The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,765
Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

telemach wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Thread title implies you were going to mention both pros and cons, but your article was only negative.

so you read only title ?

obviously not, or how could I complain that title doesn’t match?

title is self explanatory and I wrote that there is enough pros already all over the net so there is absolutely no need for me to repeat it; camera is good but has also bad and ugly face

If changed to 'GRIII the bad and ugly' then it would falsely imply that I am bashing this camera and don't see any good in it.

You didn’t mention any good, so how should I know that?

OP telemach Contributing Member • Posts: 685

tkbslc wrote:

You didn’t mention any good, so how should I know that?

simply by reading an introduction

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 381

telemach wrote:

SK_photography wrote:

I had no issues with overheating, battery life, the user interface, or any of the complaints that you make.

so you say the fact you had no issues proves my findings are wrong and non existing ?

No - if you read my post you would see that I didn't say that.

I found the new AF, metering, and IBIS to be a great improvement over the GR.

looks like you missed my point, I don't claim it's a bad camera for any of you nor I contradict someone's experience; I did a list of what is in the camera that Ricoh didn't reveal in manual, didn't fix and didn't explain why changed and removed;

many are trying to decide if they want GR II or GR III or simply considering GR III but most of reviewers don't cover all of that and it might for one be a deal breaker to learn about certain things

I am writing about facts regarding the hardware/firmware and you are writing about personal feels about the camera so these are two different matters.

I didn't "miss" any point at all. I bought the camera because it fitted my requirements for a small, fast, discrete camera. I knew what I was buying, and my experience with it has been entirely positive. It has worked reliably in a range of conditions, from freezing temperatures with ice and snow, to the heat of the Australian summer. Those are simple facts.

It is ironic that you should accuse me of writing about "personal feels" when your article starts with a large "angry emoticon" image!

The issues you list are hardly matters of concern.

• Obvious: The GR III is smaller than the GR/GR II! Really? Is the Pope a Catholic?
  • Trivial: Some obscure issues about file names;  extra blank space on the mode dial; hardly the End of the World!
  • Completely unrealistic expectations: Which camera can do in-camera raw conversion with files from a completely different sensor? Yet you criticise the GR III on the grounds that it can't process GR/GR II files! 

Again, you complain about firmware and hardware bugs, but I haven't experienced any.

As to Ricoh service centres, in many years as a Ricoh user I've never had to use one, so I don't know.

If you wanted a camera with a large battery or external power supply for long bursts of continuous shooting, or several of the other things you complain about, well there are plenty of cameras that can do that. You can hardly be angry at Ricoh for building a camera that addresses a different set of requirements.

S.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 266

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

You seem to be under the misguided impression that it's up to me to answer any of your questions or solve any of your problems. Sorry, not true.

my apologies I thought you posted for discussion but it looks like it was just a monologue

you presented no arguments for your claims and have bad reputation with other users on this forum

Why don't you take your over sensitive, consumer entitlement and deliberate controversy seeking somewhere else, and buy yourself another camera that meets your expectations?

Your inaccurate and emotional outbursts are sad and shameful. Your over reactions to fairly neutral criticism is pathetic.

As for my reputation, now you're just making yourself even more ridiculous than your original post led us to believe.

Seriously, grow up.

-- hide signature --

jfa3000
www.fredfoto.net

SK_photography wrote:

No - if you read my post you would see that I didn't say that.

great

I didn't "miss" any point at all. I bought the camera because it fitted my requirements for a small, fast, discrete camera.

once again you are sharing why YOU bought camera, what YOU like and how it doesn't bother YOU that there are some cons so my post is about camera and your post is about YOU

It is ironic that you should accuse me of writing about "personal feels" when your article starts with a large "angry emoticon" image!

I don't accuse but simply put facts and my emoticon reflects my opinion about decisions made by Ricoh but it doesn't change the topic because these shortcomings exist

The issues you list are hardly matters of concern.

seriously ???? camera that is overheating and turning off is hardly a matter of concern ?

• Obvious: The GR III is smaller than the GR/GR II! Really? Is the Pope a Catholic?

it's easy to check but I am catholic so can confirm for you, yes he is

• Trivial: Some obscure issues about file names; extra blank space on the mode dial; hardly the End of the World!

once again for YOU it is nothing but fact is the problem exists and is repeating

so I present facts and you present your opinion and feels that it doesn't bother you

maybe Ricoh should not do anything about that because if they can fix but it doesn't bother you then it's easier to not care

• Completely unrealistic expectations: Which camera can do in-camera raw conversion with files from a completely different sensor?

camera has a program running on Linux so which one raw processing software is doing DNGs only from one sensor ? it's not beyond their capabilities

• Yet you criticise the GR III on the grounds that it can't process GR/GR II files!

truly amazing, I wrote 'It would be very welcomed' and you read that's as a criticism

Again, you complain about firmware and hardware bugs, but I haven't experienced any.

I have video proof of that and what do you have ? Did you check the camera against these problems or you just stick to : it works for me I won't do anything

As to Ricoh service centres, in many years as a Ricoh user I've never had to use one, so I don't know.

so now you know

If you wanted a camera with a large battery or external power supply for long bursts of continuous shooting, or several of the other things you complain about, well there are plenty of cameras that can do that.

please do list them; similar size/weight, 28mm lens and leaf shutter

it doesn't have to provide large battery but at least same battery time as DB65

You can hardly be angry at Ricoh for building a camera that addresses a different set of requirements.

I can be any angry I want as Ricoh can easily fix many issues in firmware but does nothing.

James Bligh Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
I think his list of criticism about GR3 is fairly pertinent.

jfa3000 wrote:

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

You seem to be under the misguided impression that it's up to me to answer any of your questions or solve any of your problems. Sorry, not true.

my apologies I thought you posted for discussion but it looks like it was just a monologue

you presented no arguments for your claims and have bad reputation with other users on this forum

Why don't you take your over sensitive, consumer entitlement and deliberate controversy seeking somewhere else, and buy yourself another camera that meets your expectations?

Your inaccurate and emotional outbursts are sad and shameful. Your over reactions to fairly neutral criticism is pathetic.

As for my reputation, now you're just making yourself even more ridiculous than your original post led us to believe.

Seriously, grow up.

I have evaluated and rated the items of his list as Appropriate, So so and Inappropriate.

#1 Camera size: S

#2 Battery: A

#3 Overheating: A

#4 Software bugs: A

#5 Duplicate filenames: A

#5.1 File counter: A

#6 Service centers: S

#7 AEL/AFL button: A

#8 Exposure compensation button: S

#9 Rotatory control dial: A

#10 No option to power from external source: S

#11 No way to check shutter count directly in the camera: S

#12 Touch operation: S

#13 Wasted space on mode dial: I

#14 Slow readout from buffer: S

#15 Worse continuous speed: S

#16 Smaller grip: I

#17 No official lens hood: A

#18 No integrated flash: S

#19 No continuous with AF: A

#20 No auto snap: S

#21 No BW filters: S

#22 Effects: A

#23 RAW development: S

#24 User modes: A

#25 Aspect ratio: A

In total

12 Appropriate

12 So so

2 Inappropriate

Conclusion

-- hide signature --

You really want you a pound of flesh, don't you?
-- Mallory to Miller in the movie 'The Guns of Navarone'

Re: I think his list of criticism about GR3 is fairly pertinent.

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

Seriously, grow up.

I have evaluated and rated the items of his list as Appropriate, So so and Inappropriate.

In total

12 Appropriate

12 So so

2 Inappropriate

Conclusion

I think you enjoy wasting your time, and worse, wasting everybody else's...

If you don't like or know how to use the camera, making a wish list for a manufacturer to make the changes you personally see relevant to your personal gratification, is the definition of self deluded consumer entitlement.

Otherwise, go design, manufacture and market the perfect camera you both seem to know should exist, instead of wasting everybody's time here with your delusional fantasy that Ricoh is somehow here listening to your fixated ramblings and will fix minor or non existent issues based on your obsessive repetitions.

You're part a of a tiny, weird minority of GR3 camera haters who should best spend their time doing something positive in your lives instead of confusing people with misdirection who might want to buy the GR3.

It's a great camera, it isn't going to change no matter what you repeatedly say.

If it isn't for you- move on and leave those who enjoy and know how to use it in peace, please.

-- hide signature --

jfa3000
www.fredfoto.net

jfa3000 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

Seriously, grow up.

In total

12 Appropriate

12 So so

2 Inappropriate

Conclusion

If you don't like or know how to use the camera, making a wish list for a manufacturer to make the changes you personally see relevant to your personal gratification, is the definition of self deluded consumer entitlement.

Otherwise, go design, manufacture and market the perfect camera you both seem to know should exist, instead of wasting everybody's time here with your delusional fantasy that Ricoh is somehow here listening to your fixated ramblings and will fix minor or non existent issues based on your obsessive repetitions.

You're part a of a tiny, weird minority of GR3 camera haters who should best spend their time doing something positive in your lives instead of confusing people with misdirection who might want to buy the GR3.

It's a great camera, it isn't going to change no matter what you repeatedly say.

If it isn't for you- move on and leave those who enjoy and know how to use it in peace, please.

There are things that I like and I do not.

There are people who accept criticism and who do not.

Some men got angry and yell and some remain calm and smile. For whatever reason.

After all I am not a peace breaker if not a peace maker.

-- hide signature --

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

Seriously, grow up.

In total

12 Appropriate

12 So so

2 Inappropriate

Conclusion

Some men got angry and yell and some remain calm and smile. For whatever reason.

You're a virtue signalling cliche machine, that's for sure.

-- hide signature --

jfa3000
www.fredfoto.net

jfa3000 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

Seriously, grow up.

In total

12 Appropriate

12 So so

2 Inappropriate

Conclusion

I wonder whether there were any of your writings which were enlightening. Sadly enough I don't recall your writings which were entertaining not to mention enlightening. 

-- hide signature --

The GR III is very popular, especially in Japan. Go to one of the big camera stores in Shinjuku and see for yourself if you don't believe me. So Ricoh is doing something right. Do you expect them to change to accomodate you? It would be more logical for you to go and buy a Sony or something, since that will do all those things you say you want - shooting all day long with fast bursts and continuous eye-tracking AF etc. Personally I'm not interested in shooting like that, so the GR III is perfect for me - and for a lot of other people, apparently.

S.

James Bligh wrote:

thanks for your input,

why do you give #16 Smaller grip: I ?

even Chris Niccolls often talks about this detail in his reviews

so you think it is not a waste but the right move from Ricoh ? there shouldn't be anything for user at this dial position ?

SK_photography wrote:

Personally I'm not interested in shooting like that, so the GR III is perfect for me - and for a lot of other people, apparently.

so you are discussing your personal preference and I am discussing what this camera has or hasn't

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

Seriously, grow up.

In total

12 Appropriate

12 So so

2 Inappropriate

Conclusion

I wonder whether there were any of your writings which were enlightening. Sadly enough I don't recall your writings which were entertaining not to mention enlightening.

I've published three books of my photographic work, a MFA Thesis, and a PhD proposal on Academic.edu, all to do with photography.

If you want to get into a pee pee match, and continue passive aggressive ad hominem sarcastic comments, I won't indulge your time wasting nonsense any more.

If you actually use a GR3, have something useful to say instead of randomly supporting a person whose contradictions have been pointed out to him/her but who still lives in a world of weird denial, then fine, but you're toxic at this stage, so I'll bow out to your superior time wasting skills and won't indulge you any further.

Can you deny that the GR3 is a great camera, that many people enjoy using it, and very few have the minor issues you are supporting, and may not have actually experienced?

Do you even have a GR3? If not, why are you interested in this argument, besides being a troll?

-- hide signature --

jfa3000
www.fredfoto.net

telemach wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

thanks for your input,

why do you give #16 Smaller grip: I ?

even Chris Niccolls often talks about this detail in his reviews

so you think it is not a waste but the right move from Ricoh ? there shouldn't be anything for user at this dial position ?

Why don't you design, manufacture and market a camera to your liking, and quit dissing a perfectly good camera you've shown you haven't the ability to learn how to use without complaining about?

-- hide signature --

jfa3000
www.fredfoto.net

Don't feed the troll

Fred is trolling this forum so please don't feed him.

jfa3000 wrote:

Why don't you design, manufacture and market a camera to your liking, and quit dissing a perfectly good camera you've shown you haven't the ability to learn how to use without complaining about?

telemach wrote:

jfa3000 wrote:

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

It also shows a less developed mind, in terms of originality.

You can't have it both ways!

Enjoy your GR3, despite its obvious  trauma for you in using it.

-- hide signature --

jfa3000
www.fredfoto.net

telemach wrote:

SK_photography wrote:

Personally I'm not interested in shooting like that, so the GR III is perfect for me - and for a lot of other people, apparently.

so you are discussing your personal preference and I am discussing what this camera has or hasn't

No - you are whinging about your personal dislikes, and I am explaining the view of the mainstream GR user base who like the camera. Do you deny that the GR III has a large user base with whom the camera is very popular? As I said, visit one of the major camera stores in Shinjuku and see for yourself if you don’t believe me.

If you don’t like the GR III, why don’t you simply buy a Sony or some other camera with the features you want? I don’t see the point of having a camera and whinging about it. It seems like a weird dpreview thing.

S.

SK_photography wrote:

telemach wrote:

SK_photography wrote:

No - you are whinging about your personal dislikes, and I am explaining the view of the mainstream GR user base who like the camera. Do you deny that the GR III has a large user base with whom the camera is very popular? As I said, visit one of the major camera stores in Shinjuku and see for yourself if you don’t believe me.

If you don’t like the GR III, why don’t you simply buy a Sony or some other camera with the features you want? I don’t see the point of having a camera and whinging about it. It seems like a weird dpreview thing.

S.

Totally agree, mate.

The only saving grace for taking on the weirdos, is that trolls like the OP won't influence future buyers into thinking the GR3 is a terrible camera.

-- hide signature --

jfa3000
www.fredfoto.net

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads