Question about what to wear

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Mare_333 Regular Member • Posts: 182
Question about what to wear

Hello,

I've been wondering what to wear when you photograph at a party. I mean should you dress up, it's not your party so that would be kind of weird. Also (most importantly) fancy clothes are always uncomfortable and as a photographer you need to bend and squat to get the right angle. So for me it seems that I should NOT dress up. However, wearing just jeans and a t-shirt I will stick out as a sore thumb and the client may think that I am being disrespectful wearing jeans. So I would appreciate if you share your experience how do you handle this situation? I've been thinking black polo type shirt with my logo and web address on the back (I am a female). What do you think? Thanks so much.

rxb dc Senior Member • Posts: 2,103
Re: Question about what to wear

Based on the many weddings I have attended as a guest, as well in corporate events, I think jeans and sneakers are too casual. Photographers  have typically worn black pants, white shirts, comfortable black shoes and sometimes a black jacket or vest and that  seems to blend in relatively seamlessly.

rxb dc's gear list:rxb dc's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +9 more
thelightwriter Contributing Member • Posts: 599

If its a wedding party or a event that had a similar expectation of dress I wore a black suit. Some weddings were less formal like in parks, everyone still dressed nice just not black tie. For those I wore dress pants and shirt with a dark blue sports jacket.

Thinking back, most of the female photographers I worked with on events that called for me to dress in a suit wore dresses. I don't remember exactly what they were other then maybe darker colors sometimes with some sort of pattern on them. Something that allowed them to blend in without calling attention to themselves.

One thing I'm pretty sure I remember right is none of the female photographers I worked with on a event even if it was a big wedding wore heels.

thelightwriter's gear list:thelightwriter's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,910

I always dress nicely even on a single headshot shoot in my studio, home - or on location.    Not ever dresses or party clothes - but business casual.  And always New Balance shoes for comfort.

Just me, but I think any kind of advertising logo shirt would be a bit too tacky - at least for my clientele.    The point is to blend in (and not look like someone from BestBuy wandering around).  To that end, I don't even do polo shirts.

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R IV
Plakanina
Plakanina Senior Member • Posts: 1,456

casual but together. no jeans loose fitting blouse, tapered black slacks, colorful converse sneakers to stand you out from the crowd. NB are for retirees!

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Pentax K-5 II HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
KE_DP

colorful converse sneakers to stand you out from the crowd. NB are for retirees!

Said someone who may have never had plantar fasciitis (from 0 arch support shoes) or spent a full day standing and running around shooting an event.     Health beats out fashion IMO.

Sony a7R IV
Plakanina
Plakanina Senior Member • Posts: 1,456

KE_DP wrote:

colorful converse sneakers to stand you out from the crowd. NB are for retirees!

Said someone who may have never had plantar fasciitis (from 0 arch support shoes) or spent a full day standing and running around shooting an event. Health beats out fashion IMO.

I'm was assuming that the question was from someone that did not have feet issues like yourself. Converse are always one size larger than ones normal size room for insert. I have and do run around on shoots. Try the Badwater Marathon in Death Valley I've photographed it twice for a German sports shoe client.

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Pentax K-5 II HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
KE_DP

I'm was assuming that the question was from someone that did not have feet issues like yourself.

Why assume things that are unknown?   I never said I had feet issues.  I don't.  I once developed PF for a short time - directly caused from wearing flat footed footwear like Keds, Vans and Converse etc. for extended periods of time - that was years ago.  The cure was better designed shoes - whatever brand (NB just happens to be one).

One might scoff at a recommendation for shoes that are designed for quality and support to avoid "feet issues" in the future - see how that works long term...  YMMV.

Sony a7R IV
OP Mare_333 Regular Member • Posts: 182

Thank you everyone for sharing your expertise, much appreciated.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads