April Japanese camera sales ranking acc. to Phileweb

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
K_men New Member • Posts: 16
April Japanese camera sales ranking acc. to Phileweb

This just crossed my radar thank to Pentax Rumors.

https://pentaxrumors.com/2021/06/03/japanese-sales-ranking-by-camera-lens-category-for-april-by-phileweb/

I have no idea how reliable this source is, or the extent to which it is representative (it looks like it's basically the April sales results in a number of leading Japanese sales outlets).

Of course, no-one on this forum needs convincing of the qualities of the GRIII, but it's still nice to see it topping a sales chart. What surprised me was the camera in the second slot: the Sony RX100Mk3, followed by the original RX100. I'm aware of Sony's strategy to keep different iterations of their RX100 series on the market, and I think it's a sound strategy, but how come the latest-and-greatest RX100MkVII is nowhere to be seen in these charts? Has the Japanese buying public become more price-conscious, what with the economic downturn after the pandemic and all? What about the ZV-1, then?

It goes to show we know and understanding nothing about what makes the domestic Japanese camera market tick.

PS. Slightly off-topic, but, also, no love for the Nikon Z series? How sad. It's nice to see the latest Pentax APS-C DSLR, the K3III, rule here, but I thought Nikon were making more inroads with their mirrorless efforts. (Nikon Z lenses do seem to be sold a lot, though.)

K_men's gear list:K_men's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Ricoh GR III Gimp Snapseed flickr +1 more
Ricoh GR III Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BG_CX3_DPREVIEW Senior Member • Posts: 1,913
Re: April Japanese camera sales ranking acc. to Phileweb

Well those are Japanse sales nrs.

Outside of Japan, everybody speaks of niche market when adressing the GR.

So april 2021 sales is headed by a  2018 apsc, who tops  1" cameras of  2014/2012/2019/2017.

No Fujifilm/Leica/Sigma, nothing recent...

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,742

K_men wrote:

This just crossed my radar thank to Pentax Rumors.

https://pentaxrumors.com/2021/06/03/japanese-sales-ranking-by-camera-lens-category-for-april-by-phileweb/

I have no idea how reliable this source is, or the extent to which it is representative (it looks like it's basically the April sales results in a number of leading Japanese sales outlets).

Of course, no-one on this forum needs convincing of the qualities of the GRIII, but it's still nice to see it topping a sales chart. What surprised me was the camera in the second slot: the Sony RX100Mk3, followed by the original RX100. I'm aware of Sony's strategy to keep different iterations of their RX100 series on the market, and I think it's a sound strategy, but how come the latest-and-greatest RX100MkVII is nowhere to be seen in these charts? Has the Japanese buying public become more price-conscious, what with the economic downturn after the pandemic and all? What about the ZV-1, then?

It goes to show we know and understanding nothing about what makes the domestic Japanese camera market tick.

PS. Slightly off-topic, but, also, no love for the Nikon Z series? How sad. It's nice to see the latest Pentax APS-C DSLR, the K3III, rule here, but I thought Nikon were making more inroads with their mirrorless efforts. (Nikon Z lenses do seem to be sold a lot, though.)

The phileweb translated link shows these figures for that top 5

I copied these by hand:

1. GR3 42

2. DSC-RX100M3 24

2. DSC-RX100 24

4. PowerShot G9X MarkII 20

5. PowerShot G7X MarkI 17

I don't know what those numbers are as they collectively add to to 127 – too high to be percentages.

I don't quite trust it, but one thing that strikes me is the complete absence of Fuji in those tables!

-- hide signature --
 Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,319

Hmm not sure how much to trust them figures.

Is the crazy expensive canon r5 really the top selling mirorless? Outselling all the value apsc?

I can see the rx100s being there as they are good value compared to the newer versions.

maltmoose's gear list:maltmoose's gear list
Ricoh GR III
thelps
thelps Contributing Member • Posts: 652

I would suspect there is some truth to this if they are number for Japan only. There are often unexpected statistics stories I've heard of

As an example. The PS Vita which replaced the PS Portable had been out for a year or so. Its sales were good, then suddenly one month the PS Portable outsells it massively. The answer was simple, a game that many wanted to play came out was only available on the PS Portable so everyone bought the old console. This is some hearsay story I heard.

Take the case of the Contax T2. Digital had been out for ages. Film was on the decline, then some celebrity in the US brings a Contax T2 with her on a night time talk show. All of a sudden the T2 and the T3 that have been discontinued for ages is being bought up in droves.

Who knows, perhaps some celebrity was seen with a GR III.

-- hide signature --

DPReview Quote: Ricoh GR III shooting experience: "Shut up and take my money"

thelps's gear list:thelps's gear list
Sigma DP2 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V
Andrewteee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,074

maltmoose wrote:

Is the crazy expensive canon r5 really the top selling mirorless? Outselling all the value apsc?

The R5 is the top selling mirrorless camera at B&H right now.

But there’s probably a lot of “pros” converting to mirrorless from Canon DSLRs.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR III Canon EOS R5 Sigma fp L Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads