Where to find filter effects

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
pshummer Regular Member • Posts: 133
Where to find filter effects

Hi,

I want to use the Z6 filter effects. I have color gels for my flash but I want to try the camera's filter effects for the sunset portrait shoot to see how it works. I'm trying to find that setting in my camera but I just couldn't find it.

Can anyone tell me how to find this setting?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

pshummer's gear list:pshummer's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +4 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,964
Re: Where to find filter effects

pshummer wrote:

Hi,

I want to use the Z6 filter effects. I have color gels for my flash but I want to try the camera's filter effects for the sunset portrait shoot to see how it works. I'm trying to find that setting in my camera but I just couldn't find it.

It sounds like you're perhaps asking about something to do with Picture Controls?  Try scrolling through the Picture Controls.

If I recall correctly, there are 2 directions you can scroll:  one direction is Nikon's basic controls like "Standard," Portrait," etc.  The other is like hundreds of random ones.  An easy way to access them is through the i-menu (if you've added this there).

Also remember:  they affect JPEG-rendering only, though they are also tags on the raw file.

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,057

pshummer wrote:

Hi,

In addition to the replies you got, you can shoot an image then go into Photo Shooting Menu and select Retouch for some edits I believe.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
OP pshummer Regular Member • Posts: 133

Thank you for your help, everyone!

pshummer's gear list:pshummer's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +4 more
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 2,068

Shoot raw and edit it any way you want.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +21 more
DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 373

pshummer wrote:

Hi,

Two ways to get there.

MENU:

Hit the MENU button. Then scroll to PHOTO SHHOTING MENU. Scroll down one page. Click on SET PICTURE CONTROL.

The better way long term:

MENU:

Scroll down to the "pencil" icon.

Select "F/Controls"

Click on "F1/Customize i menu."

Then click on any of the i Menu icons with the "OK" button on the camera body. Then select "SET PICTURE CONTROL." Once done, press the MENU button to complete the changes.

Now, you can access the Picture Controls/Artistic Filters directly from the iMenu without diving deep into the main menu each time you want to change picture styles/looks.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D70s +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads