How To Make Skin 'Smoother' For Headshot (Example Pic Inside)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
FinstersFinsta New Member • Posts: 4
How To Make Skin 'Smoother' For Headshot (Example Pic Inside)

Hi, I am new to retouching and went through a workflow of white balance/exposure/ adjustments followed by blemish removal with the healing brush and then frequency separation. I am using Photoshop 2021. The frequency seperation made a huge difference in evening out the colours of the skin tone but the skin looks very rough/grainy with so many little marks on the face i'm not sure I could spot remove them all.

How do I make the skin on my pic more 'smooth'? I have included the pic I am working on as well as an example picture of which I would like mine to look like in terms of skin tone/texture. Thank you!

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,805
Re: How To Make Skin 'Smoother' For Headshot (Example Pic Inside)

FinstersFinsta wrote:

Hi, I am new to retouching and went through a workflow of white balance/exposure/ adjustments followed by blemish removal with the healing brush and then frequency separation. I am using Photoshop 2021. The frequency seperation made a huge difference in evening out the colours of the skin tone but the skin looks very rough/grainy with so many little marks on the face i'm not sure I could spot remove them all.

How do I make the skin on my pic more 'smooth'? I have included the pic I am working on as well as an example picture of which I would like mine to look like in terms of skin tone/texture. Thank you!

You can do this via frequency seperation.

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube...

With frequency seperation you can smooth out the skin much more then your example, if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=frequency+seperation

Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,039

Frequency separation to blend in the facial blotching and add smoothness; curves adjustments to match the RGB values of the sample; curves adjustments to match the contrast of the sample; sharpening added selectively with a mask.

Of course, there are numerous 'skin smoothing' apps available that can be applied to a duplicate and controlled by the layer opacity and blend mode to suit.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?

- Ken - Contributing Member • Posts: 637

Your portrait has nice framing and posing, but to my eye, the main reason Rob's portrait is much better than yours, is found in the lighting. Rob's portrait is 3-dimensional, while yours is very flat, 2-dimensional. There are plenty of tutorials for smoothing skin, but even with smooth skin, your portrait will not be improved because of the very flat lighting. Lighting is the most important part of creating interesting photos.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy the light,
Ken

lacogada Contributing Member • Posts: 792

Tried surface blur for skin and masked away from eyes, hair, etc.

ccarrier Senior Member • Posts: 1,155

Have you tried the Neural filter "Skin Smoothing?"

Filtre > neural filter ... >Skin smoothing.

It does a pretty decent job and the result can be outputted to a new layer or applied on a smart object

-- hide signature --

Claude Carrier

ccarrier's gear list:ccarrier's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Nikon D750 +7 more
Pixel Poetry
Pixel Poetry Veteran Member • Posts: 6,281

Face has an unnatural look because original lighting is too flat, tried giving it a little more depth.

-- hide signature --

PX

Pixel Poetry's gear list:Pixel Poetry's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
Boomanbb
Boomanbb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,044
Reshoot with more attention to lighting

No retouching will make up for that flat lighting.

-- hide signature --

Ben Boozer
Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +12 more
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,771

Use Perfectly Clear plug-in and selected the "Beautify" default settings. Took 30 seconds to make this edit.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Kaj E Forum Pro • Posts: 10,077

As others have said the lighting is too flat tried to add som shadow and highlight to sculpt the face.

The quality of the original is also quite poor. Looks like you would have smeared some paste on the face. Where some parts overexposed?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

- Ken - Contributing Member • Posts: 637

more light,

-- hide signature --

Enjoy the light,
Ken

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 4,211

As others have said, bad flat/lighting and what looks to be a really ugly color profile (Sony Lightroom profile?). The extremely shallow DOF here isn't doing this image any favors either. This is just Lightroom with the adjustment brush and some contrast/color tweaks.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more
lylejk
lylejk Forum Pro • Posts: 33,354
Selective Frequency separation.

Other's mentioned this already.  Did I take it a bit too far?  Yup.   lol

At least I didn't give the guy a nose job.  

Did do some eye enhancement and, via the frequency separation layers, used that the feather the hai/brows/stach/etc. some as well.  

lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
Vic ace1 New Member • Posts: 5
Nice to see you back PX

Hope you will be able to do some more of your super colourising soon. Vic

Pixel Poetry
Re: Nice to see you back PX

Vic ace1 wrote:

Hope you will be able to do some more of your super colourising soon. Vic

Thank you Vic, I think colorizing is more Patsy's territory.

-- hide signature --

PX

Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
Pixel Poetry

With some added adjustments to my original post.

-- hide signature --

PX

J. Michael Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655
Played with the "flat Light".........

........others have mentioned.

-- hide signature --

“The one who plants trees, knowing that they will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life.” (Rabindranath Tagore)

Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,514

Black and white...

Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,039

A further play with the lighting and facial contrast.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?

Saleen1999
Saleen1999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,814

I use Portrait Pro. On this one I smoothed the skin and removed a lot of the pores. It's a great program and well the price.

-- hide signature --

Melissa
Adobe Photoshop CC 2020
PaintShop Pro 2019 Ultimate
Lightroom CC
Gimp
http://www.pbase.com/mnewco

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads