M1 YUV/RGB issue

Started May 28, 2021 | Discussions
strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
M1 YUV/RGB issue

Looking to buy a M1 Mac Mini as well as a new monitor.

The latter seems a lot more difficult (to choose), for various reasons (beyond budget).

Many M1 users seem to have the issue of their monitor getting a YUV signal in stead of RGB (probably not a technically correct description), as mentioned in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-mac-external-display-fuzzy-fonts-colors-ypbpr-vs-rgb.2276345/

but also encountered by Eizo: "The signal from the Mac computer changes to YUV Limited Range, which may cause banding. This occurs when using HDMI on a Mac computer with an Intel chipset, or when using HDMI, USB Type-C, or DisplayPort conversion cable on a Mac computer with an M1 Chip." (https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/pc/mac/apple-m1/index.html) and only solved for their high-end Coloredge series.

Has anyone here encountered the same issue and/or found found a solution?

Has anyone found a monitor that doesn't have this issue (anymore)?

strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic G90 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
OP strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
Re: M1 YUV/RGB issue

strawbale wrote:

The latter seems a lot more difficult (to choose), for various reasons (beyond budget).

Many M1 users seem to have the issue of their monitor getting a YUV signal in stead of RGB (probably not a technically correct description), as mentioned in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-mac-external-display-fuzzy-fonts-colors-ypbpr-vs-rgb.2276345/

but also encountered by Eizo: "The signal from the Mac computer changes to YUV Limited Range, which may cause banding. This occurs when using HDMI on a Mac computer with an Intel chipset, or when using HDMI, USB Type-C, or DisplayPort conversion cable on a Mac computer with an M1 Chip." (https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/pc/mac/apple-m1/index.html) and only solved for their high-end Coloredge series.

Seems BenQ monitors don't have this issue - see reply from ArtIsRight to latest comment:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laEHPtPZ4M&lc=Ugw5-Tw3Lxhk_yvouPF4AaABAg.9NtaUFQUcBz9Nv6NtrXGzS

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic G90 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,734

strawbale wrote:

but also encountered by Eizo: "The signal from the Mac computer changes to YUV Limited Range, which may cause banding. This occurs when using HDMI on a Mac computer with an Intel chipset, or when using HDMI, USB Type-C, or DisplayPort conversion cable on a Mac computer with an M1 Chip."

I had this issue when I neglected to turn off my Logitech USB-A mouse before clicking Sleep or closing the laptop lid. At least based on RGB-YUV images on the web, I believe it's similar.

My solution was to buy a BlueTooth mouse, which is handled directly by the OS instead of through the HyperDrive Duo (USB-C x2 to USB-A). My theory is that this is a USB protocol error in the HyperDrive firmware, which loses track of the RGB monitor and reverts to YUV for a consumer grade TV.

My monitor is a 27" LG UHD model that I bought 1.5 years ago because colors looked good in a Best Buy store, and it was top rated by rtings.com. It's been great. If you're considering Eizo, I guess you're willing to spend more money than my recommendations would entail.

CAcreeks wrote:

strawbale wrote:

but also encountered by Eizo: "The signal from the Mac computer changes to YUV Limited Range, which may cause banding. This occurs when using HDMI on a Mac computer with an Intel chipset, or when using HDMI, USB Type-C, or DisplayPort conversion cable on a Mac computer with an M1 Chip."

I had this issue when I neglected to turn off my Logitech USB-A mouse before clicking Sleep or closing the laptop lid. At least based on RGB-YUV images on the web, I believe it's similar.

My solution was to buy a BlueTooth mouse, which is handled directly by the OS instead of through the HyperDrive Duo (USB-C x2 to USB-A). My theory is that this is a USB protocol error in the HyperDrive firmware, which loses track of the RGB monitor and reverts to YUV for a consumer grade TV.

My monitor is a 27" LG UHD model that I bought 1.5 years ago because colors looked good in a Best Buy store, and it was top rated by rtings.com. It's been great. If you're considering Eizo, I guess you're willing to spend more money than my recommendations would entail.

Eizo'll be beyond my budget, so it's good to know BenQ monitors haven't got this issue.

mattspace
mattspace Contributing Member • Posts: 621

strawbale wrote:

strawbale wrote:

Seems BenQ monitors don't have this issue - see reply from ArtIsRight to latest comment:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laEHPtPZ4M&lc=Ugw5-Tw3Lxhk_yvouPF4AaABAg.9NtaUFQUcBz9Nv6NtrXGzS

What BenQ monitors DO have, at least in my case on an Intel machine, is problematic Displayport support.

My dual SW240s on Displayport have broken power LED behaviour on sleep - the LED either stays fixed on, or fixed off, but doesn't pulse. It pulses correctly on sleep when connected via HDMI.

My SW270c connected via Displayport disconnects itself from the system when it powers down the backlight in energy saving mode, which causes the system to only see the other displays as connected, and shifts all the windows of applications around, as they believe themselves to be running on 1 less display. When the display powers back up, many of the apps can't relocate their windows to their original locations, especially palettes.

It manifests no such problems when connected via HDMI, though it does still take about 10 seconds to produce a picture on wake, vs the SW240s that light up instantly.

-- hide signature --
 mattspace's gear list:mattspace's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more

mattspace wrote:

strawbale wrote:

strawbale wrote:

What BenQ monitors DO have, at least in my case on an Intel machine, is problematic Displayport support.

My dual SW240s on Displayport have broken power LED behaviour on sleep - the LED either stays fixed on, or fixed off, but doesn't pulse. It pulses correctly on sleep when connected via HDMI.

My SW270c connected via Displayport disconnects itself from the system when it powers down the backlight in energy saving mode, which causes the system to only see the other displays as connected, and shifts all the windows of applications around, as they believe themselves to be running on 1 less display. When the display powers back up, many of the apps can't relocate their windows to their original locations, especially palettes.

It manifests no such problems when connected via HDMI, though it does still take about 10 seconds to produce a picture on wake, vs the SW240s that light up instantly.

My BenQ BL2420PT is often quite slow showing a picture too (through HDMI).

MurkoM Junior Member • Posts: 48

Due this problem I had to return a Dell 27" Dell P2721Q. The colours were off (yuv) but I thought I will wait for the solution by Apple. But yesterday more problems started. When browsing web, certain pages didn´t worked great and the monitor started to flicker. I had enough of this, so I have returned the monitor and bought the BenQ PD2700U (I had a budget limit). The calibration out of the box is amazing, RGB works, but do not expect pop colour profile for a content consumption. But for photo editing, man, this feels so great! And a strange thing - the C1 started to work more snappier. Yesterday on the "old" Dell I had a constant "wheel spinning", the sliders were laggy (usb-c to usb-c). Today on the new monitor (usb-c to DP, 4k scaled, 60hz) magic happend. I can´t explaing that. I have been sitting behing the new setup for the past 5 hours, doing photo editing, browsing web, watching youtube and movies and no issues yet. Deffinitely look for a BenQ monitor and avoid Dell. Maybe they will fix the problems in the future, but right now go with a safe bet.

PS: thank you strawbale for the tip. And I had a good conversation with ArtIsRight who assured me that BenQ monitors work great with M1.

SigmaDelta10 Regular Member • Posts: 338

My Eizo CS2730 works perfect with the Mac Mini M1. Using a Startech USB-C to Displayport cable as advised by Eizo after contacting them. The monitor appears to give an even sharper image compared to the 2014 Macbook Pro I used before. Don’t know why…maybe I am just imagining things 😵‍💫…

MurkoM wrote:

Due this problem I had to return a Dell 27" Dell P2721Q. The colours were off (yuv) but I thought I will wait for the solution by Apple. But yesterday more problems started. When browsing web, certain pages didn´t worked great and the monitor started to flicker. I had enough of this, so I have returned the monitor and bought the BenQ PD2700U (I had a budget limit). The calibration out of the box is amazing, RGB works, but do not expect pop colour profile for a content consumption. But for photo editing, man, this feels so great! And a strange thing - the C1 started to work more snappier. Yesterday on the "old" Dell I had a constant "wheel spinning", the sliders were laggy (usb-c to usb-c). Today on the new monitor (usb-c to DP, 4k scaled, 60hz) magic happend. I can´t explaing that. I have been sitting behing the new setup for the past 5 hours, doing photo editing, browsing web, watching youtube and movies and no issues yet. Deffinitely look for a BenQ monitor and avoid Dell. Maybe they will fix the problems in the future, but right now go with a safe bet.

PS: thank you strawbale for the tip. And I had a good conversation with ArtIsRight who assured me that BenQ monitors work great with M1.

Glad you're content with the BenQ!

PS: how's the 'noise' from the PD2700U? (there were some complaints of its bigger brother, the PD3200U, that it was not completely silent, something that might be noticeable with a M1 in a quiet room)

Zero noise. And I am very sensitive to this type of things.

MurkoM wrote:

Zero noise. And I am very sensitive to this type of things.

Thanks, good to know. Me too, in a very quiet (straw bale) house in the French countryside

PS: connected through HDMI or USB-C to DP?

USB-C to DP.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads