Another Sony convert

Started May 27, 2021 | Discussions
duncang Contributing Member • Posts: 786
Another Sony convert

My brother just traded in all his Nikon gear for an a9ii, 200-600 and TC1.4 and in the first two minutes of using it captured more keepers than he would in 6 months of pre-focussed attempts with Nikon gear.

He's pretty impressed.

daran
daran Contributing Member • Posts: 814
Re: Another Sony convert

duncang wrote:

Nice images.

My brother just traded in all his Nikon gear for an a9ii, 200-600 and TC1.4 and in the first two minutes of using it captured more keepers than he would in 6 months of pre-focussed attempts with Nikon gear.

Just how old was his Nikon?

daran's gear list:daran's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 600mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +5 more
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,295

Sweet. Gear matters!

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony a7R IV Sony a7R II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +16 more
Sharif Abdou
Sharif Abdou Regular Member • Posts: 437

Beatsy wrote:

Sweet. Gear matters!

Wait. I see the a1 in your gear list Mr. Beatsy. I recall reading that you were staying put with what you had. Have you buckled? If so, what pushed you over the edge?

Sharif Abdou's gear list:Sharif Abdou's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7C Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony FE 24mm F2.8 G Sony FE 50mm F2.5 G
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,295

Sharif Abdou wrote:

Beatsy wrote:

Sweet. Gear matters!

Wait. I see the a1 in your gear list Mr. Beatsy. I recall reading that you were staying put with what you had. Have you buckled? If so, what pushed you over the edge?

Well spotted, that man. I'll try to be brief, but it's a bit tangled...

Everything changed when I started viewing the A1 as a "live backup" for all my existing cameras instead of a new, more capable body that my existing cameras would become backups to.

When I say "live backup", I mean two or more bodies with different lenses fitted being actively used. Not just one camera in use with a spare sat idle until needed for disaster recovery.

In this situation, each body will ideally have similar capabilities to suit the job, but I can't do that with my current camera mix. If I shoot sport/action, A9 is king and A7r4 can do some of it - but nowhere near as well. It isn't a credible backup of the speed and tracking abilities of the A9.

When high resolution is priority, then A7riv and A7rii are top dogs, but a mismatch of features and ergonomics between them is a nuisance and the A9 with its measly 24 megapixels isn't even a consideration in this use case.

And so on. But viewing the A1 as backup for everything else instead was a really useful change of perspective. It's credible in any combination and solves some genuine issues I've hit in the past (without introducing new ones).

It gets better. Once I decided I might buy an A1 after all, I looked carefully at how new features might help my main interests (hi mag macro/micro). Short answer: it's game changing and I'm waiting for my A1 to arrive (and wishing I'd pre-ordered at launch).

The best features: flash with full-electronic shutter, 30fps RAW (and faster pixel-shift) will enable a *much* faster approach to deep focus stacking. This for both macro and micro in my case. Basically, I can run a focus rail or microscope fine-focus at a continuous rate while capturing RAW frames at 10-30fps with flash freezing residual movement. All using electronic shutter too, so I don't wear out a mech shutter every 6 months (yes, I shoot so many focus stacks, that would happen). Anyway, this approach reduces a typical 20-min capture cycle to seconds (less than a minute). I shoot several stacks each and every day so the productivity boost could be enormous for me - and equally welcome.

Note: I already used video and LOTS of continuous light to test the technique. It works but the IQ of jpeg stills extracted from video (even 4k) is seriously lacking compared to RAW. I didn't adopt this technique for everyday use because of that. But an A1 capturing RAW at the same rate *will* retain all the IQ of the step-wise slower process. "Problem" well and truly solved!

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony a7R IV Sony a7R II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +16 more
OP duncang Contributing Member • Posts: 786

daran wrote:

duncang wrote:

Nice images.

Just how old was his Nikon?

Not very old - D750, D850, 500PF, 70-200, 200-500, TC1.4 ...

Sharif Abdou
Sharif Abdou Regular Member • Posts: 437

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I remember seeing BTS pictures you've shared of your macro setup. Looking forward to seeing what you'll do with the a1.

Sharif Abdou's gear list:Sharif Abdou's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7C Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony FE 24mm F2.8 G Sony FE 50mm F2.5 G
rsmithsd73
rsmithsd73 Regular Member • Posts: 409

great stuff. I had the same conversion experience last year. The AF system just hooks you.

rsmithsd73's gear list:rsmithsd73's gear list
Sony a7R IVA Sony a9 II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
Dan_168 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,534

duncang wrote:

He's pretty impressed.

I know we are in Sony forum, but that sounds like a massive exaggeration, I am multiple system user and own both Sony and Nikon gears, Sony is good but Nikon is no way as bad as you put it even with my ancient D300 and D3 back then people got tons of BIF picture, not to mention those D500 , D850 which I also still own, they just need to have skills. i almost want to say if you can't get a good bird picture from those camera, the issue is definitely not the camera. but new toys are always fun, I got that, that's why I also keep buying new toys too.

By the way, 200-600+ TC is actually not that hot of bird lens at all.

Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,289

duncang wrote:

He's pretty impressed.

Really beautiful shots.

OP duncang Contributing Member • Posts: 786

Dan_168 wrote:

duncang wrote:

He's pretty impressed.

I know we are in Sony forum, but that sounds like a massive exaggeration, I am multiple

Not sure if you have actually used an a9, a9ii or and a1. Show me a sequence you have captured from your Nikons like any of the ones below.

system user and own both Sony and Nikon gears, Sony is good but Nikon is no way as bad as you put it even with my ancient D300 and D3 back then people got tons of BIF picture, not to mention those D500 , D850 which I also still own, they just need to have skills. i almost want to say if you can't get a good bird picture from those camera, the issue is definitely not the camera. but new toys are always fun, I got that, that's why I also

Yes - the fun is now finding the best composition rather than finding the one that is in focus.

keep buying new toys too.

By the way, 200-600+ TC is actually not that hot of bird lens at all.

You got a better lens option to suggest for the same money ? There is nothing else even close.

I think even with your awesome skills you won't be giving yourself this many in focus shots to choose from unless you are using one of these newer mirrorless cameras.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads