X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

Started May 30, 2021 | Discussions
mcantsin Regular Member • Posts: 112
X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

It seems that I've stumbled into a severe bug of the X-T4. I took lots of pictures of an event, but lost quite some of them (ca. 200 of ca. 2200). When opening the SD card, I found out that the camera had stopped saving pictures after the DCIM/101_FUJI folder contained 4096 files (2048 .RAF raw files + 2048 JPEGs), and didn't create a 102_FUJI folder, but essentially wrote pictures into the void after 4096 had been stored. (4096 = 2^12 = 12bit, so this looks like some computer bug.)

I used two Lexar 128 GB V90 SD cards with dual card/redundant saving enabled. Both had been formatted in-camera before the shoot. Both cards ended up containing the same files, but didn't contain any more pictures than the 4096 in DCIM/101_FUJI. Both cards weren't full, but still had 32 GB free space. I also got no error messages when shooting the pictures after the ones that got saved.

The camera has the latest firmware (1.20).

Has anyone encountered the same issue? (Needless to say, it's rather disturbing...)

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 12,091
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?
 a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
OP mcantsin Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?
2

Turns out that I need to correct myself: The camera sees and displays the pictures taken above 4096, but they aren't seen by any USB card reader (Sandisk, Kingston, Hama) that I put the SD card in.

I can transfer the remaining files when I put the X-T4 into USB card reader mode and connect it directly via USB-C to a computer.

Could that be an incompatibility to the SD card/ExFAT standard?

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,473
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

mcantsin wrote:

Turns out that I need to correct myself: The camera sees and displays the pictures taken above 4096, but they aren't seen by any USB card reader (Sandisk, Kingston, Hama) that I put the SD card in.

I can transfer the remaining files when I put the X-T4 into USB card reader mode and connect it directly via USB-C to a computer.

Could that be an incompatibility to the SD card/ExFAT standard?

More likely it’s whatever you are using on the computer to count the files

 Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
OP mcantsin Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

Greybeard2017 wrote:

mcantsin wrote:

Turns out that I need to correct myself: The camera sees and displays the pictures taken above 4096, but they aren't seen by any USB card reader (Sandisk, Kingston, Hama) that I put the SD card in.

I can transfer the remaining files when I put the X-T4 into USB card reader mode and connect it directly via USB-C to a computer.

Could that be an incompatibility to the SD card/ExFAT standard?

More likely it’s whatever you are using on the computer to count the files

No, the remaining files aren't physically displayed...

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,473
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

mcantsin wrote:

Greybeard2017 wrote:

mcantsin wrote:

Turns out that I need to correct myself: The camera sees and displays the pictures taken above 4096, but they aren't seen by any USB card reader (Sandisk, Kingston, Hama) that I put the SD card in.

I can transfer the remaining files when I put the X-T4 into USB card reader mode and connect it directly via USB-C to a computer.

Could that be an incompatibility to the SD card/ExFAT standard?

More likely it’s whatever you are using on the computer to count the files

No, the remaining files aren't physically displayed...

What are you using to display them? (or not)

 Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
OP mcantsin Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?
8

Greybeard2017 wrote:

No, the remaining files aren't physically displayed...

What are you using to display them? (or not)

I found the culprit - Linux. Linux' current implemention of exFAT (which oddly enough was done in collaboration with Microsoft) doesn't seem to support more than 4096 files in a directory. I opened the SD card in Windows 10, and the problem is gone. Will report a bug to the Linux kernel developers.

mtsandersen New Member • Posts: 13
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

mcantsin wrote:

It seems that I've stumbled into a severe bug of the X-T4. I took lots of pictures of an event, but lost quite some of them (ca. 200 of ca. 2200). When opening the SD card, I found out that the camera had stopped saving pictures after the DCIM/101_FUJI folder contained 4096 files (2048 .RAF raw files + 2048 JPEGs), and didn't create a 102_FUJI folder, but essentially wrote pictures into the void after 4096 had been stored. (4096 = 2^12 = 12bit, so this looks like some computer bug.)

I used two Lexar 128 GB V90 SD cards with dual card/redundant saving enabled. Both had been formatted in-camera before the shoot. Both cards ended up containing the same files, but didn't contain any more pictures than the 4096 in DCIM/101_FUJI. Both cards weren't full, but still had 32 GB free space. I also got no error messages when shooting the pictures after the ones that got saved.

The camera has the latest firmware (1.20).

Has anyone encountered the same issue? (Needless to say, it's rather disturbing...)

The same issue affects Macs reading SD cards from Fuji cameras with the latest firmware update, inc my X-T3. Older firmware only allows 999 files in a folder before creating a new one, whereas with the firmware update, that limit is 9999, and hence showing the bug previously hidden. The bug seems to be how the camera writes the directory entry, as the files are still physically there, but the Mac (and Linux) can't see more than the first 4096 files in any one folder (there can be other folders with up to 4096 files).

MacOS, and I presume Linux (I don't have a distro to test), has no problem reading and writing any number of files to a folder on the SD card from the Fuji, even the folders with hidden files. And it can import all images by connecting the camera via USB.

TylerQ
TylerQ Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?
mtsandersen New Member • Posts: 13
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

TylerQ wrote:

https://youtu.be/0bqOB_XGBVE

Linux patch working around the firmware bug by "some camera company" which writes incorrectly to theSD card  directory.

https:/lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/000001d779fd$4e12ca20$ea385e60$@samsung.com/T/

A workaround is to open up the affected image folder on the SD card and add a single file, forcing the directory to be updated, and all the files to reappear.

Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,473
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?

mtsandersen wrote:

TylerQ wrote:

https://youtu.be/0bqOB_XGBVE

Linux patch working around the firmware bug by "some camera company" which writes incorrectly to theSD card directory.

https:/lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/000001d779fd$4e12ca20$ea385e60$@samsung.com/T/

A workaround is to open up the affected image folder on the SD card and add a single file, forcing the directory to be updated, and all the files to reappear.

Fixing the directory may be as simple as just opening one of the jpeg files in Preview - I don't have the patience to do this over again to be sure that this was the solution for me

 Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-S10
OP mcantsin Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: X-T4: no more than 4096 pictures?
1

mtsandersen wrote:

TylerQ wrote:

https://youtu.be/0bqOB_XGBVE

Linux patch working around the firmware bug by "some camera company" which writes incorrectly to theSD card directory.

https:/lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/000001d779fd$4e12ca20$ea385e60$@samsung.com/T/

This Linux patch originated from this forum thread, btw. - I reported the bug to the maintainers of Linux' ExFAT driver, helped them with a sample file system dump, and the fix (actually a workaround for Fujifilm's buggy ExFAT support) will be in the next Linux kernel versions. The beauty of Open Source!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads