Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
AngelFish Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S $999.95 USD

I'm slightly annoyed. US website $999.95 - which is approx 900 Swiss Francs. Here on Nikons Swiss website however, 1249 Swiss Francs to pre-order   ..... I'll be waiting until I can get it elsewhere at the US price.

AngelFish's gear list:AngelFish's gear list
Nikon Z50 GoPro Hero9 Black
DanishMacro Regular Member • Posts: 162

AngelFish wrote:

I'm slightly annoyed. US website $999.95 - which is approx 900 Swiss Francs. Here on Nikons Swiss website however, 1249 Swiss Francs to pre-order ..... I'll be waiting until I can get it elsewhere at the US price.

US prices can usually not be directly converted for any type of product, if you're in Europe. That is especially true for electronics.

For example, the Xbox Series X is $499 in the US. Here in Denmark, the converted price would be 3.293 DKK. The real price is 3.899 DKK or about $590.

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron 70-210mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more

DanishMacro wrote:

AngelFish wrote:

I'm slightly annoyed. US website $999.95 - which is approx 900 Swiss Francs. Here on Nikons Swiss website however, 1249 Swiss Francs to pre-order ..... I'll be waiting until I can get it elsewhere at the US price.

US prices can usually not be directly converted for any type of product, if you're in Europe. That is especially true for electronics.

For example, the Xbox Series X is $499 in the US. Here in Denmark, the converted price would be 3.293 DKK. The real price is 3.899 DKK or about $590.

Normally Nikon stuff is available here from 3rd party electronics sites, 200-300 francs cheaper than on Nikon's own website. So hopefully if I wait for a while I can get it for 900-1000chf.

BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 9,205

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Leswick II wrote:

Nice VR, bla bla, but I'd rather have 105/3.5 or F4 and give more than 1:1 macro. Oh, wait, I already have 55/3.5 macro without spending $650. The 40mm looks like a nice addition.

Not a resounding amount of interest in the MC 105... Perhaps that means there will be fewer people buying this lens - good for me!

I think there's a great deal of interest in this lens. But a bunch of nitpickers are out in full force.

BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 9,205

AngelFish wrote:

Typically online shop prices are (or were) lower (even for legit imports) though. Will just take a bit of time.

monu123 Junior Member • Posts: 45

I just thought I'll add that the small design changes to this lens is nice, compared to what Nikon have been doing with their S-Line so far.

There have been some complaints on the placement of the control ring being too close to the camera body, resulting people often turn the ring without realising (which often leads to completely different camera settings, depending on how the ring was configured). The new design of the lens has made the metal trim at the back longer, and pushed the control ring further up the lens, so I think any accidental turns of the ring would be minimized, which is great. I believe the texture of the ring is a more knurled finish and should help people quickly know what they are turning - so this seems like a well-thought-out design, and hopefully all the future S-Line lenses, like the upcoming 100-400mm and 85mm share this improvement as well!

I do wish that they added a VR switch to the lens though, I wonder why Nikon removed it on all of their Z mount VR lenses in the first place.

On a separate note, could anyone possible try out using the Z 1.4TC with some extension tubes, and a non-compatible Z lens like the 24-70 f4, for example? This new lens unfortunately is not compatible with TCs, but I was wondering if you could have a TC attached to the camera body, then some extension tubes and finally mount a lens onto this - I'm hoping this would allow sufficient space for the TC. Maybe extension tubes without electronic contacts? Would be very interesting if someone could try that out. Thanks.

BISCUT Contributing Member • Posts: 519

fz750 wrote:

rangel28 wrote:

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Leswick II wrote:

Nice VR, bla bla, but I'd rather have 105/3.5 or F4 and give more than 1:1 macro. Oh, wait, I already have 55/3.5 macro without spending $650. The 40mm looks like a nice addition.

Not a resounding amount of interest in the MC 105... Perhaps that means there will be fewer people buying this lens - good for me!

I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular lens. The price is less than many expected

Unfortunately, whilst I don't think $999 is in any way a bargain (sign of the times..), it's even more expensive here (Switzerland) where the recommended retail price is around $1400. What a ripoff..

Is the additional cost in Switzerland due to a form of taxes?  Or did Nikon decide the Swiss should pay 40% more than everyone else?  If not, "What a ripoff" is a rather disingenuous statement.  If it is the case, I'd agree.  Which one is it?

BISCUT's gear list:BISCUT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +7 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 22,483

As a wildlife photographer mine is pre- ordered - hopefully for the twenty fourth of June as I start a wildlife weekend on the 25th!

First deliveries within about two weeks of the official announcement is a new move for Nikon.

Ricci's initial review of this S version shows a good improvement in resolution compared to the 16-year-old optical design of the F version.

A very close to symmetrical optical design, an aspherical element, twin AF motors and Arneo coating should each help keep optical quality high.

VR at 4.5 stops is 50% greater than the F mount - though macro novices might need to be aware that the effect of camera shake increases by several stops by one to one magnification.

I expect with the help of VR it will be possible to get pin sharp images hand holding at one to one magnificationI. No way - other than flash - is a sharp image hand holding at one to one normally possible at 1/125 without VR on an F mount body.

I can live without compatibility with the S converters.

The UK price including 20% sales tax is £999.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +23 more
Nebido
Nebido Regular Member • Posts: 163

Calibur wrote:

Ricci Talks video is up

Nikon Z MC 105mm F2.8 VR S. First look at the Z 105mm Micro Lens. Picture /Video samples. - YouTube

That's what i expected from the Z MC 105mm, my pre-order is out, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Starting price in Germany is 1099,- €, but still cheaper than i expected and for my personal needs it's a must have lens, i have been waiting for since starting with the Z-system.

Nebido's gear list:Nebido's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z MC 105mm F2.8 VR S +24 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,226

rangel28 wrote:

I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular lens. The price is less than many expected and it's probably sharper than the F mount version.

The Sigma one is sharper than the F, and half the price.

If Nikon had made a S line 50mm, I would have gone for that instead of the 105. If Sigma comes up with a Z mount version of their 70mm f/2.8 macro, the Nikon 50mm simply isn't competitive and even the 105 is in for a tough fight.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +32 more

BISCUT wrote:

Is the additional cost in Switzerland due to a form of taxes? Or did Nikon decide the Swiss should pay 40% more than everyone else? If not, "What a ripoff" is a rather disingenuous statement. If it is the case, I'd agree. Which one is it?

Swiss tax is pretty low at 8%. The Swiss price is in line actually with the UK price, but tax in the UK is 20% .... so there is not a logical explanation (that I can figure out anyway).

AlanWatson Regular Member • Posts: 462

AngelFish wrote:

BISCUT wrote:

Is the additional cost in Switzerland due to a form of taxes? Or did Nikon decide the Swiss should pay 40% more than everyone else? If not, "What a ripoff" is a rather disingenuous statement. If it is the case, I'd agree. Which one is it?

Swiss tax is pretty low at 8%. The Swiss price is in line actually with the UK price, but tax in the UK is 20% .... so there is not a logical explanation (that I can figure out anyway).

International price comparisons are always obscure at some level. I don't know whether Nikon have ever made any statement on this, but other companies usually answer that the costs of doing business in different countries varies (regulations, cost of living, taxation, what exchange rate modelling they used when they set the prices, etc), and as you never get to see their calculations you can never know how much is that and how much is a case of what price they think will make most profit in a given country.

I've just compared a couple of other Nikon products (Z6II and Z 14-30) and it seems to be the same story: Nikon's list price in Switzerland, after allowing for the exchange rate and different tax rates, is about 10% higher than the UK list price.

Curiously if I do the same exercise for Canon it seems that their products, correcting for tax and exchange rates, are 10% more expensive in the UK than Switzerland...

AlanWatson wrote:

Curiously if I do the same exercise for Canon it seems that their products, correcting for tax and exchange rates, are 10% more expensive in the UK than Switzerland...

That could be explained by the difference in VAT between the UK and Switzerland I guess (20% vs 8%). The other way around is likely just trying to profit from the general high cost of living in Switzerland.

AlanWatson Regular Member • Posts: 462

AngelFish wrote:

AlanWatson wrote:

That could be explained by the difference in VAT between the UK and Switzerland I guess (20% vs 8%). The other way around is likely just trying to profit from the general high cost of living in Switzerland.

No, I removed VAT from all prices before making the comparison.

Either Canon think the UK will pay more for their products than Switzerland, or vice-versa for Nikon, or the way the companies are structured means that their differential costs differ, or they are making different assumptions (e.g. about how the exchange rates will behave over a period of 6 months or more). Or some combination of all of these (plus factors I've not thought of).

AlanWatson wrote:

No, I removed VAT from all prices before making the comparison.

Ah! Curious! I Should have gone with Canon 

Kaj E Forum Pro • Posts: 10,124

Joop_S wrote:

fz750 wrote:

rangel28 wrote:

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Leswick II wrote:

I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular lens. The price is less than many expected

Unfortunately, whilst I don't think $999 is in any way a bargain (sign of the times..), it's even more expensive here (Switzerland) where the recommended retail price is around $1400. What a ripoff..

The price in the Netherlands is €1099 with 21% VAT. € 868,21 ex VAT. The price without tax is the US price. With the rate today the price in Europe is $1058,82.

The US prices are always without tax. When you buy tax is added. This is a way to clearly show how much of the price goes to local government.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

The resolution of the new 105 is astounding based on the MTF and confirmed by Ricci's video. The bokeh is also very nice.

Thinking about getting the Z MC 105mm f/2.8 S as a light micro/portrait combination lens.

It is interesting to note Nikons statement about AF-speed: "Extremely fast and precise AF control is achieved by using a newly developed stepping motor (STM) and multi-focusing system."

This may indicate that future premium Nikon lenses will have improved AF speed.

Unfortunately the 50mm Z micro does not have that great of an MTF. Sharpness and bokeh well below the that f the Z 105. It is not an S lens.  But you get a more compact lens.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

OP Roy Kikuta Senior Member • Posts: 2,008

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

As a wildlife photographer mine is pre- ordered - hopefully for the twenty fourth of June as I start a wildlife weekend on the 25th!

Likewise, mine is also preordered.

First deliveries within about two weeks of the official announcement is a new move for Nikon.

Press release said “late June”?

Ricci's initial review of this S version shows a good improvement in resolution compared to the 16-year-old optical design of the F version.

Yes - that such a difference was clearly visible in a video was surprising.

A very close to symmetrical optical design, an aspherical element, twin AF motors and Arneo coating should each help keep optical quality high.

Was there an actual mention of “twin” motors - I only saw “multiple” mentioned.

VR at 4.5 stops is 50% greater than the F mount - though macro novices might need to be aware that the effect of camera shake increases by several stops by one to one magnification.

I expect with the help of VR it will be possible to get pin sharp images hand holding at one to one magnificationI. No way - other than flash - is a sharp image hand holding at one to one normally possible at 1/125 without VR on an F mount body.

Yes - I’ve relied on small flash (SB500) in HS sync mode to freeze motion at higher magnification - more effective VR would be useful.

There must be a technical reason why Nikon didn’t allow Z TC’s to be used - I would be interested in finding out why.  I’ve seldom (actually only 1 time) used a TC on various f-mount micros, but I dislike previously available “features” being deleted without explanation - maybe the beancounters weighed in to make a future MC 200mm more attractive? 🙄

The UK price including 20% sales tax is £999.

My true cost is as follows:

-  996.95     Lens

-    37.58      Shipping (No decent camera store where I live)

-     48.75     State tax

—————

$1083.28     Total

’Hope your lens arrives in time for your Wildlife Weekend”!

Aloha

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,267

monu123 wrote:

On a separate note, could anyone possible try out using the Z 1.4TC with some extension tubes, and a non-compatible Z lens like the 24-70 f4, for example? This new lens unfortunately is not compatible with TCs, but I was wondering if you could have a TC attached to the camera body, then some extension tubes and finally mount a lens onto this - I'm hoping this would allow sufficient space for the TC. Maybe extension tubes without electronic contacts? Would be very interesting if someone could try that out. Thanks.

I did try something similar with my set of Meike tubes (the MK-Z-AF1) after I picked up the Z TC 1.4x.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

These particular tubes have a rectangular baffle inside the rear mount area, so the projecting front element of the TC clashes with the baffle and prevents the tube being mounted.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +16 more

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Was there an actual mention of “twin” motors - I only saw “multiple” mentioned.

On Mikons international website, with plenty of other info about the lens. I alwaus go there before buying a new lens. I need to see at least the MTF.

There must be a technical reason why Nikon didn’t allow Z TC’s to be used - I would be interested in finding out why. I’ve seldom (actually only 1 time) used a TC on various f-mount micros, but I dislike previously available “features” being deleted without explanation - maybe the beancounters weighed in to make a future MC 200mm more attractive? 🙄

The Z tele-converters are specifically designed for tele-lenses (the narrow part sticking in to the main lens, not suitable for wider lenses with the Z lens designs). The 105 Z has a wide lens element close to the back flange.

Aloha

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
WSSA member #13

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads