Clean Gitzo tripod

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
SuzukiGS750EZ Junior Member • Posts: 28
Clean Gitzo tripod

Hey guys. I have a GT3531, new to me. My first question is, besides gitzo grease, would krytox or silglyde be a better choice? I'm not paying $32 for grease tubes. Secondly, can I throw the threaded locking portion with the rubber grip and all into my ultrasonic cleaner with original simple green? Do I wipe the legs down with water, simple green or rubbing alcohol? Any other tips?

Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,852
Re: Clean Gitzo tripod

I hand clean my Gitzo tripod with a little alcohol and lots of rags.  I don't know what cleaners you are suggesting or how an ultrasonic cleaner will affect the tripod or its parts, so I would opt for a more labor intensive approach.  I use moly grease when I reassemble my tripod.

Mark Banas
Mark Banas Contributing Member • Posts: 611

SuzukiGS750EZ wrote:

Hey guys. I have a GT3531, new to me. My first question is, besides gitzo grease, would krytox or silglyde be a better choice? I'm not paying $32 for grease tubes. Secondly, can I throw the threaded locking portion with the rubber grip and all into my ultrasonic cleaner with original simple green? Do I wipe the legs down with water, simple green or rubbing alcohol? Any other tips?

Is it particularly gritty, nasty, smelly? A GT3541 is an older model Mountaineer (pre-2016, I think), and unless you really need to, don't go overboard with the cleaning. You can wipe the legs down with pretty much anything you'd put on your skin as long as you rinse it with water and let it dry before reassembly. If the threaded locks have grit or salt in them, they should be rinsed in water, have the threads brushed out with an old toothbrush and a good lithium grease reapplied sparingly.

BTW, I have no idea what an ultrasonic cleaner would do to the rubber jacket... but you can get replacements from gitzospares.com if you destroy them!

Mark Banas's gear list:Mark Banas's gear list
Pentax K-3 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
The Grumpy Snapper Contributing Member • Posts: 573

I wipe the legs down occasionally. About once a decade I disassemble and re-grease with silicone grease.

-- hide signature --

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Which makes monkeys smarter than photographers who give their work away.

OP SuzukiGS750EZ Junior Member • Posts: 28

The tripod is new to me. I replaced both O-Rings on the hook assembly initially. Bought a bag for it as well. I'm trying to get it in a state where I know it's "fresh".

I'd like to clean the locking collars with the rubber inserts on them but don't know if they're glued or just press on and if they are, will water get between them? I'll clean all the threads and either use silglyde or krytox, i don't know which is more appropriate. I'm assuming Krytox GPL207.

PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,589

SuzukiGS750EZ wrote:

It's just a tripod. No electronics, no calibration, no whatever, just some tubes and screws. I just clean it with water, sometimes with some dishwasher. And I use cheap grease (that doesn't attack plastic). No need for "high performance greases", ultrasonic cleaning or overthinking.

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads