Firmware Download R6

Started 5 months ago | Questions
fordman1 Regular Member • Posts: 137
Firmware Download R6

This may be more of a Windows question. I am in the process of performing the latest update for the R6 and I am a novice at this. I keep receiving an error message that prevents the update from being downloaded from my PC to the media card. I am following directions on the Canon site and the download is coming from the Canon site. It appears in my Windows downloaded files, yet keeps telling me Adobe Acrobat Reader cannot open though it clearly is an AAR file. Consequently the transfer of data from the file to the media card is being blocked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

fordman1's gear list:fordman1's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davinci953 Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Firmware Download R6

fordman1 wrote:

This may be more of a Windows question. I am in the process of performing the latest update for the R6 and I am a novice at this. I keep receiving an error message that prevents the update from being downloaded from my PC to the media card. I am following directions on the Canon site and the download is coming from the Canon site. It appears in my Windows downloaded files, yet keeps telling me Adobe Acrobat Reader cannot open though it clearly is an AAR file. Consequently the transfer of data from the file to the media card is being blocked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Canon firmware files have a .FIR extension. The firmware download from Canon is packaged in a .zip file and contains the firmware update and pdf files with update instructions. I've never seen AAR files included in the zip file.

Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,470

davinci953 wrote:

fordman1 wrote:

Canon firmware files have a .FIR extension. The firmware download from Canon is packaged in a .zip file and contains the firmware update and pdf files with update instructions. I've never seen AAR files included in the zip file.

Maybe he means winRAR files which is a software that can unzip such downloaded file.

It is indeed a zip file. Inside is the FIR file that you should extract to a memory card.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
OP fordman1 Regular Member • Posts: 137

It is definitely a FIR compressed file. When I click open, I repeatedly get the error message that Adobe Acrobat Reader cannot open. Seems to me the question is why is AAR trying to open it? Am I wrong to think that some other operation would be what opens it as AAR can't open this type file?

I have restored default settings on the PC for opening downloads to original factory settings.

Canon EOS R6 Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

fordman1 wrote:

It is definitely a FIR compressed file. When I click open, I repeatedly get the error message that Adobe Acrobat Reader cannot open. Seems to me the question is why is AAR trying to open it? Am I wrong to think that some other operation would be what opens it as AAR can't open this type file?

I have restored default settings on the PC for opening downloads to original factory settings.

The .FIR file isn't meant to be read by Acrobat, and the file isn't intended to open on your computer. The file contains the update code. Use Acrobat to read the PDF update instructions. Just copy the .FIR file to the root of one of the SD cards and go to the firmware setting in the menu to update the camera. Alternately, you can use EOS utility to update the firmware. Read the update instructions, and the process should be clearer to you.

OP fordman1 Regular Member • Posts: 137

The R does not come with a USB cable.

fordman1 wrote:

The R does not come with a USB cable.

If you can't connect the camera to the computer, use a card reader to copy the .FIR file from the computer to the SD card, and then update the firmware in-camera. Read the update instructions that came with the firmware download.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,839

The Canon download file should include a firmware file and a set of instructions. Both are in the zipped file.  You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the instructions. I can't explain why it is trying to open the firmware file. Perhaps, knowing this, you can sort out which files are in your unzipped folder and point Adobe to the correct file.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads