Video workflow, prune source video?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
JLTaylor Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
Video workflow, prune source video?

I have a couple of new projects that need video. So I'm starting to use all that video capability built into my stills cameras. It's been an interesting exercise, and it only required a modest investment in a set of ND filters and wireless mics to have a reasonably capable setup. It has also quadrupled my respect for film makers.

I have way too much original source video that I would prefer to not keep.

I'm shooting interviews, and using a couple of hours of source video, shot on multiple cameras, to create clips that are only a couple of minutes long.

I'm using Davinci Resolve to edit. It is my understanding, perhaps incorrect, that after I finish editing if I do anything to the source files, like delete the parts I know I won't use, it will break the project.

I could do some editing before loading the clips into Resolve, but because I'm shooting multicam I don't want to try and keep track and sync a bunch of short clips.

I haven't been able to find a solution on the web, but it could be because I'm not using the proper terminology.

Can I change my workflow, or is it standard practice to keep all the source material?

-- hide signature --
ANSWER:
Tavarino Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: Video workflow, prune source video?

There is not enough disk space on the planet to hold all of my source video, especially when I forget to pause all of the cameras between takes.

I use a great piece of software:

https://lesspain.software/kyno/

for ingesting, selecting, trimming, keywording, organizing my footage before editing. The biggest downside for me is that it doesn't support ProRes RAW yet.

Tavarino's gear list:Tavarino's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +16 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 2,308

Once you render everything out to the final output you can do anything you want to the source files.

Supposedly the media management section supposedly can be used to trim source files but I've never tried .

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,886

NickZ2016 wrote:

Once you render everything out to the final output you can do anything you want to the source files.

Supposedly the media management section supposedly can be used to trim source files but I've never tried .

Yes, in the Media Management tab you can delete clips from the project. Once that is done, you can delete the clips entirely.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more

I think one of the options lets you trim the clips. At least that's my understanding of the option.

Thing scares me -) I'd rather use a bit more space than risk the files

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,622

Markr041 wrote:

Yes, in the Media Management tab you can delete clips from the project. Once that is done, you can delete the clips entirely.

You can also delete them from the file system first and then go in later and delete them from Resolve if you want.  It'll show missing video files in red with "Media Offline", but you can still delete them from the project.

But I think the OP isn't asking about deleting whole clips, he's asking about getting rid of those portions of a clip that aren't used in the project.   He referred to a multicam setup so it may be, for example, that he has five hour-long clips that have different angles of the same scene, and now that he's finished editing his project he'd like to eliminate those portions of the five clips that he didn't use.

OP JLTaylor Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

Sean Nelson wrote:

But I think the OP isn't asking about deleting whole clips, he's asking about getting rid of those portions of a clip that aren't used in the project. He referred to a multicam setup so it may be, for example, that he has five hour-long clips that have different angles of the same scene, and now that he's finished editing his project he'd like to eliminate those portions of the five clips that he didn't use.

Quick replies.  Thanks.

One example.  I have a 20 minute clip with two cameras on tripods, and one hand held. I kept them all running so I would only need to sync once and create a mulitcam clip and select the angle I want in Resolve.  The hand held has about 15 minutes sitting on a desk filming a wall. I have no reason to keep any of that.

For now I would like to make changes after rendering the first pass.  I will get better at color correction, or my shoot some B-roll I want to add.

Is there a safe way to cut unused parts of the original source video, and still be able to make improvements to the editing?

I did a couple of quick tests, and had to start editing from the beginning.

-- hide signature --

Tavarino wrote:

There is not enough disk space on the planet to hold all of my source video, especially when I forget to pause all of the cameras between takes.

I use a great piece of software:

https://lesspain.software/kyno/

for ingesting, selecting, trimming, keywording, organizing my footage before editing. The biggest downside for me is that it doesn't support ProRes RAW yet.

Thanks, I took a quick look and it looks like it isn't an easy problem to solve.  At my beginner level I will probably be best to keep everything.

-- hide signature --

Under media management you'll see an option with a number of frames before/after handles. I think that's the option you want. It's supposed to edit the original clip keeping an extra number of frame around the used part.

Sean Nelson

NickZ2016 wrote:

Under media management you'll see an option with a number of frames before/after handles. I think that's the option you want. It's supposed to edit the original clip keeping an extra number of frame around the used part.

Yeah, this looks like it'll do exactly what the OP is looking for.  It's described starting on page 798 of the DaVinci Resolve 17 reference manual (this PDF is installed when you install DVR version 17.2, which has just been released).

You open your project and select "File -> Media Management" from the top menu bar.  It'll copy all your media, or all your used media, or copy and trim all your used media to a destination folder and let you automatically relink everything in the project to the new files.  It gives you the option to do this for specific clips, for specific timelines, or for the entire project.

If you have transitions in the project then I'm thinking you'll need to be sure to save enough frame handles (frames before the "In" point and after the "Out" point) to cover the transitions.

I wasn't aware of this feature until Nick pointed it out (thanks!), if you use it let us know how it worked for you.  I personally would back everything up somewhere before I tried it, including exporting the project to a ".drp" file so you can undo everything if needed.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

Sean Nelson wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

Yeah, this looks like it'll do exactly what the OP is looking for. It's described starting on page 798 of the DaVinci Resolve 17 reference manual (this PDF is installed when you install DVR version 17.2, which has just been released).

You open your project and select "File -> Media Management" from the top menu bar. It'll copy all your media, or all your used media, or copy and trim all your used media to a destination folder and let you automatically relink everything in the project to the new files. It gives you the option to do this for specific clips, for specific timelines, or for the entire project.

If you have transitions in the project then I'm thinking you'll need to be sure to save enough frame handles (frames before the "In" point and after the "Out" point) to cover the transitions.

I wasn't aware of this feature until Nick pointed it out (thanks!), if you use it let us know how it worked for you. I personally would back everything up somewhere before I tried it, including exporting the project to a ".drp" file so you can undo everything if needed.

Thanks all.  That was what I was hoping for.  I have a test project for experimenting with tools and workflow, and will try out a couple of test cases tonight.  I will also backup the real project and keep duplicates of all the source files for awhile.

It would have taken a while to find it, the manual is over 3500 pages.

-- hide signature --
Sean Nelson

JLTaylor wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

Under media management...

Yeah, this looks like it'll do exactly what the OP is looking for. It's described starting on page 798 of the DaVinci Resolve 17 reference manual...

Thanks all. That was what I was hoping for. I have a test project for experimenting with tools and workflow, and will try out a couple of test cases tonight. I will also backup the real project and keep duplicates of all the source files for awhile.

It would have taken a while to find it, the manual is over 3500 pages.

99% of the trick in finding things in the manual is to understand the jargon that Resolve uses.  "Handles", "bouncing", "Dynamic Zoom" etc. are all very Resolve-specific terms that you pick up as you go.   Once you have the name, searching the manual is simple.   So credit Nick with knowing what to look for.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads