Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,992
Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Cannot Use Teleconverters

labalaba wrote:

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Yeah, it’s a shame that the MC 105 doesn’t take the TC-Z’s. Still, yet - the MC 105 appears to be sharper than the “G” version, and the price was lower than I’d expected, so I’m excited to get my hands on a copy!

Yes I am puzzled about the TC-Zs given that there is no long macro on the road map. Perhaps it will in fact work with them, we will have to see.

In Ricci's video preview of the 105mm macro, he explicitly points out that it cannot accept the 1.4x TC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJh7VZrjA4

Take a look at the cross-sectional diagram of the 105 Z, towards the bottom of that page: https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_mc105mmf28_vr_s/spec.htm

There is a (blue) aspherical element right at the mount. That blocks the protruding front element of the TC.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 21,875
Re: Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

djwuk wrote:

I’m definitely in for the 105. One thing I didn’t notice on it is a VR switch, I assume it’s always on when mounted on a powered up body, or activated when you activate the IBIS?

The VR seems not to work on IBIS bodies ( not needed for these).

With D SLR bodies , the AF-P lenses dont have any VR switch. Its done in the menu

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Kaj E Forum Pro • Posts: 10,117

1llusive wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

The resolution of the new 105 is astounding based on the MTF and confirmed by Ricci's video. The bokeh is also very nice.

Thinking about getting the Z MC 105mm f/2.8 S as a light micro/portrait combination lens.

It is interesting to note Nikons statement about AF-speed: "Extremely fast and precise AF control is achieved by using a newly developed stepping motor (STM) and multi-focusing system."

This may indicate that future premium Nikon lenses will have improved AF speed.

They all have this motor design as a feature of the Z lenses.

Are you sure. They haven't touted a "newly developed steeping motor" on the Nikon international site for any of the other newly released Z lenses I could find.

They also changed the S log on this lens.

I thought it may have been a response by Nikon to the complaints of slow focusing on the Zs.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,249

ANAYV wrote:

djwuk wrote:

I’m definitely in for the 105. One thing I didn’t notice on it is a VR switch, I assume it’s always on when mounted on a powered up body, or activated when you activate the IBIS?

That is incorrect.

For any Nikkor lens that has VR (whether Z-mount or F-mount with the FTZ adapter) on a Z camera which has IBIS, the lens VR works in conjunction with the in-body VR.  Both are controlled together using the camera menu.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +16 more
shuncheung Senior Member • Posts: 2,992

briantilley wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

djwuk wrote:

That is incorrect.

For any Nikkor lens that has VR (whether Z-mount or F-mount with the FTZ adapter) on a Z camera which has IBIS, the lens VR works in conjunction with the in-body VR. Both are controlled together using the camera menu.

Right, my 24-200 Z lens also has optical VR built into the lens, but it has no VR on/off switch on the lens barrel. Lens VR works in conjunction with IBIS and is controlled from the body. You can switch it all off from the camera.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more
TomS53 Senior Member • Posts: 1,748

ANAYV wrote:

djwuk wrote:

With D SLR bodies , the AF-P lenses dont have any VR switch. Its done in the menu

Stay healthy

ANAYV

My AF-P 70-300mm...E...VR lens has a VR switch.  It works fine with my D7200.  It also works with my Z7, however, if you switch the lens VR off, while attached to the Z7, IBIS is also turned off.  I have yet to try the 70-300 on my Z50, but then I have the 50-250 for it.  Stay Safe!

TomS53's gear list:TomS53's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +9 more
BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 9,192

ANAYV wrote:

djwuk wrote:

Not sure that's right. Unless it's specific to that lens. Source?

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,249

briantilley wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

djwuk wrote:

That is incorrect.

For any Nikkor lens that has VR (whether Z-mount or F-mount with the FTZ adapter) on a Z camera which has IBIS, the lens VR works in conjunction with the in-body VR. Both are controlled together using the camera menu.

For completeness, when using an F-mount Nikkor VR lens with a VR switch on a Z camera (using the FTZ), in-lens VR and in-body VR are both controlled together by the lens VR switch.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +16 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,221

just Tony wrote:

Fazal Majid wrote:

1llusive wrote:

Fazal Majid wrote:

If Nikon had made a S line 50mm, I would have gone for that instead of the 105. If Sigma comes up with a Z mount version of their 70mm f/2.8 macro, the Nikon 50mm simply isn't competitive and even the 105 is in for a tough fight.

Can you explain why you like 50 better than 105 for macro?

I don't shoot flowers or insects, mostly small items like watches, coins, electronics or the like that don't get spooked by close-by lenses (like an insect would, which is why 105mm macros are so popular), and the shorter working distance of a 50mm for tabletop macro photography is an advantage. Here's a photo of my old setup (, now it's a Z7 with Sigma 105/2.8 on FTZ):

Fuji X-T2 with XF 80mm Macro, on Manfrotto Magic Arm upgraded with Hejnar Photo Arca-Swiss clamp

If 80 mm on APS-C (shown in your picture) doesn't have a working distance that is too long right now, then 105mm on full frame shouldn't be either.

Of course you already possess the latter combination so that would be easy to try today unless that is too much of a load on that Magic Arm.

I often find I have to pull the camera all the way back and still end up with a tighter crop than I'd like.

Do you sometimes shoot with a 35mm macro on the Fuji? For a given framing on some object it would have a similar working distance to the 50mm that you indicate a strong interest in for the Z7.

I do sometimes shoot with the XF35mmF2 R WR, but it's not a macro. Macro isn't always about magnification, other factors matter like flatness of field. The close-focus on the 35/2 is 35cm.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +32 more
labalaba Contributing Member • Posts: 939
Re: Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Cannot Use Teleconverters

shuncheung wrote:

labalaba wrote:

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Yeah, it’s a shame that the MC 105 doesn’t take the TC-Z’s. Still, yet - the MC 105 appears to be sharper than the “G” version, and the price was lower than I’d expected, so I’m excited to get my hands on a copy!

Yes I am puzzled about the TC-Zs given that there is no long macro on the road map. Perhaps it will in fact work with them, we will have to see.

In Ricci's video preview of the 105mm macro, he explicitly points out that it cannot accept the 1.4x TC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJh7VZrjA4

Take a look at the cross-sectional diagram of the 105 Z, towards the bottom of that page: https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_mc105mmf28_vr_s/spec.htm

There is a (blue) aspherical element right at the mount. That blocks the protruding front element of the TC.

That's a shame.  Unless there is a secret long macro announcement coming.

RMcL Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Re: Pre-ordered mine from B&H today!

Yeah, I wasn’t going to pass on getting this one in my hands as soon as possible. Pre-ordered with B&H today. We’ll see what I can get for my Tamron SP 90mm F017 now… 

RMcL's gear list:RMcL's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +7 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 22,464

1llusive wrote:

Nikon say "Extremely fast and precise AF control is achieved by using a new developed stepping motor (STM) and multi-focusing system"

That is not new to the 105 macro! That was my point. Nikon has touted this from 2018 for the Z lenses.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-24-70mm-f%252f2.8-s.html

"The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S incorporates an all-new multi-focusing system, consisting of two AF drive units precisely synchronized..."

The same is true of the 70-200 even though they don't state it on its page.

Nikon say several Z lenses including the 20, 24mm, 35mm and 85mm primes have a "multi focussing system".

What is new is mention of a newly developed stepping motor to help achieve "Extremely fast and precise AF control".

It is likely Nikon uses a different stepping motor in each lens.

It is also likely that faster stepping motors than when Z was launched 2.5 years ago are available.

Who makes the motors used by Nikon is another topic.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +23 more
Leonard Shepherd

labalaba wrote:

That's a shame. Unless there is a secret long macro announcement coming.

There should be a new road map soon. Whether it will include a 200 f4 D replacement is unknown.

Kenko make a 2 tube extension tube set specifically in Z mount.

We might find out within about a month whether these will create space for the TC's.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +23 more
labalaba Contributing Member • Posts: 939

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

labalaba wrote:

There should be a new road map soon. Whether it will include a 200 f4 D replacement is unknown.

Kenko make a 2 tube extension tube set specifically in Z mount.

We might find out within about a month whether these will create space for the TC's.

that could be an option, at the expense of infinity focus, I presume.  Seems a bit jury-rigged.

OP Roy Kikuta Senior Member • Posts: 2,005

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

1llusive wrote:

Nikon say "Extremely fast and precise AF control is achieved by using a new developed stepping motor (STM) and multi-focusing system"

That is not new to the 105 macro! That was my point. Nikon has touted this from 2018 for the Z lenses.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-24-70mm-f%252f2.8-s.html

"The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S incorporates an all-new multi-focusing system, consisting of two AF drive units precisely synchronized..."

The same is true of the 70-200 even though they don't state it on its page.

Nikon say several Z lenses including the 20, 24mm, 35mm and 85mm primes have a "multi focussing system".

What is new is mention of a newly developed stepping motor to help achieve "Extremely fast and precise AF control".

It is likely Nikon uses a different stepping motor in each lens.

It is also likely that faster stepping motors than when Z was launched 2.5 years ago are available.

Who makes the motors used by Nikon is another topic.

It seems it's not just hardware - but the software to drive the multi-focus system can seemingly be specifically tuned to a particular lens... this from the NikonUSA,com website describing the MC 105:

"The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is fine-tuned for close-distance focusing. A new autofocus algorithm accounts for minute distance changes that alter the effective aperture, maximizing the resolving power of the S-Line optics."

just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
Odd statement from Nikon
  • A new autofocus algorithm accounts for minute distance changes
  • that alter the effective aperture,
  • maximizing the resolving power of the S-Line optics."

I'd like to hear that explained. Right now my best guess is that there may be two or three unrelated things mashed up there.

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

OP Roy Kikuta Senior Member • Posts: 2,005
Re: Odd statement from Nikon

just Tony wrote:

I'd like to hear that explained. Right now my best guess is that there may be two or three unrelated things mashed up there.

Me, three!  I also am really curious to get more details.  But the takeaway for me was that AF algorithms can be tailored for specific lenses to maximize performance - a statement I’ve never heard Nikon make in the past with DSLR AF-S lenses.  Nikon also claims that the new multi-focus system has the power to move large, heavy lens elements around more rapidly and accurately - something that should be of interest to birders using large/long exotic lenses.

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,165

labalaba wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

labalaba wrote:

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Why not just use a tube if you want more magnification?  Or do you want more working distance?

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,165
Re: Odd statement from Nikon

just Tony wrote:

I think it has something to do with the fact that macro lenses change aperture slightly  with focus distance and they want that synchronized perfectly, and quickly, with the new 105 perhaps.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Leonard Shepherd

Roy Kikuta wrote:

It seems it's not just hardware - but the software to drive the multi-focus system can seemingly be specifically tuned to a particular lens... this from the NikonUSA,com website describing the MC 105:

"The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is fine-tuned for close-distance focusing. A new autofocus algorithm accounts for minute distance changes that alter the effective aperture, maximizing the resolving power of the S-Line optics."

Macro lenses usually are designed to give their best performance at close focus distances.

The mention of  "effective aperture" probably refers to this type of lens from Nikon when at 1:1 magnification f16 taking the image at f8 combined with an infinity level of exposure instead of 2 stops more for close-up  exposure.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads