Best EOS-M body for manual focus.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,479
Best EOS-M body for manual focus.

Thoughts?  Please don't say EOS-M!  That's why I am asking this questions before deciding to once again invest in the system.  Early adopter from when we got those great deals in the beginning.

Advi
Advi Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Best EOS-M body for manual focus.

The body should have focus peaking and 10x magnification. And more dials.

So, M5 or M6 may be good choices, depending on price and your need for EVF.

Pick M50 only if flippy screen is important for you.

-- hide signature --

Bye

Advi's gear list:Advi's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,310

I don't have experience with any EOS-M body -- I'm researcing M6II for birding.

For manual focus, my opinion is that the lens plays equally important part, if not more. A lens with more mechanical fedback (as opposed to electronic focus-by-wire ring) and long throw for precise focus are very important.

I am guessing that you have one or more such lenses and hence the body question.

-- hide signature --

See my profile (About me) for gear and my posting policy.

OP Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,479

Yes.  The EOS-M just wasn't thought out for manual focus.  Every other APS-C camera I've tried, when you go into manual mode and enlargement for focusing, a tap of the shutter brings you back to full view.

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,583

When I'm using focus peaking for manual focus, I don't need, or use, enlargement.  You can tell when even fine detail is in focus when using focus peaking.

Jack Calypso Contributing Member • Posts: 618

I've mostly used enlargement, since one of the reasons I bought the M6 II was to check out some of my and my Dad's old MF lenses in detail. In normal use, though, I think Focus Peaking would usually be fine.

Still waiting on that digital microprism.

Larry Rexley Regular Member • Posts: 368

I use vintage manual focus lenses quite often... sometimes I pack my bag with only manual focus lenses if I am in a 'vintage' mood and not shooting moving subjects.

I've only shot with the M6 and M6 Mark II from the 'M' line and both work extremely well, in my opinion, for manual focusing. In fact I would say they are better for me than any of the old 'original' vintage cameras the lenses were designed for in the 70s and 80s.

I have focus peaking on my M6ii turned to max sensitivity, and my preference is to use the 'blue' peaking highlights rather than red or yellow. I find the blue to stand out more for the landscapes and subjects I shoot.

When I'm shooting landscapes at f5.6 or f8, focus peaking is my method of choice, as it gives a good impression of the 'depth' of focus and it is very fast. For smaller apertures focus peaking is much faster than 'zoom' focusing and is good enough. Sometimes I will focus wide open and stop down, sometimes I will focus already stopped down.

When shooting wide open, or close to wide open (low light or for lens tests) I will use the 10x magnified focusing which makes tack-sharp focus pretty obvious. I love the fact that you can shift the 'magnified' region anywhere in the frame with the 'arrow' controls. Some of my vintage lenses have pronounced field curvature, and focusing a point in the middle, then moving the camera so that the desired focus point is off to one side does not give accurate focusing.

I have a Yashica ML 50mm f1.7 that has a quite short focus throw and is an extremely sharp lens, which is difficult to focus precisely on any camera. The slightest amount off makes the difference between a tack sharp photo and an obviously fuzzy one. For this lens I use the 10x magnifier much more often than the other lenses, and even with the magnifier, focusing the lens is tricky! After focusing, just taking my finger off the focusing barrel sometimes shifts focus ever-so slightly to out-of-focus --- and I may have to refocus one or more times. This is the only lens I have that issue with, but I read others have the same issue with that lens as well.

I have a Minolta MC Rokkor-X 28mm f2.8 and an Ultranar (Kobori-made) 28-200mm f 3.8-5.6 superzoom that are also very tricky to focus. At the wide end they both have very sensitive focusing, and both lenses have noticeable field curvature. The M6ii's manual focusing abilities are flexible and give you what you need to focus those more difficult lenses.

Larry Rexley's gear list:Larry Rexley's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +4 more
OP Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,479

Thanks, Larry, for taking the time to write those notes.  Great insights that I hadn't thought about, especially how to use peaking versus magnified view.  Some DSLRs do have a focus confirm for manual focusing.  Don't know if that has translated to mirrorless cameras.

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 349

As you had the original M you probably know about the limitations.

I had the M100 and that model offered a nice feature: Once you were in magnified view, you could cycle from 5x to 10x and back to 1x by simply turning the control wheel. That made things a lot easier as you could keep holding the lens and the camera without the need to tap on the screen. Sadly this feature has been removed in M200. Maybe somebody can tell if it's there in the M50 as that would be from the same generation as the M100?

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,107

IWBF wrote:

As you had the original M you probably know about the limitations.

I had the M100 and that model offered a nice feature: Once you were in magnified view, you could cycle from 5x to 10x and back to 1x by simply turning the control wheel. That made things a lot easier as you could keep holding the lens and the camera without the need to tap on the screen. Sadly this feature has been removed in M200. Maybe somebody can tell if it's there in the M50 as that would be from the same generation as the M100?

Yes the feature you mention is available on the M50. No idea about the M50 MKII though.

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 349

Jack Calypso wrote:

Fujifilm X-T3 2018.

Jack Calypso Contributing Member • Posts: 618

IWBF wrote:

Jack Calypso wrote:

Fujifilm X-T3 2018.

Cool I hadn't been paying much attention to Fuji until recently, after hearing them mentioned often here. A solid lineup of APC and  nice MF, what's missing?

AKRover Regular Member • Posts: 277

If you use fast lenses and fast shutter speeds, EFCS will give you weird effects when using manual lenses. The exposure will vary across the frame. We don’t see that with fast electronic EF or EFM lenses because Canon adjusts for this effect, even in the raw file, but they can’t adjust with a non-reporting lens. There is also a bokeh effect that Canon can’t fix. If you plan to use fast fully manual lenses with fast shutter speeds, I would recommend the M6II as it only uses a fully mechanical shutter or fully electronic shutter.

AKRover's gear list:AKRover's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +8 more
m100 Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Gesture wrote:

Thoughts? Please don't say EOS-M! That's why I am asking this questions before deciding to once again invest in the system. Early adopter from when we got those great deals in the beginning.

The M100 can do focus peaking in magnified mode. M6II does not. M50 does not either.

-- hide signature --

" It's a virus that hitches a ride on our love and our trust for other people. "
Dr. Celine Gounder

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads