Olympus 8-25mm F4.0 PRO: Official Page

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,671
Not the 12-45/4 companion I was rooting for...

I was sort of hoping this lens would end up being a natural fit with the 12-45/4.  That is to say a lens optimized for size and weight that doesn't compromise on IQ.  It has turned out to be more on the scale of the 12-40/2.8 and 8-18/2.8-4 instead.

That's kind of a bummer because I thought the 12-45/4 was doing a great job at bringing m43 back to its "small package" roots while shedding the "small means cheap, consumer grade" thinking applied to "slow" compact zooms.  If we had a similar sized high IQ UWA lens what an incredible landscape pairing that would be on something like an E-M5III.

That said, upon reflection the novel focal range of 8-25 (16-50 equivalent) would seem to make a remarkably excellent travel and street lens with no need for lens changes across a very useful focal range.  For a slow landscape shooter lens changes are no big deal and the addition of the 12-25 range is rather irrelevant.  But for someone who is likely to jump across that 12mm boundary rapidly this is interesting.

And I guess, to be fair, there seems to be a class of landscape shooters who close their eyes past about 50mm equivalent   So might be really useful for them too if it means two lenses become one.

Lastly I'll note this along with the E-P7 confirms that Olympus branding is being retained by OMDS at least for now.  No doubt all the incredibly vociferous posters from last year citing their incredible real world experience in corporate mergers when they said in no uncertain terms anyone who ever expected to see an "Olympus" product in the future was a naive Olyboy will be shortly posting their mea culpas.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +38 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 15,227
Re: Not the 12-45/4 companion I was rooting for...

I agree.  I was hoping the 8-25/4.0 would be more similar in size to the 12-45/4.0 lens.  Still I can see the physical reasons to the 72mm filter size to prevent light falloff when using a filter.

There is what is assume to be an 40-150/4.0 shown on the lens roadmap.  It would be a nice companion lens if they made it a 25-150/4.0 lens.  Just thing going from 8mm to 150mm in just two lenses.  Then pack couple of fast primes for low light or shallow depth of field.

I can see myself pre-ordering the 8-25/4.0 lens and it will be replacing my 7-14/2.8 in my kit.

Still I really wish for a 10mm/f1.4 prime lens for astro-landscapes.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II +43 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,991
Re: Olympus 8-25mm F4.0 PRO: Official Page

KarmaAndLies wrote:

As of writing that’s still what it shows on the page itself. I did not crop or alter the image.

Looks like someone cropped off the number to the left, should be 77×88.5mm.

88.5mm versus 5mm

Why quibble over a few mm's right?

And people thought the Olympus marketing was bad before the change in ownership.....

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Nikon Z7 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,991

As of right now, the link in the OP is giving a big old....

We are sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found.

Maybe they figured they should make the dimensions look right , fix the video link, and correct other issues too on there

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Nikon Z7 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
OP KarmaAndLies Forum Member • Posts: 83

I'm seeing that too. What's even more odd is they continue to link it from here:

https://test-getolympus.olympusamerica.com/us/en/

It still links to that page that then just errors out. I'm not sure what Olympus is doing this weekend, but I'm guessing someone in the thread's earlier theory that they accidentally released it too soon was on-point (or the wrong version).

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335

I look at it like this:  Oly and Pana both have a 7-14.  Neither takes filters on the front.  The Oly is faster but bigger and heavier.

Now (or soon) they each have an ultra-wide zoom that starts at 8mm and takes filters.  They are pretty close in size (Oly: 77x88.5mm, Pana: 73.4x88mm).  They both give a more useful long end than a 7-14, but the Oly's 25mm beats the Pana's 18mm.  The price for that is the Oly being slower at the wide end, and being heavier (411g compared to 315g).

I bought the Pana 7-14 when it was the only one, later sold it and got the 8-18.  I'm happy with that lens.  But others may value features of the others more, so there is a pretty good selection of UWA zooms with subtle differences to choose from.  Sounds good to me.

I don't know how realistic a compact (similar to 12-45 f/4) version of this lens would have been.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +25 more
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,361

daleeight wrote:

Maybe they figured they should make the dimensions look right , fix the video link, and correct other issues too on there

The link was never intended to be on the Web. It was was a test version prior to final version when the camera is officially released.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +12 more
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,530
That's a decent price

EsVeeFoto wrote:

Wow ... that's a lot more expensive than what I expected.

Assuming it lives up to it's "Pro" designation, I would consider $1099 a very decent price.

I will wait for professional and user reviews though.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +52 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 15,227

drj3 wrote:

daleeight wrote:

The link was never intended to be on the Web. It was was a test version prior to final version when the camera is officially released.

Agree.  I am guessing it was supposed to posted on the corporate intranet for review but accidentally was posted on the Internet.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II +43 more
allematic Regular Member • Posts: 225

Expecting this lens to be similar to 12-45 in size was simply unrealistic. Ultrawides tend to be large and this covers a long range too. I was expecting it to be closer to 12-40, ended up being a tiny little bit heavier and wider, still very very manageable though.

NFE Forum Member • Posts: 54

I'll stick with my 8-18 because of its faster speed at the long end, which is where I'm most likely to need it (indoors or narrow spaces outdoors). The 12-40 or 12-45 will meet the vast majority of my needs during on-the-go photography.  It all comes down to your own needs and style of photography.

NFE's gear list:NFE's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III +21 more
Terrible Photographer
Terrible Photographer Contributing Member • Posts: 667

If this has better flare resistance over the 7-14.. I might consider replacing it for this...

Otherwise, for $1100, I think the 7-14 2.8 is absolutely worth the extra $200.

The 8-25 should have been priced closer to the 12-45, at $1100 and f/4, it's not a great value IMO.

Terrible Photographer's gear list:Terrible Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads