The Wheel turns Full Circle.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,546
The Wheel turns Full Circle.

About eight years ago I use to fix watches and sell them on eBay. Even with a micro-Nikkor 60mm lens, my Nikon DSLR was never quite sharp enough for me - and my post-processing skill wasn't all that good either.

So I bought a used SD9 with it's two kit lenses - and it came also with a Sigma manual 50mm true-macro f/2.8 which even had an aperture ring on it. Wow, talk about sharp!! Sold the Nikon gear within weeks.

From my gear list, it can be seen that I've owned a few Sigmas since then, some models more than once. But today, I'm sending the SD15 to it's new owner which leaves me with just the recently purchased, new-in-box, SD9 and it's brother (bought for parts).

Full Circle indeed ...

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone's gotta do it ...

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Sigma SD15 Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rudi Senior Member • Posts: 1,872
Re: The Wheel turns Full Circle.

xpatUSA wrote:

About eight years ago I use to fix watches and sell them on eBay. Even with a micro-Nikkor 60mm lens, my Nikon DSLR was never quite sharp enough for me - and my post-processing skill wasn't all that good either.

So I bought a used SD9 with it's two kit lenses - and it came also with a Sigma manual 50mm true-macro f/2.8 which even had an aperture ring on it. Wow, talk about sharp!! Sold the Nikon gear within weeks.

From my gear list, it can be seen that I've owned a few Sigmas since then, some models more than once. But today, I'm sending the SD15 to it's new owner which leaves me with just the recently purchased, new-in-box, SD9 and it's brother (bought for parts).

Full Circle indeed ...

Hello Ted,

that shows good things from the past aren´t necessarily bad today ?

Had to learn that over the years myself. Not much that sounds better than an `65 - `67 Strat  .

Rudi.

xpatUSA
OP xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,546

Rudi wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Full Circle indeed ...

Hello Ted,

that shows good things from the past aren´t necessarily bad today ?

Had to learn that over the years myself. Not much that sounds better than an `65 - `67 Strat .

Had one myself for quite a while, Rudi. Used to play Shadows, Ventures, etc.

Now I have a couple of mongrels:

A Yamaha Pacifica strat copy with the neck and bridge pickups replaced by Seymour Duncan skinny humbuckers.

A home-assembled used Strat ash body with a third-party neck and two Schaller Golden 50's full-size humbuckers.

Neither one sounds better than a "real" Strat ...

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
larryj Forum Pro • Posts: 12,022

HI Ted:  Thanks for the tour around the your full circle wheel.  I have done something similar, I simulate the SD9 by using my SD1 Merrill on low rez.  The colors do not match the SD9, but the files have the edge sharpness of the SD9.  Fun to play with the smaller file and they process much faster!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
xpatUSA

larryj wrote:

HI Ted: Thanks for the tour around the your full circle wheel.

You're welcome, Larry!

I have done something similar, I simulate the SD9 by using my SD1 Merrill on low rez.

Great minds think alike - I too shot low res on the SD1 Merrill.

The colors do not match the SD9, but the files have the edge sharpness of the SD9. Fun to play with the smaller file and they process much faster!

Yep.

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA
The Other SD9.

I bought my other "parts" SD9 so that I can keep a second battery carrier stocked with freshly-charged batteries to take along, just in case.

Today, I wondered if the parts camera actually works. It looks like the LCD on the back is dead. One's first thought was ho-hum - but then everything else does work and, since it's a raw-only camera, it can be used without all that menu stuff. After all, it has an optical viewfinder and the settings are visible in it as indeed they are in the top LCD.

I'm rather pleased ...

-- hide signature --

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,664
Re: The Other SD9.

xpatUSA wrote:

I bought my other "parts" SD9 so that I can keep a second battery carrier stocked with freshly-charged batteries to take along, just in case.

Today, I wondered if the parts camera actually works. It looks like the LCD on the back is dead. One's first thought was ho-hum - but then everything else does work and, since it's a raw-only camera, it can be used without all that menu stuff. After all, it has an optical viewfinder and the settings are visible in it as indeed they are in the top LCD.

I'm rather pleased ...

Ted,

You'd pay around $2000.00 to get a Leica like that.:-D

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
xpatUSA
Re: The Other SD9.

Ceistinne wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

I'm rather pleased ...

Ted,

You'd pay around $2000.00 to get a Leica like that.

Excellent point ...

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads