CL2 smartphone rumor

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Kavu Contributing Member • Posts: 588
CL2 smartphone rumor

Inside sources say the CL2 may actually have phone capabilities. In an unexpected twist, users will only be able to make collect calls.

Kavu's gear list:Kavu's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100V Leica TL2 Leica CL +1 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 5,842
Re: CL2 smartphone rumor

Kavu wrote:

Inside sources say the CL2 may actually have phone capabilities. In an unexpected twist, users will only be able to make collect calls.

It's what you might call a Tele -Phone with a wide ranging ring.. Now it's back to the Premoxidone ll Tablets...       L

-- hide signature --

I have walked in others shoes, I much prefer my own Berluti's ! ..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
Le Chef Regular Member • Posts: 119

“Inside sources”…right…

photonomy Junior Member • Posts: 36

Perhaps the rumour wires got crossed since Leica have, in fact released a rebadged Sharp Aquos R6 for Japanese customers of Softbank telecom.

https://www.macfilos.com/2021/06/18/leica-enters-smartphone-business-under-leitz-brand/

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,512

Kavu wrote:

Isn't it past April 1 already?

G

LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 5,842

Godfrey wrote:

Kavu wrote:

Isn't it past April 1 already?

G

No more telemarketing calls, put me down for One..   L

-- hide signature --

Everyday is a Challenge. I Meet It Head On..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
mplkn
mplkn Regular Member • Posts: 249

Finally!

I've been saying this for years!

And, I've been getting laughed at for years for asserting this to my phone-carrying friends: we ought to put the phone into the camera, instead of relying on the silly camera in the phone!

Better images,

One less thing to carry,

"The best camera is the one you have with you," Sure, sure, but why not make sure the one you have with you be better than a silly phone camera?

You're already carrying your camera everywhere anyway, so why not put the phone in it?

Outgoing message: "I'm sorry, I can't take your call right now because I'm in the middle of a shot..."

Seems fair to me.

Only thing, we might want something other than the Vibrate setting when we want to silence the ringer...

mplkn's gear list:mplkn's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica SL2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R +31 more
FrithjofA Senior Member • Posts: 1,028

mplkn wrote:

Finally!

I've been saying this for years!

And, I've been getting laughed at for years for asserting this to my phone-carrying friends: we ought to put the phone into the camera, instead of relying on the silly camera in the phone!

Why do I want a phone in a CL? I do not get it.  When I use my CL I want to concentrate on my photography and not been interrupted by a phone call, or some stupid peeping app.

My smartphone is so small that it fits in my CL camera back or any pocket. I would never leave my phone just because I take my CL bag with me.

So I do not get the concept.  I guess some people are looking for a "EierlegendenWollmilchsau" as we say in German, a egglaying pig that has a wool fur and gives milk as well. The smartphone serves that purpose already. Why would somebody want a brick as smartphone?

The only reason to buy a CL or any other APS-C or even FF camera is that I want a real special purpose tool which does a specific task excellently and not jet another swiss pocket knife solution.

for me it more sounds like a out of time april fool's joke.

just my 2ct

F

mplkn
mplkn Regular Member • Posts: 249

Well, not exactly April Fool's, but I did post it with a smiling sense of irony...

To be honest, I'd rather like a less "island kiosk-based" digital landscape. When I shoot a hundred pictures, I'd like them to be waiting on my network RAID when I get home. This nonsense of physical card transfers, or cables, or having to fire up a marginally-decent app on the phone to move stuff around; this is nonsense. It means we're still in kind of the "8-track cartridge" age of quasi-connected devices: connected enough to entice, disconnected enough to be maddening.

It should all be a mesh.

mplkn's gear list:mplkn's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica SL2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm GFX 50R +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads