Anyone have fz300 AND sx50?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
KRS503
KRS503 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Anyone have fz300 AND sx50?

I’m still on the fence about keeping my fz300 and would like some opinions...  If you have (or had) a sx50, what are some things that you like and dislike about it compared to the fz300?  What do you think is better or worse about the fz300?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Re: Anyone have fz300 AND sx50?

Don't you think that you should make that judgement call based on your circumstances and needs instead of the opinion of others? I love the FZ300, but also love the FZ82 and FZ1000M2. So guess what: I bought them all. The FZ300 has however seen more action than the others, because it's like a Swiss army knife. I even started doing astrophotography with it. For beach and lake strolls it's my go to camera. when I want more detail from static objects I get into its photo stacking or photo bracketing option.

But what are your misgivings?

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
KRS503
OP KRS503 Junior Member • Posts: 26

Well, for example I have heard from some people that the sx50 has a lousy viewfinder, is slow to focus, has a long buffer time, and is noisy… and I’d like to hear how that compares to the fz300. I’m worried that I might get frustrated by the slow focus and/or the long buffer and maybe the viewfinder.  I don’t think the noise will bother me unless it’s so loud it will scare off birds…  I’ve also heard that it does poorly in low light, and I would primarily be taking photos in forest settings with tree-filtered light, so I don’t know if that is considered “low light”. Or maybe the people making those comments have ultra high standards and the sx50 is totally fine? Or maybe it’s accurate but those shortcomings don’t bother most people?

i’ve heard a lot of great things about the sx50 but I want to hear the good the bad and the ugly. I know it’s an older camera and is lacking certain features that are available on more recently released cameras, so I’d like to know what it’s missing (compared to the fz300) and if those are things I care about. For example: I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have 4K video, which doesn’t really matter to me, I probably won’t be shooting much video if at all.

Really, the only things I don’t like about the fz300 is that I’ve realized I need more optical zoom, and that the menus are complicated (but maybe canon’s are too? I don’t know, so that’s why I’m asking). Otherwise it’s great and I really like constant f2.8. If I end up keeping it, I will get an e15ed which will get me a little more reach for not much more money.

Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,581

1. The menu system on the Panasonic is the best that I have ever found. And once you get into the Q Menu (Quick menu) on the touch screen you can change numerous menu options with a simple touch of the screen instead of scrolling through the menu options with the mechanical scroll keys.
2. As for reach, 600mm is quite good. If you need longer than that then you would need something like the FZ82. But if you are going to crawl through the woods, which is something I have done from the day I was born in the Amazon, you'll need f2.8 to f4.0 on a zoom lens. Anything higher than (f5.6 etc) that and you'll start to have to use higher ISO, which means higher noise levels. But from my hunting days I learnt that if you need a longer focal length, you are probably too far from the subject. And that means distortions in the air due to air turbulence. And there is also the question of haze, especially in open terrain.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,432

KRS503 wrote:

Well, for example I have heard from some people that the sx50 has a lousy viewfinder, is slow to focus, has a long buffer time, and is noisy… .

I have the FZ200 and the SX50 HS.

First item to keep in mind is the SX50 HS has far older technology than the FZ300. The SX50 HS has gained somewhat "cult" status and at the current prices of SX50 HS in "good condition" are higher than the camera's actual worth; compared to newer cameras' price/ tech.

Second item is the slow max apertures at the longer telephoto lengths means needing 'GOOD' daylight conditions to have fast enough shutter speeds to prevent blurring (subject and/ or camera movement), and to use lower ISO settings.

The SX50 HS f/6.5 at 1200mm EFL around 2-1/3 stops slower than f/2.8. (FZ300 at 600mm EFL f/2.8 in lighting condition requiring 100 ISO, SX50 HS f/6.4 would require around 500 ISO with same shutter speed)

The smaller max apertures/ less not only provides less light to sensor for exposure, it reduces AF speed/ accuracy in lower lighting conditions, vs. the FZ300 with the constant f/2.8 aperture.

The FZ300's 1440K dot viewfinder has a 612% higher resolution than the SX50 HS 202k dot viewfinder. The SX50 HS 202k dot viewfinder resolution is far to low to determine if items are in focus.

Basically the 'only' main advantage of the SX50 HS over the FZ300 (and FZ200) is the longer 1200mm EFL.

Answers to a lot of your questions will be based on each user's personal 'subjective' opinions; hence you will get conflicting responses.

IMO the best thing for you to do is take the 'time' to read some full reviews with sample images on the FZ300 and SX50 HS, and download the SX50SX HS manual (Direct link from Canon.com HERE) to 'see' for yourself camera's menus, settings, info provided in viewfinder/ rear display, etc.

Get a sheet of ruled paper and make three columns. The first column is where you list the features/ items that are important to 'YOU'; used the other two columns one being for FZ300 and the other the SX50 HS to 'check-off' which camera has the most features/ items that are important to 'you'—not others.

There are sites like CameraDecision.com that provide quick side-by-side comparisons of cameras' features; e.g.,

FYI: Some general items the SX50 HS lacks compared to FZ300:
• 202k dot viewfinder resolution is far to low to determine if items are in focus
• Viewfinder does not have rubber cup/ hard plastic; FZ300 better if one wear glasses
• No touch screen
• Lens does not allow attachment of filter/ lens hood; will have to buy adapter
• EVF/ Display do not show numerical focal length; focal lengths on lens barrel
• Takes multiple presses of the "DISP" button to select EVF/ Display
• No programmable "Fn" buttons to quickly access often used settings
• If you want to shoot RAW, write times are slow
• As noted in DPR's SX50 HS Review (and others) prone to clip highlights

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +15 more
VadiV Regular Member • Posts: 425

I had SX50 for quite some time ( purchased total of 3 used ones ). Two of them failed ( not powering up, the other one defaults to AUTO and Mode selector does not work). So I really frustrated with used cameras, so decided to experiment with other models , first I  tried FZ300 but not happy about the zoom length.  Overall IQ is good but not that great , I could crop from Nikon DSLRs using my 300MM ( 450MM lens) for the same quality or better.Then I tried FZ80, I like it and kept it since the response, view finder, color of the image are really good. There is one limitation , IQ above 200 is not good. So, now trying Nikon P950 - this is really a good birding camera. Bottom line I have SX50, FZ80 and Nikon P950 and DSLR.

It all depends on how much you want to spend to get a decent Image. All these zoom cameras are good.

Here are some samples.... not from the same situations so not recommended for one to one comparison.

Do not have a good one

Thanks,

VadiV

VadiV's gear list:VadiV's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P950 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads