Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Matthias Harder New Member • Posts: 17
Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

Hey everyone,

after reading and comparing a lot I want to get some more opinions before making a decision. I know this camera comparison has been made a lot and here I am, still not sure which one fits my specific situation best.

I will get a new camera, I'm not yet invested in either (any) system.

It now comes down to the Fuji X-T4 with the XF 35mm 1.4, the Sony A7iii with the SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss or the Nikon Z6 II with the Nikkor Z 50mm 1.8 S.

Right now I can get the Fuji combo here in Europe new for 2028€ (about 2400$ incl. tax) the Sony for 2318€ (about 2825$ incl. tax) and the Nikon combo for 2228€ (about 2715$ incl. tax).

I mainly shoot portraits of people and nature. I don't know how to put it differently. Not landscape but rather individual trees and foliage, if that makes sense.

The quickest af isn't as important to me, I won't shoot sports or pets. A reliable one is.

Video might be important to me at one point, right now it isn't so it's a nice to have, should I one day decide to shoot videos as well but not more.

In the past I owned an a5100, which I adapted some old Canon glass to and shot with manual focus. The results were great and the sony menu didn't bother me at the time. But I also haven't tried any other menu so maybe if I pick up another system it's going to be this whole other level of fun which I just haven't experienced yet

My thoughts so far are:

I love the Fujis images colours and texture. They have a beautiful filmish look to them that I like. If I get good colours straight out of the cam I don't mind and I don't have to tinker with raw files for every picture I take.

At the same time, the Sonys images often just look sharper. I've read that the Fuji produces sharp images as well. And if I zoom in on them, I often find them lacking in sharpness. The Sony on the other hand, produces this clinical sharpness that I'm looking for if I spend over 2000€ on a camera system
Still I'm not sure if I like the out of camera jpgs of the Sony A7iii as much so I might have to get out of my way to start shooting Raw.
Colours on the Nikon seem to be more to my liking than Sony and some of the images I've seen with this Nikon combo look even sharper and I'm not sure if they aren't almost too clinically perfect to me 🙈 I also know that the lenses I've chosen are a huge factor and I think I like the look of the photos shot with the 55 mm 1.8 Zeiss just a bit better than the Nikkor Z 50mm 1.8 S. I know the laters sharpness is incredible and still, there's something in the character of the images I've seen that I don't like as much.

I guess my perfect camera would be a Fuji X-T4 with the sharpness of the Sony.
Maybe there are other aspects that I'm missing and I also know that they all produce great images and I don't want to start a Fuji vs Sony vs Nikon war. All three are great tools and I'm looking to find the best tool for my need, nothing more
So if you have any additional input that might help me decide, I'd much appreciate it!
Thanks already
Greetings from Berlin
Matthias

EDIT: I guess what would be most helpful is if people who used one or more of these systems and maybe even these exact combos would share some of their experience. That would be much appreciated

Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z6 II Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 389
Re: Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

If you want clinically sharp, boring, heavy, ugly and high tech get the Sony or the Nikon.

If you want a camera to fall in love with, which will make you shoot more, be less intimidating and have a camera that screams after you, get the XT3 or XT2 with the 35mm1.4. Save money and buy more glass.

/ Johan

Www.stayuntilforever.com

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home
@sufstreet
@xftales

OP Matthias Harder New Member • Posts: 17
Re: Fuji X-T4 - XF 35mm 1.4 vs Sony A7iii - SEL 55mm 1.8 Zeiss vs Nikon Z6 II - Nikkor Z 50 mm 1.8 S

Thanks Johan, I appreciate your input!

I have a friend who shoots the Sony combo and it's surprisingly lightweight. With the Nikon on the other hand, I was worried wether I'd carry it around as much. The pictures she takes do have a character I like and I also know, that she always edits them quite a bit.

https://www.instagram.com/janareinwarth

Do you shoot mostly raw or do you also use the Fuji jpgs from time to time?

I looked at your page and the pictures you take have a warmth to them which I like!

In case I'd chose Fuji and actually went for a cheaper body, what's your experience with the X-S10 in comparison to the X-T bodies? I'm not emotionally attached to my camera looking vintage and if it's the same image quality in a smaller body I might also appreciate that.

What I'm worried about is the shooting experience with an inferior EVF and screen. What's your take on that?

Have a good day!

All the best

Matthias

Matthias Harder wrote:

Thanks Johan, I appreciate your input!

I have a friend who shoots the Sony combo and it's surprisingly lightweight. With the Nikon on the other hand, I was worried wether I'd carry it around as much. The pictures she takes do have a character I like and I also know, that she always edits them quite a bit.

https://www.instagram.com/janareinwarth

Do you shoot mostly raw or do you also use the Fuji jpgs from time to time?

I looked at your page and the pictures you take have a warmth to them which I like!

In case I'd chose Fuji and actually went for a cheaper body, what's your experience with the X-S10 in comparison to the X-T bodies? I'm not emotionally attached to my camera looking vintage and if it's the same image quality in a smaller body I might also appreciate that.

What I'm worried about is the shooting experience with an inferior EVF and screen. What's your take on that?

Have a good day!

All the best

Matthias

I shoot 99%jpg, only raw if it's for big prints or really special occasions.

I love the retro look of my XT2 and XE1. I would love an x pro3 aswell.

But since I like shooting prime lenses and vintage lenses the IBIS in the XS10 has been amazing and huge step forward in my photography when I do portraits and indoor photography.  I compared the X pro2, XT3 and XE4. But after holding the cameras and trying them out I went for the XS10. Before I tried them all the XS10 was my least favourite. For travel I got the 16mm1.4,  35mm1.4,  50mmf2 and the 55-200mm thats more than enough.  With the 55-200mm the pics are alot sharper and cleaner now with the IBIS.

I actually like the EVF on the XS10, it's great!

It's really small and light with a great price.  I wish there will be an X pro 4 with IBIS

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home
@sufstreet
@xftales

Haha, you ain't making it easier!
I guess I have to find a way to try them out before buying after all. I know that would be the sensible thing to do anyway and it's just not that easy in the current situation.

The X-S10 ist almost exactly 500€ cheaper than the X-T4 right now. From what I gained so far I would get more "traditional" digital camera like controls, the viewfinder which according to you isn't all that bad (how does it compare to the X-Ts you've used?), smaller body which might be a plus, and pretty much identical image quality. Maybe shorter battery life.

Doesn't sound too bad of a deal to me

Thanks

LASR Regular Member • Posts: 332

Shooting raw takes the camera's raw converter out of the equation, but may not be easy to process images from Fuji X-Trans sensors.

FF compared with APS-C gives an extra 1.3 EV on the sensor and 0.3 EV on the lens (the Fuji is f1.4 and not f1.2).

Although Sony colours may not be an issue if you shoot raw, you may not like the menus and how the camera handles as much, compared to other cameras. The Z6II is an excellent camera if you don't need fast AF tracking. As for how photos taken with 50-55 f1.8 look, that's personal, but the Nikon 1.8 S is sharper wide open and has lower chromatic aberration than the Zeiss, coma is also slightly better.

In terms of lens options, Nikon has the 1.8 S primes that are excellent (especially the 20, 50 and 85), 14-30 and 24-70 f4 S zooms that perform very well wide open and the f2.8 zoom trinity that is better than the competition, but Sony has the 12-24 f4... and obviously has many more lens options, including from third party manufacturers. I would look at the different lens options in each system as well, not only at the 50-55, even if you don't intend to buy them now.

Yes, other lenses in the lineup were something I'm taking into consideration now and thanks for bringing it up. I appreciate your input!
The way I know myself is that I'm generally sticking to one focal length. I find the limitation enhances my creative process and I never warmed up for the idea of zoom lenses. I've been taking photos with my galaxy S10e (I know, that's thin ice in a forum dedicated full of gear enthusiasts) and I like the photographic process of being confined to that one focal length. I know there are more but the the ultra wide angle lens is too crapy for even half decent shots. 
And if it's going to be one other focal length besides nifty fifty it's going to be a wide one around 28mm (or 28mm equivalent). That's the focal length I shot with on my analog Nikon 15 years ago and I really like it as well.

Matthias Harder wrote:

Yes, other lenses in the lineup were something I'm taking into consideration now and thanks for bringing it up. I appreciate your input!
The way I know myself is that I'm generally sticking to one focal length. I find the limitation enhances my creative process and I never warmed up for the idea of zoom lenses. I've been taking photos with my galaxy S10e (I know, that's thin ice in a forum dedicated full of gear enthusiasts) and I like the photographic process of being confined to that one focal length. I know there are more but the the ultra wide angle lens is too crapy for even half decent shots.
And if it's going to be one other focal length besides nifty fifty it's going to be a wide one around 28mm (or 28mm equivalent). That's the focal length I shot with on my analog Nikon 15 years ago and I really like it as well.

For a long time I also shot mostly with a 28 f2.8 (Nikon AI-S, 20 cm) and a 50 f1.4 (Sigma Art after a Zeiss Planar and some Nikons). I always preferred primes to zooms in the wide-normal range but since I moved from a DSLR to the Z system, the truth is that I shoot most of the time with the 24-70 f4 S at f4 - f5.6 while the 50 f1.8S and other primes stay on the shelf, unless I need to shoot wide open. Nikon just made the development announcement for the compact 28 f2.8 but it's not a S lens.

I was in the store today and checked out that combo. Definitely on the heavier side and at the same time it feels like super high quality and the sample shots I did werer nice and sharp. It's definitely another beast than the others, compared to how it feels in the hand. I'm not sure wether I would carry it around as much though, feels more like something I take shooting but not something I'd have in my bag most of the time...

Matthias Harder wrote:

I was in the store today and checked out that combo. Definitely on the heavier side and at the same time it feels like super high quality and the sample shots I did werer nice and sharp. It's definitely another beast than the others, compared to how it feels in the hand. I'm not sure wether I would carry it around as much though, feels more like something I take shooting but not something I'd have in my bag most of the time...

The 24-70 f4 S (not the f2.8)? About the same size and 90 g heavier than the 50 1.8 S. Both are excellent lenses. And the 50 f1.8 S is even better than the F-mount 50 f1.4 Sigma Art and almost half the weight (but not f1.4).

Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 415

the apparent superior sharpness of sony (and probably nikon) is most likely a result of in-camera processing rather than actual resolving power of lens+camera combo. i believe this can be tweaked on fujifilm cameras - check in the fujifilm x forum.

i had a7iii and x-h1in the past. i only shoot raw and edit in capture one. raw editor makes a big difference for fujifilm raw files and capture one is very well regarded in this respect. at base iso, i haven't noticed any significant difference in the amount of detail captured by either camera. x-trans iii processor appears to apply more noise reduction compared to x-trans iv resulting in some loss of detail.

definitely try all at least in a store before you buy. fujifilm cameras have a following due to their handling and thoughtful touches. after moving back to sony with a7riii there are many things i miss about the x-h1, but some which i don't. most of the things i did not like about it were fixed in x-t4.

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4

Thanks for your perspective!

That's interesting to hear. I'm curious how that's in a real world test regarding the sharpening, I will look into this. I went to a store and checked them all out (though they only had the z6 not the z6ii).

The images of the Nikon did have a realer than life appearance to them. I guess it's no big problem to emulate the character of the Fujis in post and if I want to shoot a Vogue cover I have that possibilty too with the Nikon combo It's this sharpness that makes you see every detail in the eye of a person which I didn't see in the Fuji images I've seen so far. And everytime I did crawl Flickr et al, the images that most often put a smile on my face where Fuji ones. Considering that I'm lazy and that I don't know yet wether I really will get into raw development (I will give it a try, I want to take this a little more serious so that might be an important part of it), the Fuji might be the best choice for me in the end.

If there wasn't this part in me that just likes the look of those z6ii 50mm 1.8s photos as well. I guess I need both

I also really like the Sony but after looking through the other viewfinders I just don't think I want to settle for less with an "it's ok, not terrible" evf of the A7iii.

It's even more silly that of the two Fujis I want the x-t4 over the x-s10 even though the only thing that 500€ more is buying me is a better screen/evf and battery life with essentially the same image quality. Hopeless

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

Mark Sloe wrote:

the apparent superior sharpness of sony (and probably nikon) is most likely a result of in-camera processing

The camera has a resolution defined by the pixel count and the light may be diffused more or less, or not at all, by the anti-aliasing filter. Fuji X-Trans sensors have that pattern to avoid the filter, so in theory they should be sharper for the same resolution.

The lens is what it is and you can see it in raw files, and Nikon S lenses are sharp comparing to other lenses in the same category. Distortion correction is going to reduce that sharpness, mostly in the edges. Fuji has sharp lenses as well (e.g. 56 f1.2 but is more expensive than the Nikon 85 1.8 S and isn't better, but at this level they are all very good).

Matthias Harder wrote:

Thanks for your perspective!

That's interesting to hear. I'm curious how that's in a real world test regarding the sharpening, I will look into this. I went to a store and checked them all out (though they only had the z6 not the z6ii).

The images of the Nikon did have a realer than life appearance to them. I guess it's no big problem to emulate the character of the Fujis in post and if I want to shoot a Vogue cover I have that possibilty too with the Nikon combo It's this sharpness that makes you see every detail in the eye of a person which I didn't see in the Fuji images I've seen so far.

I've shot for a model agency that works with Vouge, Harpers bazzar, Elle etc with my XT2 and the  XF35mm1.4 without any complaints and won International portrait photography competitions with the "kit lens" 18-55mm. Fujifilm for me is just such a joy to use and the images feel more alive. Yes the Sony is sharper but somehow feels like 8K TV, plastic surgery and autotune in music. Fujifilm for me is vinyl, magazines and pure rock n roll.

And everytime I did crawl Flickr et al, the images that most often put a smile on my face where Fuji ones. Considering that I'm lazy and that I don't know yet wether I really will get into raw development (I will give it a try, I want to take this a little more serious so that might be an important part of it), the Fuji might be the best choice for me in the end.

If there wasn't this part in me that just likes the look of those z6ii 50mm 1.8s photos as well. I guess I need both

I also really like the Sony but after looking through the other viewfinders I just don't think I want to settle for less with an "it's ok, not terrible" evf of the A7iii.

It's even more silly that of the two Fujis I want the x-t4 over the x-s10 even though the only thing that 500€ more is buying me is a better screen/evf and battery life with essentially the same image quality. Hopeless

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

Go with the Fujifilm if you want a camera with soul. Or Sony if you want likes on Instagram

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home
@sufstreet
@xftales

Mark Sloe wrote:

the apparent superior sharpness of sony (and probably nikon) is most likely a result of in-camera processing rather than actual resolving power of lens+camera combo. i believe this can be tweaked on fujifilm cameras - check in the fujifilm x forum.

I went pixel peeping and compared the X-T4 and the Z6II in the comparison tool. I downloaded the jpgs and raws and put them side by side on a decent enough screen.

The jpg of the X-T4 was noticeably softer, when zooming to 100% it almost looks like the focus is ever so slightly off in comparison to the Nikon jpg.

When putting the two raw files against each other the difference was much more subtle, almost not noticeable anymore. The Nikon still had a slight edge but that was really negligible. So the bulk of the difference might actually come down to default in camera sharpening and then possibly some to the lens. I haven't checked how they shoot this comparison. Do they adapt the same lens to each camera or do they just shoot the sharpest lens available for the system?

In any case, it's much less of a difference and I also know that those small differences have much less of an impact on perceived and objective image quality (in case there is such a thing as objective image quality).

And it's the sharpness of the images in this sample gallery of the new Nikon macro lenses that I haven't yet seen in images shot with the Fuji.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/4689943654/nikon-z-mc-105mm-f2-8-vr-s-sample-images/5355957404

And having seen the comparison between the two sample raw files I'm also a bit more convinced now, that it's generally possible get very sharp results, with all of the cameras mentioned above, with the right lens of course.

Haha, good to know that I might still be able to get my picture on the cover of Vogue, even if I decide for the Fuji in the end Thanks for taking that worry of my shoulders!

The joy you're having with the Fuji definitely comes across. In the end the camera is a tool for me and at the same time, there's nothing wrong with working with good tools that are a joy to use!

I think they all have their benefits and I'm also hopeful, that I might be able to use the Fujis film simulations to my benefit if I ever decide to go hunting for instagram likes

In a way I always liked the utilitarian, unpretentious (to me) design of the Sony. It just screams, I'm a tool, use me. And it's definitely unapologetically a tool of the digital age whilst the Fuji has an air of analogue admits their more high tech looking rivals.

I'd love have some time with each camera and see how it feels after I could make it my own. That's much more my style of learning than overanalyzing everything and making a decision from the mind. And here I am, pixel peeking raw files.

And hearing from someone who actually used the camera for longer and knows it in and out is really helpful to get out of the mind a little more!

Matthias Harder wrote:

Haha, good to know that I might still be able to get my picture on the cover of Vogue, even if I decide for the Fuji in the end Thanks for taking that worry of my shoulders!

The joy you're having with the Fuji definitely comes across. In the end the camera is a tool for me and at the same time, there's nothing wrong with working with good tools that are a joy to use!

I think they all have their benefits and I'm also hopeful, that I might be able to use the Fujis film simulations to my benefit if I ever decide to go hunting for instagram likes

In a way I always liked the utilitarian, unpretentious (to me) design of the Sony. It just screams, I'm a tool, use me. And it's definitely unapologetically a tool of the digital age whilst the Fuji has an air of analogue admits their more high tech looking rivals.

I'd love have some time with each camera and see how it feels after I could make it my own. That's much more my style of learning than overanalyzing everything and making a decision from the mind. And here I am, pixel peeking raw files.

And hearing from someone who actually used the camera for longer and knows it in and out is really helpful to get out of the mind a little more!

👍👍👍👍

At my website 100% of the photos shot with Fujifilms.  Portrait,  travel, street, fine art etc

Www.stayuntilforever.com

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home
@sufstreet
@xftales

Which lense did you use mostly for those landscape/ nature shots? Do you often use your wide angle or also the 35?

Matthias Harder wrote:

Which lense did you use mostly for those landscape/ nature shots? Do you often use your wide angle or also the 35?

All of those are shot with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm accept the astro which was with the 12mmf2 samyang. I did not own the 16 or the 35 for these trips.

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home
@sufstreet
@xftales

And having seen the comparison between the two sample raw files I'm also a bit more convinced now, that it's generally possible get very sharp results, with all of the cameras mentioned above, with the right lens of course.

If you shoot raw, e.g. ISO6400 1/500 85 f1.8 in FF (Nikon) and ISO2500 1/500 56 f1.2 in APS-C (Fuji), or any other combination where you keep the 1.3-1.5 EV difference due to sensor size/type and the same angle of view and entrance pupil, you get approximately the same image if using lenses with similar performance level. The main difference are the lenses and at what f-number they start performing well, and the difference in noise due to the sensor size and to APS-C lenses usually having narrower entrance pupils for the same angle of view.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads