Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

Started 4 months ago | Questions
ssppss Regular Member • Posts: 142
Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

My kid damaged the Cannon EOS Rebel SL2 Kit Lens: cannon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

The camera with the lens fell face down while on a tripod. The neutral density ND filter I use to protect was damaged but the lens seemed OK. But the ND would not come off the lens. We had to use a lot of force to get the ND filter to unscrew. We had to hold the main lens and apply a lot of force. After the ND filter came off, the lens seems to not zoom anymore. Even when we manually turn the zoom ring it doesn't zoom. It does takes a photo though.

Can this lens be repaired? If so how? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,779
Re: Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

Get in touch with Canon repair.  They will tell you if it's worth fixing.  Sometimes it's cheaper to buy another used copy of the lens.  I believe used copies are around $60 US.

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,218
Re: Lens suggestion for fixing Cannon Kit Lens Cannon Zoom EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

It won't be economical to repair,try getting a used in mint condition as a replacement .

tdbmd Contributing Member • Posts: 768

I would suggest replacing it with the 18-135 NanoUSM, great all purpose lens for a crop body.

tdbmd's gear list:tdbmd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +7 more
OP ssppss Regular Member • Posts: 142

Dareshooter wrote:

It won't be economical to repair,try getting a used in mint condition as a replacement .

Thanks. Do you know where I can purchase a used one? How can I ensure that it is in good condition?

Aoi Usagi wrote:

Get in touch with Canon repair. They will tell you if it's worth fixing. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy another used copy of the lens. I believe used copies are around $60 US.

Where can I get a used copy from?

ssppss wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Thanks. Do you know where I can purchase a used one? How can I ensure that it is in good condition?

I'm in the UK and I get my used lenses from MPB Photographic  through their website .I believe the company  now have a dealership in the USA so maybe check them out. I've bought dealt with them for many years both buying and selling and they have never disappointed . All used equipment is sold with a six month warranty here in the UK and the prices are very reasonable. Obviously I have no experience with the USA company but if they are a good as their British counterparts you can't really go wrong . Good luck.

ssppss wrote:

Aoi Usagi wrote:

Get in touch with Canon repair. They will tell you if it's worth fixing. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy another used copy of the lens. I believe used copies are around $60 US.

Where can I get a used copy from?

You can find used copies on online auctions such as eBay or a similar sites, depending on where you live.  You can probably find one on your local free listing sites such as Mercari.

NikonHaoleboy
NikonHaoleboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,437

Adorama, B&HPhoto, KEH are three sources with excellent reputations. I would try those before considering Ebay.

NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +3 more

Dareshooter wrote:

ssppss wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

I'm in the UK and I get my used lenses from MPB Photographic through their website .I believe the company now have a dealership in the USA so maybe check them out. I've bought dealt with them for many years both buying and selling and they have never disappointed . All used equipment is sold with a six month warranty here in the UK and the prices are very reasonable. Obviously I have no experience with the USA company but if they are a good as their British counterparts you can't really go wrong . Good luck.

Is this the one https://www.mpb.com/ ?

tdbmd wrote:

I would suggest replacing it with the 18-135 NanoUSM, great all purpose lens for a crop body.

Thanks for the suggestion. How do I understand the appellation NanoUSM versus just USM and STM?

Which one is better and which one is the latest?

A general question for the experts: Is the EF-S 18-55 mm f:4-5.6 IS STM lens the latest Kit lens? Is there a newer Kit lens?

ssppss wrote:

A general question for the experts: Is the EF-S 18-55 mm f:4-5.6 IS STM lens the latest Kit lens? Is there a newer Kit lens?

Yes, the F4-5.6 IS STM version is the newest version.  It sacrifices some speed (F4 vs F3.5) for a smaller, lighter package.

ssppss wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

ssppss wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

I'm in the UK and I get my used lenses from MPB Photographic through their website .I believe the company now have a dealership in the USA so maybe check them out. I've bought dealt with them for many years both buying and selling and they have never disappointed . All used equipment is sold with a six month warranty here in the UK and the prices are very reasonable. Obviously I have no experience with the USA company but if they are a good as their British counterparts you can't really go wrong . Good luck.

Is this the one https://www.mpb.com/ ?

Yes indeed it is .

ssppss wrote:

AFAIK the EF-S  18-55 F: 4.5.6 STM is the latest,possibly the last . That said the any of the STM  versions punch well above their weight . For an  all round one lens  solution the 18-135 MM STM or nano USM  is well worth considering and can be picked up in excellent used condition at reasonable cost.

tdbmd Contributing Member • Posts: 768

I have owned both the 18-135 STM and the 18-135 NanoUSM.  Both have nice images, the NanoUSM has quite a bit faster AF

tdbmd's gear list:tdbmd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +7 more
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 14,231

ssppss wrote:

You can get a factory refurbished EF-S 18-55 mm f:4-5.6 IS STM with a one year warranty from Canon USA for about $200. This is the latest version of the EF-S 18-55 lens. Previous versions were f/3.5-5.6

...How do I understand the appellation NanoUSM versus just USM and STM?

Which one is better and which one is the latest?

These terms refer to the mechanics of the autofocus system.  Nano USM and STM work well for video as well as stills.  They are quieter and designed for tracking focus as the subjects move.

As a general rule:

• USM (Ultra Sonic Motor) is better then no indication.
  • STM (STepper Motor) is better than USM.
  • Nano USM is better than STM.

Note that this doesn't refer to the quality of the image, but to the speed and operation of the focus motor.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +16 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 19,299

You use an ND filter to protect that (cheap) lens? Are you serious?

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,296

ssppss wrote:

My kid damaged the Cannon EOS Rebel SL2 Kit Lens: cannon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM.

The camera with the lens fell face down while on a tripod. The neutral density ND filter I use to protect was damaged but the lens seemed OK. But the ND would not come off the lens. We had to use a lot of force to get the ND filter to unscrew. We had to hold the main lens and apply a lot of force. After the ND filter came off, the lens seems to not zoom anymore. Even when we manually turn the zoom ring it doesn't zoom. It does takes a photo though.

Can this lens be repaired? If so how? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Can I ask why you were using a ND as a protective filter?  Doing so cuts down on the available light, forcing you to use a slower shutter, higher ISO, or both.  I would humbly suggest using a lens hood for protection; in this case the hood would either have absorbed the impact with no damage or worst case broke and you would have only a $20 hood to replace.

I speak from experience using hoods for protection.  I dropped a camera lens-first with an 80-400mm lens onto blacktop.  Fortunately the hood was attached; it absorbed the impact with minimal damage.  The camera body got a cosmetic scrape but both lens & camera operated normally.

J A C S wrote:

You use an ND filter to protect that (cheap) lens? Are you serious?

Well the protective filter was only about $10 or $20 dollars. Not too expensive relative to the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads