Recommended Nikon body for IR conversion

Started 4 months ago | Questions
masplin Regular Member • Posts: 130
Recommended Nikon body for IR conversion

Hi

I'm looking to get a converted IR body, but from what I have read the newer bodies actually don't perform as well.  I'm guessing there is some compromise age that is good for IR, but has some modern features.  Since I need to go out and buy this body any recommendations appreciated?

Thanks

Mike

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 2,067
Re: Recommended Nikon body for IR conversion

masplin wrote:

Hi

I'm looking to get a converted IR body, but from what I have read the newer bodies actually don't perform as well. I'm guessing there is some compromise age that is good for IR, but has some modern features. Since I need to go out and buy this body any recommendations appreciated?

Thanks

Mike

I've not heard of the newer bodies not performing as well. Before you buy the camera and send it in for conversion, be sure you trace down that notion and prove or disprove it to yourself.

In fact, my IR camera is a converted D3 (pretty old) and it's a PITA. The best IR cameras are a) mirrorless or b) DSLRs with modern Live View. The D3 is one of the earlier LV cameras and it does not perform as well as modern ones do.

Since I mentioned mirrorless, I have to say that if I were to get a new IR converted camera body today, it would definitely be mirrorless for several reasons. And this is another indication that modern bodies are better than older. Go to a infrared discussion group and ask why. Basically, it does not have the same focus issues that a lot converted DSLRs have, and it has other advantages.

Also, there is a thing with some Nikon (and other manufacturer) DSLR camera bodies that have an internal infrared emitting <the function of which I forget but doesn't matter> that is not a problem for normal photography, but turns into a problem once you IR convert your camera. With very long exposures, it can fog the image. HOWEVER, I have this on my D3 and it's never been a problem. But for more information, go to the Lifepixel site (www.lifepixel.com) and look up some Nikon DSLRs from the past decade or two, then look at the maker notes at the bottom of the page. All of this is covered there.

LENSES

The lenses are another story. You're going to find that some of the best F-mount lenses released in the past few years are Sigma Art lenses, but most of those do NOT perform well due to hot spots.

So you may get better IR performing lenses if you buy older ones. The best list of hotspot lens performance I've ever seen is the following:

https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/

Chris

PS: I sometimes wish dpreview had an Infrared forum.

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
OP masplin Regular Member • Posts: 130

Thanks chris very helpful

ken5678 Regular Member • Posts: 186

one 'question' is how much you want to spend.   some older camera's, such as the D7000 are very inexpensive, and work pretty well.    definitely worthwhile to go through lifepixel's website.

another question concerns lenses,  I believe with a DSLR,  you can get one lens set to your camera when it's converted  (assuming you use lifepixel or similar).  if my memory is correct, with a Z camera,  any appropriate lens will work.

.... also note,  that lifepixel has a fair bit on the post processing (photoshop) on their website,   straight out of camera isn't much of an option.

and I'll second the idea of an IR forum here on DPrev,  it could be a great resource.

OP masplin Regular Member • Posts: 130

Thanks. its for my wife so going through with her what she needs. She already has a big FX Nikon setup so probably a smaller DSLR or a mirrorless.

calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,575

I bought a used D610 which has live view and had it converted by Life Pixel. The D610 uses the same batteries as my other Nikon cameras and uses SD cards so no need for new batteries or memory cards.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
karen clanin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,877

Both my husband and I each had a D7200 body converted by KolariVision, they did our Pentax bodies several years ago and we were very happy with their work.   We both are happy with the D7200 conversions.

karen clanin
http://www.pbase.com/kclanin
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=2888877

Revision1 Regular Member • Posts: 145

I had an old D300 converted by LifePixel. They did a great job and I am enjoying the amazing creative potential of the SuperColor IR filter. Mirrorless cameras are technically the best to convert because focusing is done at the sensor and does not present the problems encountered with the separate focusing system used by reflex cameras when the focusing is done through the viewfinder. The LifePixel site has very clear and useful information that will assist with the decision.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Renato
'The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks.' Henri Cartier Bresson, in the 1930's

Revision1's gear list:Revision1's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +17 more
karen clanin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,877
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads