Photographer Wins Lawsuit Against D.C. Metropolitan Police (article)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
lbuclk= Veteran Member • Posts: 4,335
Photographer Wins Lawsuit Against D.C. Metropolitan Police (article)

https://www.rangefinderonline.com/news-features/industry-news/photographer-wins-lawsuit-against-d-c-police/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Photographer+Wins+Lawsuit+Against+D+C++Metropolitan+Police&utm_campaign=RF+Eng+20210527+DC+Police+Lawsuit&vgo_ee=n5C9OqkVj0nPFPEdcDktAx%2FEfhlWWY50Ib9M%2FRzrZIo%3D

-- hide signature --

28+ years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D , Canon 7D, ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 40D +14 more
Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425
Re: Photographer Wins Lawsuit Against D.C. Metropolitan Police (article)

Link without pesky popup

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/photojournalist-wins-substantial-settlement-from-dc-police-over-arrest-at-black-lives-matter-protest/2649493/

The police officers who violated his civil rights should be prosecuted and charged with a federal crime (currently doesn't exist) and do at least 1 year prison and or $10,000 fine, with a felony on their record. Same goes for the property not being returned - there isn't a compelling reason for his property not being returned in reasonable course (that I can think of). The police chief, etc., should be held accountable, and the way to hold them accountable is by fining, jailing, and or firing them, otherwise change will not come.

I'm all for shooting criminals, but not for the police violating an innocent persons rights which they too often do here in the U.S..

If the sum is paid by the tax payer, then the tax payer should know how much was paid.

Teila K. Day
http://teiladay.com

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,458

Teila Day wrote:

Link without pesky popup

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/photojournalist-wins-substantial-settlement-from-dc-police-over-arrest-at-black-lives-matter-protest/2649493/

The police officers who violated his civil rights should be prosecuted and charged with a federal crime (currently doesn't exist) and do at least 1 year prison and or $10,000 fine, with a felony on their record. Same goes for the property not being returned - there isn't a compelling reason for his property not being returned in reasonable course (that I can think of). The police chief, etc., should be held accountable, and the way to hold them accountable is by fining, jailing, and or firing them, otherwise change will not come.

I'm all for shooting criminals, but not for the police violating an innocent persons rights which they too often do here in the U.S..

If the sum is paid by the tax payer, then the tax payer should know how much was paid.

Teila K. Day

I rarely disagree with you but I take exception here. Upwards of 400 million people in this country  and there are a lot of   bad eggs  and the police  are  the only line of defense.  Are there bad cops no doubt,  and do they botch up yes they do,   but generally speaking they perform an impossible job dealing with impossible  people  some of whom  just want to see the world burn. Including a certain Marxist terror organization.

-- hide signature --

dw

Boomanbb
Boomanbb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,044

DenWil wrote:

Teila Day wrote:

Link without pesky popup

Teila K. Day

I rarely disagree with you but I take exception here. Upwards of 400 million people in this country and there are a lot of bad eggs and the police are the only line of defense. Are there bad cops no doubt, and do they botch up yes they do, but generally speaking they perform an impossible job dealing with impossible people some of whom just want to see the world burn. Including a certain Marxist terror organization.

Stop believing everything you read on the internet, it’s not an impossible job and people are most certainly not impossible. My 18 years in law enforcement remind me that if you treat ALL people with respect, only a few will be disrespectful to you. Those you can deal with. And stop lying, since the mid 1990s, right wing terror groups in the USA have committed and continue to commit the majority of terror attacks in the USA. That is unless you don’t believe your own government... then what does that make you?

Bottom line, somebody didn’t do their job correctly and the photographer gets compensated. Policies will get updated, hopefully it doesn’t happen again.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 5,425

DenWil wrote:

Teila Day wrote:

Link without pesky popup

Teila K. Day

I rarely disagree with you but I take exception here. Upwards of 400 million people in this country and there are a lot of bad eggs and the police are the only line of defense.

Actually parents and friends are a line of defense but too often do a poor job.  If we made parents more responsible for their spawn, we'd be a better society because of it.  For instance, if you want the tax payer to subsidize housing and give you a monthly allowance, then the tax payer can reasonably expect your children to make no less than B grades in school and be required to take courses that lead to majors of study and or occupations that lead to actual jobs that are needed... (e.g. electricians, engineers, plumbers, nurse practitioners..  NOT beauty school, wood working, literature, or women's studies).

Are there bad cops no doubt, and do they botch up yes they do, but generally speaking they perform an impossible job dealing with impossible people some of whom just want to see the world burn. Including a certain Marxist terror organization.

Bad police aren't the problem.  Bad policy that allows bad police to proliferate is the problem.  Police that don't know what a person's rights are is the problem.  I think police should have to have the equiv. of the 1st year of law school (and pass an equiv. knowledge exam) as a requisite to carry the badge.. that alone would solve a lot of problems and weed out a lot of ignorance within the force.

If a person kills a police dog, they're held to a different standard because the dog (police) is an agent of the Force.   However if a police officer allows that dog to maim or kill an innocent person due to that officer not exercising due diligence, then that officer is rarely held to the same heightened standard in kind, and that is a problem since the officer should reasonably be held to a higher standard due to the officer being the professional.

If I enter the wrong building and start shooting, and say it's a "mistake", I have leeway in making such an honest mistake.

If a police officer enters the wrong building and starts shooting, s/he should be charged since it is his/her professional job to get it right, especially since life or death is often in the balance, depending on the decisions made by the respective officer.

We hold truck drivers with a commercial license to a higher standard when they do wrong - we should do so with police officers as well.

If you've read my posts, you know that I don't like criminals, don't support criminals, and don't mind violent criminals being removed from the living populous, at the hand of police.   However, I won't champion bad or unjust policy.

Regards

-- hide signature --
ashleymorrison
ashleymorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,314

It's a very good ad for the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) - that's for sure.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ashley

j3ffw
j3ffw Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: Photojournalists need good business practices as well.

Seeing that this is a forum for professional practices I think photographers should remind themselves that good business practices even for freelance journalist shouldn't be forgotten. While I think this is a good outcome for a photographer who was hassled by police and have no specific knowledge leading up to this specific assignment nor am I making any commentary to this specific case. (Again I have NO knowledge of it.)

What I do have knowledge from living and working as a photographer in the DC area using many young photographers as assistants over the years is that whenever these big protests come into town, multiple shady offers are made to young photojournalists to cover the events, a lot of times somewhat anonymously without any real support if something goes awry.

Young photographers should not be blind-sighted by this case as a win. But a reminder that you need to force your client into providing you with both the proper access prior to the event as well as documenting yourself as a legitimate photographer covering the event. All professionals have to do an amount of pre-production and for freelance photojournalist that should probably include visiting the police prior(days) to the event and inquiring about press passes or what they require to see you as a working photographer even if you are an independent documentarian.

I realize everyone in this thread is more experience than I, just throwing it out there for any young photographers who may be reading. CYA

-- hide signature --

My Architectural Photography Portfolio
http://www.jeffwolfram.com

MOD Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,415

That article could use a bit of editing, for example, college should be colleague, perhaps....

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
ashleymorrison
ashleymorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,314

They talk about Kain's colleague here: Journalist detained while covering DC-protests - where it says "Freelance journalist Andrew Jasiura was detained and held for two hours" - however "was released without charges after a Metropolitan Police Department lieutenant recognized him, the journalist told the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker."

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Ashley

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads