Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

Started 6 months ago | Questions
OP ssppss Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

Mark B. wrote:

ssppss wrote:

My kid damaged the Cannon EOS Rebel SL2 Kit Lens: cannon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

The camera with the lens fell face down while on a tripod. The neutral density ND filter I use to protect was damaged but the lens seemed OK. But the ND would not come off the lens. We had to use a lot of force to get the ND filter to unscrew. We had to hold the main lens and apply a lot of force. After the ND filter came off, the lens seems to not zoom anymore. Even when we manually turn the zoom ring it doesn't zoom. It does takes a photo though.

Can this lens be repaired? If so how? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Can I ask why you were using a ND as a protective filter? Doing so cuts down on the available light, forcing you to use a slower shutter, higher ISO, or both. I would humbly suggest using a lens hood for protection; in this case the hood would either have absorbed the impact with no damage or worst case broke and you would have only a $20 hood to replace.

I speak from experience using hoods for protection. I dropped a camera lens-first with an 80-400mm lens onto blacktop. Fortunately the hood was attached; it absorbed the impact with minimal damage. The camera body got a cosmetic scrape but both lens & camera operated normally.

Well I didn't know that ND filter wouldn't stop too much light.

Is there a measure of how many stops of light a filter stops?

Re: Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their expertise. It is a wonderful community where people selflessly share their knowledge and help everyone out.

I want to conclude the thread by posting what I did. I researched and found a few lenses to buy instead of the Kit lens, keeping my budget in my mind. The suggestions from this group were critical. The recommendation for where to buy was also incredibly helpful.

However, my kid insisted on buying the Kit lens. The logic was to keep the setup light and versatile. All the lens I chose were bigger or heavier. Understanding that need, I elected to buy a kit lens. I could find some used ones for $60-80 but found a new one in a nondescript box from some camera chain on Amazon for $110 or so and went for it.

The new Kit lens is awesome. To my untrained eyes it is sharper than the one that broke.

Everyone is happy.

Thanks once again.

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,463

ssppss wrote:

J A C S wrote:

You use an ND filter to protect that (cheap) lens? Are you serious?

Well the protective filter was only about $10 or $20 dollars. Not too expensive relative to the lens.

A cheap filter will make a mediocre kit lens...less mediocre.  Unless you're shooting in adverse conditions (windy beach, in close proximity to a sand blasting operation, etc) I wouldn't bother.  The rest of the lens is at just as much risk since it's not weather sealed.

Mark B.

ssppss wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

ssppss wrote:

My kid damaged the Cannon EOS Rebel SL2 Kit Lens: cannon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

The camera with the lens fell face down while on a tripod. The neutral density ND filter I use to protect was damaged but the lens seemed OK. But the ND would not come off the lens. We had to use a lot of force to get the ND filter to unscrew. We had to hold the main lens and apply a lot of force. After the ND filter came off, the lens seems to not zoom anymore. Even when we manually turn the zoom ring it doesn't zoom. It does takes a photo though.

Can this lens be repaired? If so how? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Can I ask why you were using a ND as a protective filter? Doing so cuts down on the available light, forcing you to use a slower shutter, higher ISO, or both. I would humbly suggest using a lens hood for protection; in this case the hood would either have absorbed the impact with no damage or worst case broke and you would have only a $20 hood to replace.

I speak from experience using hoods for protection. I dropped a camera lens-first with an 80-400mm lens onto blacktop. Fortunately the hood was attached; it absorbed the impact with minimal damage. The camera body got a cosmetic scrape but both lens & camera operated normally.

Well I didn't know that ND filter wouldn't stop too much light.

Is there a measure of how many stops of light a filter stops?

The question is why do you want to cut down on the available light to begin with?  It's not something that's normally done w/o a reason to do so.  For example, if you're shooting moving water and want to make it look smooth & creamy.  On the kit lens you have, it's already not a very fast lens so you don't want to cut down on available light unless there's a creative reason.

Ray UK Contributing Member • Posts: 852

Mark B. wrote:

A cheap filter will make a mediocre kit lens...less mediocre.

I think you mean more mediocre, or perhaps it would be easier just to say "worse".

Mark B.

Ray UK wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

A cheap filter will make a mediocre kit lens...less mediocre.

I think you mean more mediocre, or perhaps it would be easier just to say "worse".

Yes, worse is what I was getting at LOL.

Thanks for this insight. I'll be now looking to buy a hood

tdbmd Contributing Member • Posts: 849

ssppss wrote:

A general question for the experts: Is the EF-S 18-55 mm f:4-5.6 IS STM lens the latest Kit lens? Is there a newer Kit lens?

The 18-135 NanoUSM is the latest version of that lens.  Faster autofocus than the STM version and having owned both, I think slightly better image quality.

tdbmd's gear list:tdbmd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +7 more
2ndact scene1 Contributing Member • Posts: 553

ssppss wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

ssppss wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

It won't be economical to repair,try getting a used in mint condition as a replacement .

Thanks. Do you know where I can purchase a used one? How can I ensure that it is in good condition?

I'm in the UK and I get my used lenses from MPB Photographic through their website .I believe the company now have a dealership in the USA so maybe check them out. I've bought dealt with them for many years both buying and selling and they have never disappointed . All used equipment is sold with a six month warranty here in the UK and the prices are very reasonable. Obviously I have no experience with the USA company but if they are a good as their British counterparts you can't really go wrong . Good luck.

Is this the one https://www.mpb.com/ ?

I have used them a few times with no problem. They are located in  Brooklyn, NY. They post an image of the actual item for sale. Other sites post a generic image.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus TG-6 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7 Canon EOS RP +10 more

Thanks. Appreciate a note of affirmation. I was impressed by their selection and prices and intend to buy from them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads