Japan’s Favorite Camera Brand Isn’t Canon, Nikon, or Sony, Survey Reveals

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,882
Japan’s Favorite Camera Brand Isn’t Canon, Nikon, or Sony, Survey Reveals
tonybelding Senior Member • Posts: 1,088
Re: Japan’s Favorite Camera Brand Isn’t Canon, Nikon, or Sony, Survey Reveals

Spotted that earlier today (although I think it was on a different site).  As soon as I saw the headline, I thought. . .   “Pentax”

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q7 Sony a7 +1 more
kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,360

Japanees folks like their traditions

-- hide signature --

kriztian

Tibor1 Regular Member • Posts: 127

I think the overall strategy of Pentax to stay firmly dedicated to DSLR technology and OVF is beginning to pay off.

A lot of people say it's craziness what they are doing. I disagree, it's definitely a courageous strategy but not a crazy one - there are clear logical assumptions behind it.

First, it's clear that the dslr market is getting more and more abandoned by other camera producers and, at the same time, there are and will be always customers who prefer OVF over EVF for very different reasons. They will exist probably forever.

Second, Pentax obviously works with relatively limited budget, it simply must concentrate its resources. In my opinion, these types of economic constrains make the company often stronger and more inovative in the field of its focus.

And there is also an inovative marketing communication with customers... Take, for example, those pre launch series of "letters" from the marketing manager of Pentax K3iii. It was not a typical corporate style of blabla communication. It was an honest, open and somehow even humble monologue about how he and his teammates perceive the core values of their beloved brand and what they think is essential to do in order to keep the "soul" of Pentax alive. For me personally, a very inspiring and human way of communication with target customers. And a VERY unique one nowadays! And, seeing the (initial) marketing success of the K3iii, it's quite clear that the target customers listen to this style of communication and appreciate what Pentax is currently doing for them.

I am a business consultant and I don't see a craziness in current Pentax's steps. I see a very well built and deep customer insight and courage of the company to rely on it.

Regards,

Tibor

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,955

Totally agree.

Pentax had to go up market and Highest Quality which is what they have done.

The only thing they were lacking was tracking and they now seem to be on the game with that and it will roll onto the K1 and 645 series.

Video is a debatable requirement for many users - serious video is a whole different ball game to still photography and imo you are better off with  a dedicated video camera.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +14 more
justmeMN Forum Pro • Posts: 10,144

"Pentax/Ricoh only has roughly a 3% market share in the Japanese DSLR market (according to BCN Awards),"

Apparently the brand is popular amongst people who don't actually buy cameras.

RBIV Regular Member • Posts: 346

I agree with the points you make.  I spent 30 years with ILFORD so I understand what working for a smaller more flexible manufacturer is up against when competing with "giants."

ILFORD did it by picking and choosing where they would compete. They are still in business in what was a very declining market.  So  Pentax can do it too with well thought out strategies that are implemented well.  But....

...they must be well thought out strategies that are implemented well,  because truth is 3% market share is a problem.  I think staying with DSLR is a good decision.  But I also think it's critical that they grow that market share up a bit.

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more
GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,641

Tibor1 wrote:

I think the overall strategy of Pentax to stay firmly dedicated to DSLR technology and OVF is beginning to pay off.

A lot of people say it's craziness what they are doing. I disagree, it's definitely a courageous strategy but not a crazy one - there are clear logical assumptions behind it.

First, it's clear that the dslr market is getting more and more abandoned by other camera producers and, at the same time, there are and will be always customers who prefer OVF over EVF for very different reasons. They will exist probably forever.

I agree, though looking back through the history of photography, when hot products go out of fashion, they tend to crater pretty hard. Folding roll film cameras were a staple of photography for about 60 years. There were ones made after their demise, but not many. This is the only one I know of off the top of my head...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4331048507/get-em-while-you-can-new-fujifilm-gf670-folding-cameras-on-sale

Those that failed to transition to the next hot product you have probably not heard of. The next hot product was 35mm fixed rangefinders. 10 years later, it happened again and those that didn't transition to SLR are now footnotes.

Second, Pentax obviously works with relatively limited budget, it simply must concentrate its resources. In my opinion, these types of economic constrains make the company often stronger and more inovative in the field of its focus.

The part that strategy that doesn't make sense to me is that waning development of DSLR lenses means there will be no Tokina or Tamron lens partnerships going forward. Pentax's small market share will have to be enough to cover the design of all new lenses, without any wheeling and dealing as they have done in the past. New camera development may be slow, but Pentax knows how to create good upper tier DSLRs at decent price points. It's the lens situation that is troublesome.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +8 more
RBIV Regular Member • Posts: 346

GossCTP wrote:

The part that strategy that doesn't make sense to me is that waning development of DSLR lenses means there will be no Tokina or Tamron lens partnerships going forward. Pentax's small market share will have to be enough to cover the design of all new lenses, without any wheeling and dealing as they have done in the past. New camera development may be slow, but Pentax knows how to create good upper tier DSLRs at decent price points. It's the lens situation that is troublesome.

It strikes me that things might not be so rosy for the independent lens manufacturers either.  Rapid change in formats and mounting systems, declining volumes, and who knows what comes next.

The Big Three camera manufacturers probably want to offer high end end lenses, and perhaps allow independents as off brand, or do OEM deals for the low end.  I'm not sure how attractive that is to a Sigma or Tamron.

I wonder if the possibility exists for an independent to work with Ricoh/Pentax.  Certainly smaller volumes, but at better margins is my guess,  as long as Pentax has DSLR bodies people want.

Not predicting or suggesting,  just wondering...

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +2 more
LightBug Senior Member • Posts: 2,729

solarider wrote:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/17/japans-favorite-camera-brand-isnt-canon-nikon-or-sony-survey-reveals/

Could be a lot of nostalgia from the manual film camera days when Pentax was most dominant.

-- hide signature --

Joey

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +20 more
RemcoR Senior Member • Posts: 1,301

I feel the love every time I touch my Pentax.....

RemcoR

-- hide signature --

Pentax K-1
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F2.8
Pentax FA 35mm F2 AL
Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 35-70mm F3.4 Macro
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.7 Contax
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm F1.4 ZK
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126796413@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=3458522

Carlos U Regular Member • Posts: 328
Whenever you find yourself on........

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

-- hide signature --

Saludos,
Carlos.

Carlos U's gear list:Carlos U's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +11 more
PentUp Senior Member • Posts: 1,912
Re: Whenever you find yourself on........

Carlos U wrote:

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Mark Twain

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads