This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2021

Started Jun 1, 2021 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 456
This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2021

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

  • Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2021: MayApril - March - Feb - Jan

2020: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2019: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

-- hide signature --

WSSA Member #454 - Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association

 holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,102
Grey heron
6

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
Re: Grey heron

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

Very nice!

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2021
3

Life returns with spring's arrival

Daffodils in English Bay

White-crowned Sparrow singing away hoping to attract females

Pisaster ochraceus (Ochre sea star) rebounding from massive die-off from a mysterious disease, called “sea star wasting syndrome” (SSWS)

Golden Chain (Laburnum) tree is a native to Southern Europe. It is beautiful but poisonous.

Under the watchful eye of mama

Young raccoon foraging for food

Pond turtle soaking up the spring sun

Tulips

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

 Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2021

Nice stuff and good variety. I especially like the Ochre sea star.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2021

RichDitch wrote:

Nice stuff and good variety. I especially like the Ochre sea star.

Thanks Rich. Sea stars used to be such a common sight until 2013 when this mysterious wasting syndrome nearly wiped many starfish species out. This Ochre is one that is rebounding somewhat. The sunflower starfish, once common, is now listed as critically endangered!

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

 Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,305
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2021

Sangster wrote:

Life returns with spring's arrival

Daffodils in English Bay

White-crowned Sparrow singing away hoping to attract females

Pisaster ochraceus (Ochre sea star) rebounding from massive die-off from a mysterious disease, called “sea star wasting syndrome” (SSWS)

Golden Chain (Laburnum) tree is a native to Southern Europe. It is beautiful but poisonous.

Under the watchful eye of mama

Young raccoon foraging for food

Pond turtle soaking up the spring sun

Tulips

Very interesting set of nice pictures. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

André

 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,305
Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)
5

I'm reprocessing images I took a while ago, using now DxO PL4 with its amazing Prime NR engine. I also use now the Nik Collection (which is part of PL).

It's not the last version of Nik Collection. I don't know yet if I'm going to upgrade. I need to download the trial version to see what's really useful.

Anyway, using the previous version, I must say I'm impressed by the results.

Some of these pictures were posted here before:

Took the J5 for a short trip...: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

The comparison is surprising...

C&C welcome

-- hide signature --

André

 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

An interesting place, and very nice results at those ISO values.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 2,060
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

Very nice André, I particularly like the first one.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,829
Re: Grey heron

Delightful!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,829
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2021

Sangster wrote:

Life returns with spring's arrival

Daffodils in English Bay

White-crowned Sparrow singing away hoping to attract females

Pisaster ochraceus (Ochre sea star) rebounding from massive die-off from a mysterious disease, called “sea star wasting syndrome” (SSWS)

Golden Chain (Laburnum) tree is a native to Southern Europe. It is beautiful but poisonous.

Under the watchful eye of mama

Young raccoon foraging for food

Pond turtle soaking up the spring sun

Tulips

That Golden Chain is called, translated from Swedish Golden rain!

I loved that picture of the sea star!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,829
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

André BARELIER wrote:

I'm reprocessing images I took a while ago, using now DxO PL4 with its amazing Prime NR engine. I also use now the Nik Collection (which is part of PL).

It's not the last version of Nik Collection. I don't know yet if I'm going to upgrade. I need to download the trial version to see what's really useful.

Anyway, using the previous version, I must say I'm impressed by the results.

Some of these pictures were posted here before:

Took the J5 for a short trip...: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

The comparison is surprising...

C&C welcome

Well, I got into DxO photo-editing software, thanks to you, years back, and I am just now trying out the Nik 4 (I have the oldest version, but have just used it fleetingly)!
Darn impressive I must say, if my shots get as good as yours.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,305
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

I'm reprocessing images I took a while ago, using now DxO PL4 with its amazing Prime NR engine. I also use now the Nik Collection (which is part of PL).

It's not the last version of Nik Collection. I don't know yet if I'm going to upgrade. I need to download the trial version to see what's really useful.

Anyway, using the previous version, I must say I'm impressed by the results.

Some of these pictures were posted here before:

Took the J5 for a short trip...: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

The comparison is surprising...

C&C welcome

Well, I got into DxO photo-editing software, thanks to you, years back, and I am just now trying out the Nik 4 (I have the oldest version, but have just used it fleetingly)!
Darn impressive I must say, if my shots get as good as yours.

Thanks Tord. Nowadays, photoediting softwares are so powerful that you're wondering if it's still worth putting a lot of money in cameras and lenses.

Not to say that we could get wonderful pictures with crappy stuff, but when I see the results I can achieve with a J5, not sure it's worth keeping my D7200 + lenses (well...., in fact, I'm just talking: I like using an OVF).

-- hide signature --

André

 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,102
Re: Grey heron

RichDitch wrote:

Very nice!

many thanks

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,102
Re: Grey heron

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Delightful!

many thanks, nice to be taking  few shots again

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,829
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

André BARELIER wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

I'm reprocessing images I took a while ago, using now DxO PL4 with its amazing Prime NR engine. I also use now the Nik Collection (which is part of PL).

It's not the last version of Nik Collection. I don't know yet if I'm going to upgrade. I need to download the trial version to see what's really useful.

Anyway, using the previous version, I must say I'm impressed by the results.

Some of these pictures were posted here before:

Took the J5 for a short trip...: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

The comparison is surprising...

C&C welcome

Well, I got into DxO photo-editing software, thanks to you, years back, and I am just now trying out the Nik 4 (I have the oldest version, but have just used it fleetingly)!
Darn impressive I must say, if my shots get as good as yours.

Thanks Tord. Nowadays, photoediting softwares are so powerful that you're wondering if it's still worth putting a lot of money in cameras and lenses.

Not to say that we could get wonderful pictures with crappy stuff, but when I see the results I can achieve with a J5, not sure it's worth keeping my D7200 + lenses (well...., in fact, I'm just talking: I like using an OVF).

A well-heeled friend went from Canon FX (using the best of the best, of course), to m43 (swiftly moving up to E-M1 X, and the long lenses there are for that lovely camera).
His bird shots are very good (to put it lightly), and he knows his PS, but in low light, we all run into problems, so now he's got the best lenses there are for the Fuji GFX 100 S, plus the camera and enjoys it a lot. But he has to get close, so for seabirds he's using a flaoting hide of some sort, and get fantastic shots. But you got to be close, as there are no long lenses for the fantastic camera so hides and getting close is essential!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

These are impressive viewed at 100%, André. We don't have such grand places of worship here in Vancouver. It is nice to be able to travel the world from one's desktop as this pandemic drags on. Thank you for sharing.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

 Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,305
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

Sangster wrote:

These are impressive viewed at 100%, André. We don't have such grand places of worship here in Vancouver. It is nice to be able to travel the world from one's desktop as this pandemic drags on. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. The merit goes to the software.

France is still a very religious country, even though religion is on the wane.

I am not religious, but I admire these old churches built a long time ago.

-- hide signature --

André

 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,829
Re: Now that I have DxOPL4 and I'm better at PP...(I think)

André BARELIER wrote:

Sangster wrote:

These are impressive viewed at 100%, André. We don't have such grand places of worship here in Vancouver. It is nice to be able to travel the world from one's desktop as this pandemic drags on. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. The merit goes to the software.

France is still a very religious country, even though religion is on the wane.

I am not religious, but I admire these old churches built a long time ago.

I had a friend in St Nazaire who wasn't religious one bit, but he loved churches, and I even helped to repair the one in Daumeray, that his organization for disabled youngsters was during their summer break.
Anyway, we went to Nantes and its fantastic cathedral (that sadly caught fire soon after, and then once again, not that long ago.
I had my Minox 35 and the tiny Minox tripod (the size of a pen), and shot straight up in both churches, like your shots, and that little FX camera (using modern parlance), weighing around 200 grams, with film and battery, took superb shots, if it was let be. You needed to set the distance manually (no focusing assistance of any kind, not even in the viewfinder), and press the shutter release remotely, and wait till the shutter closed.
I loved my two Minoxes, but getting allergic to developers and stuff made me stop using them for B&W, and then one of them took a bath (a sweet girl had borrowed it, and she was thrown overboard when they won a race. Sadly she had my camera in her pocket ...

Seawater and cameras don't mix well — a friend in Thailand (Tom Skoglund, ornithologist par excellence, and spoke fluent Thai, sadly gone just too early) managed to fall into a salina (they are everywhere along the Thai coast), with his beloved Nikon and his pride, a gorgeous Nikon lens (300/2.8, maybe, it is some time back). He washed off the grime and put both in a pail of water (after rinsing), and the next day he drove all the way to Nikon in Bangkok.
His friend the technician at Nikon had no high hopes, but a couple of days later the phone rang and the happy technician could report that the lens was as good as new, after disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly, but the camera was a goner.
Tom was a pensioner from Finland residing in Thailand, so he hadn't that much money, and a wife and son to take care of, but he managed to get a new camera, a later model, for a friendly price. Some years later he was gone, but his son in Finland took care of his Thai wife and half-brother, both being Finnish citizens by now.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads