessing the damage to my Canon AE1 Program

Hey Forum, I was cleaning the film gate of my new Canon AE1 P and I noticed that this little groove that holds the shutter had separated a bit.

Would this slight separation in the film gate cause any issues down the line? Additionally, what would be the safest way to clean this area in the future? There where a couple of loose hairs in there which where showing up in my pictures (as evidenced below). Is it safe to touch the area with your finger to remove larger debris? or are you better off using tweezers/air to remove stuff like that.

Additionally, what should be avoided when cleaning the insides of the camera? I've only lightly touched the bottom/sides of the of the mirror box, and very lightly dusted the top of the mirror box (I had seen bits of hair stuck to the dark fuzzy side of the mirror, when it was flipped up) I'm sure during my cleaning adventure, I touched that area as well to get rid of the larger hairs.

I'm new to 35mm and wanna get the most out of my new (old) cameras, and hopefully haven't damaged anything too crucial

absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 11,576
Re: Need help assessing the damage to my Canon AE1 Program

I would use a little bit of adhesive to stick that back down again if possible, just use a thin paintbrush to dust the area out and crack on. Don't worry about it, these cameras were generally well made and will carry on firing as long as they're not abused too much. If the shutter curtain is moving freely and your shutter speeds are correct then it's all good. I've re-resurrected old cameras that people have written off just by removing the baseplate and oiling the working parts with clock oil. Most of my film cameras are between 40-70 years old and still work fine, in my experience, the more simple they are the longer they'll last, which makes sense if you think about it.

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-S10 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +4 more
OP yahtzee577 New Member • Posts: 11

absquatulate wrote:

I would use a little bit of adhesive to stick that back down again if possible, just use a thin paintbrush to dust the area out and crack on. Don't worry about it, these cameras were generally well made and will carry on firing as long as they're not abused too much. If the shutter curtain is moving freely and your shutter speeds are correct then it's all good. I've re-resurrected old cameras that people have written off just by removing the baseplate and oiling the working parts with clock oil. Most of my film cameras are between 40-70 years old and still work fine, in my experience, the more simple they are the longer they'll last, which makes sense if you think about it.

the shutter moves totally fine, doesn't seem slow or anything. I'm worried if I futz with it, it might make the problem worse. It's probably fine to leave it as it is right?

yahtzee577 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

the shutter moves totally fine, doesn't seem slow or anything. I'm worried if I futz with it, it might make the problem worse. It's probably fine to leave it as it is right?

If you're not confident then just leave it, it will probably be fine. Personally I'd use a tiny bit of superglue and stick it down just because that's how I roll, but I really wouldn't worry about it, you'll know if it becomes a problem because the shutter curtain will become restricted and shutter speeds will be affected.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-S10 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +4 more

absquatulate wrote:

yahtzee577 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

If you're not confident then just leave it, it will probably be fine. Personally I'd use a tiny bit of superglue and stick it down just because that's how I roll, but I really wouldn't worry about it, you'll know if it becomes a problem because the shutter curtain will become restricted and shutter speeds will be affected.

I also noticed a very slight vertical discoloration on the shutter curtain, is that something to worry about?

yahtzee577 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

yahtzee577 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

I also noticed a very slight vertical discoloration on the shutter curtain, is that something to worry about?

No, you're worrying over nothing, don't fret over cameras like this unless you're seeing issues in your negatives, and trust me, you will see it if there's a problem. The camera is 35-40 years old, if it's working, just enjoy it and carry on.

Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,934

absquatulate wrote:

don't fret over cameras like this unless you're seeing issues in your negatives, and trust me, you will see it if there's a problem. The camera is 35-40 years old, if it's working, just enjoy it and carry on.

That should be a motto - excellent advice

Moggi1964
Moggi1964 Regular Member • Posts: 404

Overrank wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

don't fret over cameras like this unless you're seeing issues in your negatives, and trust me, you will see it if there's a problem. The camera is 35-40 years old, if it's working, just enjoy it and carry on.

That should be a motto - excellent advice

It's how I face each new day; the mechanical parts are over 50 years old but they are still working so I'll just enjoy it and carry on. 

Moggi1964's gear list:Moggi1964's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,868

Optico-mechanical era will be superseded by android.  Self-healing shutters.

OP: You solved that hair issue.  Props.  Think how great that camera looks for its age.  I have Nikkormat FTNs that still work beautifully.

absquatulate wrote:

yahtzee577 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

yahtzee577 wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

No, you're worrying over nothing, don't fret over cameras like this unless you're seeing issues in your negatives, and trust me, you will see it if there's a problem. The camera is 35-40 years old, if it's working, just enjoy it and carry on.

I Inherited this camera, so I definitely was going down a spiral thinking I broke something during the cleaning process. Thank you for your words of wisdom, they really helped.  I'll be sure to keep them in mind while I'm out there taking shots with this relic haha.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads