IR Shoot Number 3 with the Converted 50r and IR-Friendly 45-100

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,505
IR Shoot Number 3 with the Converted 50r and IR-Friendly 45-100

Sorry to bombard the MF Board with IR images, but I'm excited about my GFX 50r that I had not shot for 18 months and Jim made me convert it (720 nm), and I've been firing away with it the past 4 days here at home.

Amazingly, San Antonio, which normally has bald skies, has turned into a tropical jungle in the last month.

It has uncharacteristically rained for 40 days, and I wasn't here but in Mexico.

But the grass and trees are green and the skies are full of dramatic and interesting clouds.

I think IR needs direct strong sun on the foliage and walls but not bald skies. It also needs green foliage.

We need sun peeking openly between cloud cover. We didn't have that on my second IR shooting afternoon (my second IR post). We had dramatic shies, but the sun was over my head and behind somewhat dark clouds.

Today we had patches of open sky with the sun blasting, but still had nice cloud formations. So I drove South to the Missions again.

I shot two of them (San Juan and San Jose) again but in completely different conditions than my first two posts.

Then I drove further to Mission Espada - a small 400 year old church that is awesome. The Friars keep a garden and planted pots there. It was closed because of the floods, but I learned as a boy how to get by barriers. It was awesome. Perfect fo IR.

These were all with the hot-spotless 45-100 and the converted (720) GFX 50r with CPL. (do I need the CPL here?) on a monopod with OIS on.

I was excited when I saw them in post. Shot them two hours ago.

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose

Mission San Juan

Mission San Juan

Mission Espada

Mission Espada

Mission Espada

Mission Espada

Mission Espada

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
matteroner
matteroner Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Re: IR Shoot Number 3 with the Converted 50r and IR-Friendly 45-100

Mission Espada

Mission Espada

nice.  Screaming church.  maybe it's having a conversation with tree and it got out of hand.

matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +11 more
mplkn
mplkn Regular Member • Posts: 241

Coming in late on your IR posts after return of your 50R. I remember when you shipped the camera off...

These are very good and really interesting!

Very characteristically IR looking. Beautifully so.

I like the brick and stone as well as the foliage.

And as always, the IR sky...

So, about a million questions, well, maybe three, for starters, if you haven't already addressed in prior posts...

What's your approach to these? Frame in the finder, then check the results to tweak exposure? What does the dynamic range of the stripped sensor feels like - same as native? Is the histogram shaped differently?

Anyway, great stuff! A good use of time...

mplkn's gear list:mplkn's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica SL2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R +31 more
Greg7579
OP Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,505

mplkn wrote:

Coming in late on your IR posts after return of your 50R. I remember when you shipped the camera off...

These are very good and really interesting!

Very characteristically IR looking. Beautifully so.

I like the brick and stone as well as the foliage.

And as always, the IR sky...

So, about a million questions, well, maybe three, for starters, if you haven't already addressed in prior posts...

What's your approach to these? Frame in the finder, then check the results to tweak exposure? What does the dynamic range of the stripped sensor feels like - same as native? Is the histogram shaped differently?

Anyway, great stuff! A good use of time...

Every shot is on a monopod with the 45-100. It has OIS and no hot spots that I can see. I shoot at Custom WB1, which LifePixel put in my camera as a good start point. for most IR landscapes. On one of the shoots, I set up a custom WB of my own by filling the frame with green grass and tweaking the temp to get it neutral. It ended up being the same as custom WB1 that LifePixel programmed.

Anyway, in post I tweak the WB and then convert to B &W Number 4, and sometimes B&W 1 in LR. Those look the best usually. Then I play with the sliders a bit by adding a little White (sometimes) a little shadow opening (maybe) and some clarity. I drop the default sharpening from 40 to 25 or so. And that's about it. There is surprisingly little tweaking required. DR? I don't know because I'm not pushing at all in post and the details and image fidelity are just as stunning as ever with GFX.

The histo behavior seems normal to me. Post is super easy with these IR shots. I will say this.... With the GFX 100 and R72 IR filters, the exposures were very long and I always shot at least EC +1 because my initial shots were underexposed. But I do not experience that with the converted camera.

But I just realized something. I'm shooting those IR shots just like my normal shots - on Provia Standard. I likle that look in the EVF and have learned the behavior of the histo (in-camera-jpeg) vs the raw file. I always use it.

But maybe I shouldn't now on IR. But shy not? I convert o B&W in post and I'm not having any exposure problems.

But I'm always open to suggestion and of course am still learning shooting a converted camera.

Oh, also ... I shot every IR image with a CPL.  Do I need it?

Did you see all three of my recent IR threads? πŸ˜€

-- hide signature --
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,835

Greg7579 wrote:

Oh, also ... I shot every IR image with a CPL. Do I need it?

No. I never use one. But it does do something, so try it both ways.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 2,000

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Yeah, if you haven't tried it without, you have yet to experience what straight IR will do for you, such as in the sky, for instance.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Greg7579
OP Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,505

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Yeah, if you haven't tried it without, you have yet to experience what straight IR will do for you, such as in the sky, for instance.

Chris

OK...  I will try it next time without it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads