DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209
DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
8

I ended up buying Topaz Gigapixel AI last time it was on sale, and it just works really really well with my DP2M. Upressed to 42mp.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rick decker
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,850
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

Looks very very good.  I have Topaz and Adobe's SuperRes.  I have done 10      comparisons.  SuperRes is only 2x2x so I took the image up to the  same size with Topaz.  SuperRes.  It would be very nice to see size uptions from adobe.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

joe173 Regular Member • Posts: 491
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

rick decker wrote:

Looks very very good. I have Topaz and Adobe's SuperRes. I have done 10 comparisons. SuperRes is only 2x2x so I took the image up to the same size with Topaz. SuperRes. It would be very nice to see size uptions from adobe.

That is something Adobe is planning along with other enhancements. It is in their blog. They want to know what people would be interested in.

Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
3

I do wonder what actually happens with that 'super resolution'?
Those artificial intelligence-fuelled mathematical formulas can only add false information, of course.
Whether it looks good or not is actually of little importance to the concept. A small unreadable text on a sign, photographed from a distance, cannot of course be made readable with super resolution.

And what about the unrecognisable criminal in that photo ... let's enlarge it with super resolution ... hela, he looks very much like you, let's arrest this person quickly.

Jozef.

 Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,073
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
1

Jozef M wrote:

I do wonder what actually happens with that 'super resolution'?
Those artificial intelligence-fuelled mathematical formulas can only add false information, of course.
Whether it looks good or not is actually of little importance to the concept. A small unreadable text on a sign, photographed from a distance, cannot of course be made readable with super resolution.

Or can it, Jozef?

From an article on super-resolution that predates AI techniques.

http://photoncollective.com/enhance-practical-superresolution-in-adobe-photoshop

https://newatlas.com/super-resolution-weizmann-institute/23486/

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone has to do it ...

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
OP ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
3

Played around with some cropping, quite happy with this one.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
rick decker
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,850
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

I like that too

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 13,837
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

Superb!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +38 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,304
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

Jozef M wrote:

I do wonder what actually happens with that 'super resolution'?
Those artificial intelligence-fuelled mathematical formulas can only add false information, of course.
Whether it looks good or not is actually of little importance to the concept. A small unreadable text on a sign, photographed from a distance, cannot of course be made readable with super resolution.

And what about the unrecognisable criminal in that photo ... let's enlarge it with super resolution ... hela, he looks very much like you, let's arrest this person quickly.

. . . reminds me of the movie Minority Report. With the way our government has been acting over the last few years, I would not be surprised at all if this scenario comes to pass.

Our phones are listening to us, and probably wathing us. After-all, they have cameras on both sides, and those are becoming wide-angle cameras more and more. Soon enough they'll be sending video feeds to whoever will pay enough money to get them (free for the government, of course).

Jozef.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,073
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
1

Scottelly wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

I do wonder what actually happens with that 'super resolution'?
Those artificial intelligence-fuelled mathematical formulas can only add false information, of course.
Whether it looks good or not is actually of little importance to the concept. A small unreadable text on a sign, photographed from a distance, cannot of course be made readable with super resolution.

And what about the unrecognisable criminal in that photo ... let's enlarge it with super resolution ... hela, he looks very much like you, let's arrest this person quickly.

. . . reminds me of the movie Minority Report. With the way our government has been acting over the last few years, I would not be surprised at all if this scenario comes to pass.

Our phones are listening to us, and probably wathing us. After-all, they have cameras on both sides, and those are becoming wide-angle cameras more and more. Soon enough they'll be sending video feeds to whoever will pay enough money to get them (free for the government, of course).

One of the good reasons why I now use a Sonim XP3 phonewith the no-camera option and no internet connection. Flip-open with real buttons ... beam me up ...

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone has to do it ...

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
OP ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
1

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

I do wonder what actually happens with that 'super resolution'?
Those artificial intelligence-fuelled mathematical formulas can only add false information, of course.
Whether it looks good or not is actually of little importance to the concept. A small unreadable text on a sign, photographed from a distance, cannot of course be made readable with super resolution.

And what about the unrecognisable criminal in that photo ... let's enlarge it with super resolution ... hela, he looks very much like you, let's arrest this person quickly.

. . . reminds me of the movie Minority Report. With the way our government has been acting over the last few years, I would not be surprised at all if this scenario comes to pass.

Our phones are listening to us, and probably wathing us. After-all, they have cameras on both sides, and those are becoming wide-angle cameras more and more. Soon enough they'll be sending video feeds to whoever will pay enough money to get them (free for the government, of course).

One of the good reasons why I now use a Sonim XP3 phonewith the no-camera option and no internet connection. Flip-open with real buttons ... beam me up ...

But how can you check DPReview while on the go then? I don't get it..

Besides, it's still running Android under the hood, they'll be monitoring you too

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,073
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

ChristianHass wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

I do wonder what actually happens with that 'super resolution'?
Those artificial intelligence-fuelled mathematical formulas can only add false information, of course.
Whether it looks good or not is actually of little importance to the concept. A small unreadable text on a sign, photographed from a distance, cannot of course be made readable with super resolution.

And what about the unrecognisable criminal in that photo ... let's enlarge it with super resolution ... hela, he looks very much like you, let's arrest this person quickly.

. . . reminds me of the movie Minority Report. With the way our government has been acting over the last few years, I would not be surprised at all if this scenario comes to pass.

Our phones are listening to us, and probably wathing us. After-all, they have cameras on both sides, and those are becoming wide-angle cameras more and more. Soon enough they'll be sending video feeds to whoever will pay enough money to get them (free for the government, of course).

One of the good reasons why I now use a Sonim XP3 phonewith the no-camera option and no internet connection. Flip-open with real buttons ... beam me up ...

But how can you check DPReview while on the go then? I don't get it..

LOL. At 81 yrs old and none too mobile, I am rarely on the go anywhere ...

Besides, it's still running Androidunder the hood, they'll be monitoring you too

Misinformation rules, OK.

"Operating System: Proprietary OS"

https://www.sonimtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Sonim_XP3_DataSheet_Sprint_2019.pdf

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone has to do it ...

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
OP ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
1

xpatUSA wrote:

Besides, it's still running Androidunder the hood, they'll be monitoring you too

Misinformation rules, OK.

"Operating System: Proprietary OS"

https://www.sonimtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Sonim_XP3_DataSheet_Sprint_2019.pdf

It was in the article you linked "The XP3 runs a gutted version of Android 8.1"

In any case I'm not looking to start a big debate on this topic

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 20,073
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)
2

ChristianHass wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Besides, it's still running Androidunder the hood, they'll be monitoring you too

Misinformation rules, OK.

"Operating System: Proprietary OS"

https://www.sonimtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Sonim_XP3_DataSheet_Sprint_2019.pdf

It was in the article you linked "The XP3 runs a gutted version of Android 8.1"

Sorry, I missed that bit. Hopefully all the spyware was gutted ...

In any case I'm not looking to start a big debate on this topic

Me neither.

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone has to do it ...

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,304
Re: DP2M hibiscus upressed (42mp image)

xpatUSA wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

I do wonder what actually happens with that 'super resolution'?
Those artificial intelligence-fuelled mathematical formulas can only add false information, of course.
Whether it looks good or not is actually of little importance to the concept. A small unreadable text on a sign, photographed from a distance, cannot of course be made readable with super resolution.

And what about the unrecognisable criminal in that photo ... let's enlarge it with super resolution ... hela, he looks very much like you, let's arrest this person quickly.

. . . reminds me of the movie Minority Report. With the way our government has been acting over the last few years, I would not be surprised at all if this scenario comes to pass.

Our phones are listening to us, and probably wathing us. After-all, they have cameras on both sides, and those are becoming wide-angle cameras more and more. Soon enough they'll be sending video feeds to whoever will pay enough money to get them (free for the government, of course).

One of the good reasons why I now use a Sonim XP3 phonewith the no-camera option and no internet connection. Flip-open with real buttons ... beam me up ...

But how can you check DPReview while on the go then? I don't get it..

LOL. At 81 yrs old and none too mobile, I am rarely on the go anywhere ...

Besides, it's still running Androidunder the hood, they'll be monitoring you too

Misinformation rules, OK.

"Operating System: Proprietary OS"

https://www.sonimtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Sonim_XP3_DataSheet_Sprint_2019.pdf

Holy cow! It's got a USB-C port, and it comes with a screwdriver! lol

Who is Sonim? I looked up that name, and it belongs to a Jpop singer, born in Japan. I guess it could be her company, but is it?

I found:

Sonim Technologies Inc.
6836 Bee Cave Road
Building 1, Suite 279
Austin, TX 78746

Great address! lol

Being located in the suburbs of Austin, Texas, they're obviously not a Silicon Valley company, and I doubt it's a company from Japan, since such a company would more likely be based somewhere on the west coast, like L.A. or Seattle. Bloomberg indicates their adress is:

1875 South Grant Street
Suite 750
San Mateo, CA 94402
United States

Maybe it's a Chinese company. If it is, that's pretty scary, since they serve the emergency services and infrastructure industries all over the U.S. Imagine if we got into a war with China, and they could just shut down our police, fire, and rescue communications devices?

EDIT: Yeah, I think you can pretty much guarantee the Chinese government has a recording of everything that phone can hear Ted. Of course they probably get that from every phone. At least your phone probably isn't shooting photos and videos of you and your home too.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

 Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads