A1 Ibis issues: Final Update.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Jojophotomo Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: Woohoo! The Ibis issue is fixed!!!

f1point4andbethere wrote:

Jojophotomo wrote:

The A1 firmware just launched today has fixed the IBIS delay issue

It's a night vs day difference, as you can see.

The EVF issue has also been addressed, as well as some other improvements...

The A1 is now truly living up to it's potential as the greatest camera to date!!

Thank you everyone who worked with myself and Sony on this, especially Jojophotomo!

Hooray! Updating my A1 now, so excited to go test it out. And dude it was all you buddy - you did the heavy lifting, and now we have fixed cameras (fingers crossed)! Thank you!

I've been testing it all morning; the ibis is flawless now!

I've also been testing the EVF blackout issue, and it looks completely resolved as well. I noticed a split-second delay where it otherwise would have blacked-out I think, but that's completely workable

Great job Sony!

You know I've been testing for the last few minutes and I still can notice a difference on my A9 and my A1 when the ibis kicks on.  With the A1, it's much, much faster now and mostly resolved, but it's almost like it stabilizes vertically at first and then horizontally after the fact (this when shooting in landscape orientation) which is a little strange to see coming from an A9 where the IBIS is absolutely instant.

I'll post more later...!

Other good news I went outside and tried to get the EVF to fail but I wasn't able to achieve a failure in direct sun.  So hooray, that problem is fixed!

Jojophotomo's gear list:Jojophotomo's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a1 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 20mm F1.8G
537dl Forum Member • Posts: 73

Congrats to the OP for  working to get this resolved. Well done.

537dl's gear list:537dl's gear list
Sony a7R III
f1point4andbethere
OP f1point4andbethere Regular Member • Posts: 410

Jojophotomo wrote:

Jojophotomo wrote:

It's a night vs day difference, as you can see.

The EVF issue has also been addressed, as well as some other improvements...

The A1 is now truly living up to it's potential as the greatest camera to date!!

Thank you everyone who worked with myself and Sony on this, especially Jojophotomo!

Hooray! Updating my A1 now, so excited to go test it out. And dude it was all you buddy - you did the heavy lifting, and now we have fixed cameras (fingers crossed)! Thank you!

I've been testing it all morning; the ibis is flawless now!

I've also been testing the EVF blackout issue, and it looks completely resolved as well. I noticed a split-second delay where it otherwise would have blacked-out I think, but that's completely workable

Great job Sony!

You know I've been testing for the last few minutes and I still can notice a difference on my A9 and my A1 when the ibis kicks on. With the A1, it's much, much faster now and mostly resolved, but it's almost like it stabilizes vertically at first and then horizontally after the fact (this when shooting in landscape orientation) which is a little strange to see coming from an A9 where the IBIS is absolutely instant.

I'll post more later...!

I'll be doing a comparison between my A1 and A7III, just to settle my own curiosity. I do feel like it's working at least on par with the A7III now though. In any event, I'm super happy with it; It's a HUGE improvement

Other good news I went outside and tried to get the EVF to fail but I wasn't able to achieve a failure in direct sun. So hooray, that problem is fixed!

f1point4andbethere's gear list:f1point4andbethere's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +3 more
Orsonneke
Orsonneke Regular Member • Posts: 427

Picked up my 50/1.2 as well last Friday.While the IS is astounding , I was initially not charmed with EAF testing at home at F 1.2.A lot of missers (lots of eyelash focuses).
the AF on the eyes seems more improved now and more exact.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159705946@N03/

Orsonneke's gear list:Orsonneke's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +10 more
macautio Contributing Member • Posts: 637

3 times  Hooray to Sony.

HOORAY, HOORAY, HOORAY!

-- hide signature --

markku

macautio's gear list:macautio's gear list
Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Charles Hull Contributing Member • Posts: 779

I've resolved not to get the 135mm f/1.8 GM because of the IBIS issue.

Well you just ruined that excuse!  ( ... starting to work on how to explain it to my wife ... )

And thanks for your persistance with this.  All A1 users, current and future, benefit from it.

Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,487
Dpreview article here for the doubters
 Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +8 more
f1point4andbethere
OP f1point4andbethere Regular Member • Posts: 410
Finally, my A1 vs the A7III after fw 1.10

I've had a few folks reach out and ask if I feel that the A1 ibis is completely fixed after 1.10, and if I feel it's as good as my A7III or A9 (which I sold).

To settle my curiosity and that of others, as well as to put the ibis issue to final conclusion and move-on from, I did perform one final side-by-side, comparing the A1 after 1.10 with the A7III. Again, as with all of my previous tests, this is the first few seconds of a handful of clips, shot directly after lifting by cameras and in the photo mode (Aperture priority):

I think it's safe to say that the A1 IBIS is now completely fixed, and to my eyes the A1 is even slightly more effective that that of the A7III. Though it's pretty close overall, it appears to have very slightly less drift than the A7III, and most importantly it engages instantly.

Thank you for all who helped make this happen. Time to enjoy my A1

f1point4andbethere's gear list:f1point4andbethere's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a1 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads