New to film, and noticed that every one of my shots had this dust particle thing

Started 4 months ago | Questions
yahtzee577 New Member • Posts: 11
New to film, and noticed that every one of my shots had this dust particle thing

As the post indicates, I'm new to film photography and noticed that in every one of my shots, a dust spot shows up in the same spot. The pictures in question where taken using a AE1 Program and I want to know what part of the camera needs cleaning in order to get rid of this/or if there's some sort of mechanical issue.

Could this also be a error on the part of the person scanning my film?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 20,978
Re: New to film, and noticed that every one of my shots had this dust particle thing

If the marks appear on the film itself, I'd say it's a piece of hair or fuzz caught in the film gate. You should be able to see it before you load the next roll. If the mark is on the top of your images, look at the bottom of the film gate - and vice-versa.

If the marks are not on the film itself, then the digitizing gear was the culprit.

blåland Contributing Member • Posts: 564
Re: New to film, and noticed that every one of my shots had this dust particle thing

I see this on my scans sometimes. If this was my picture it would be a scanning issue.

But to be sure open the back of the camera and see if any fiber with that shape is close to the film plane.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,123

Have you looked at the negatives to see if the mark is on each one ?

You might need a loupe or a reversed 50mm lens to be able to see it . Or take a photo of the negatives with your digital kit to look at it on the pc screen .

I think it's unlikely that the mark will be present on the film , it does look like the item is in the scanner , and it's that that needs cleaning .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi +44 more
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 59,999

Clean the film frame opening.  The thread/lint should be visible.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,587

blåland wrote:

I see this on my scans sometimes. If this was my picture it would be a scanning issue.

But to be sure open the back of the camera and see if any fiber with that shape is close to the film plane.

Agree. To be that much in focus, it would have to be visible behind the shutter (ie very close to the film plane).

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

sprocket-docket Regular Member • Posts: 413

mamallama wrote:

Clean the film frame opening. The thread/lint should be visible.

Yep, this happened with an OM-1 I had. Put the shutter on bulb, open the back and hold down the shutter so you can inspect the whole frame. Most likely there's a loose bit of fiber. The time it happened to me most recently, I'm pretty sure it was a loose bit of felt from a hand-rolled film cartridge. That one resolved itself by disappearing.

sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus E-M5 II +3 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 2,200

Could this also be a error on the part of the person scanning my film?

Probably the camera. Dust on the negative when scanned shows up as white. (Dust is my nemesis!!) Black indicates it's blocking light to the negative, not the scan/print.

I agree with the others here: Remove the lens, pop open the back of the camera, open the shutter on Bulb and look through to find that little dust bugger. It's probably close to the film plane and should be easy to find.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
OP yahtzee577 New Member • Posts: 11

so I took your advice and opened it up, and saw some stuff near the window. I wanted to know though, if it's safe to touch/dust off the black foam stuff that's on the bottom of the mirror (the part that flips up when you hold the shutter down) That's where a majority of the little filaments where located

so I took your advice and opened it up, and saw some stuff near the window. I wanted to know though, if it's safe to touch/dust off the black foam stuff that's on the bottom of the mirror (the part that flips up when you hold the shutter down) That's where a majority of the little filaments where located

sybersitizen wrote:

If the marks appear on the film itself, I'd say it's a piece of hair or fuzz caught in the film gate. You should be able to see it before you load the next roll. If the mark is on the top of your images, look at the bottom of the film gate - and vice-versa.

If the marks are not on the film itself, then the digitizing gear was the culprit.

what would be the best way to clean near the film plane? I also noticed a very slight bend in the groove where the shutter runs through. Could that cause any issues down the line?

Bob Janes wrote:

blåland wrote:

Agree. To be that much in focus, it would have to be visible behind the shutter (ie very close to the film plane).

what would be the best way to clean near the film plane? I also noticed a very slight bend in the groove where the shutter runs through. Could that cause any issues down the line?

mamallama wrote:

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,587

yahtzee577 wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

blåland wrote:

I would advise to leave stuff alone for the most part. Maybe remove the fibre if you are sure you have found the bit you identified from the negative, otherwise just clone out that bit or crop in a bit. It is film, some spots and hairs add to the overall effect (To some extent).

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,873

As others have said it’s probably a hair on the film gate.  I’ve scanned a lot of frames with things like that at the edges - the viewfinders on most SLRs don’t even see to the edge of the film gate so it’s very unlikely there will ever be anything important there.  Depending on your camera/scanner you may find a 3:2 crop simply misses it.

blåland Contributing Member • Posts: 564

yahtzee577 wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Just don't touch the shutter in any way or use any liquids and you should be fine.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads