Bergger Panaro 400 - anyone use this film?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
enitka Junior Member • Posts: 39
Bergger Panaro 400 - anyone use this film?

I have shot this film both at 100 and 400 and find that it've very grainy.  I've developed it in HC110B and stand development with Rodinal 1:100 and still can't get confortable with the look.  I've seen some pictures posted with this film that look decent so I'm looking for other film addicts that have used this film to get their take.

tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,517
Re: Bergger Panaro 400 - anyone use this film?

I’ve used it in both 135 and 120, developed in ID11. I like it (in certain situations) but it’s definitely grainy, and the shadows tend to go to mush.

If you’re looking for a ‘clean’ emulsion I’d look elsewhere (Tmax400 perhaps?)

Rolleiflex 2.8D

Leica M2

blåland Contributing Member • Posts: 541

I have shot 3 rolls of 35mm and sent them to a lab for development. The first two were not very grainy but the last one was.

Not very grainy here.

Minolta X-700 MD Zoom 75-150mm f4

More grain here but maybe my Pentax PC35-AF underexposes.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
OP enitka Junior Member • Posts: 39

I bought a bunch of it a year ago and so I have only myself to blame for having at least 5 more rolls to shoot.  Live and Learn.  Thanks tassienick for you comments

OP enitka Junior Member • Posts: 39

Many thanks blaland for your comments.  Would be interesting to know what a commercial lab uses to process this film.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,513

Guessing an aggressive developer, some form of HC-110.

I have sent the question to the lab so we will see.

An interesting detail is that with the first two films that were less grainy I also sent the box that has instructions on it. But not with the last one.

Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,517

blåland wrote:

[...]

Not very grainy here.

Minolta X-700 MD Zoom 75-150mm f4

With respect, I would describe that as 'very grainy' compared to every other common 400iso b&w I've shot.

It does look under, but it also looks like the mushy shadows I was talking about (which seems to happen even when the exposure is spot on).

I haven't experimented enough with the film to see if different exposing and/or developing improves the rendering of shadows.

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,434

enitka wrote:

I have shot this film both at 100 and 400 and find that it've very grainy. I've developed it in HC110B and stand development with Rodinal 1:100 and still can't get confortable with the look. I've seen some pictures posted with this film that look decent so I'm looking for other film addicts that have used this film to get their take.

I've  used  Rodinal -and subsequently R clones -for decades at 1:50, 13.5 minutes   with regular agitation / inversion with Agfapan 100  and Acros  100  with excellent results and absolute minimum grain.

Never tried Bergger - I am not one for experimentation -always figured I would try  that and Rollie  when the need arises.

I have never needed to use 400 ASA.

-- hide signature --

dw

tassienick wrote:

blåland wrote:

[...]

Not very grainy here.

With respect, I would describe that as 'very grainy' compared to every other common 400iso b&w I've shot.

Relative to the other shot is what I meant. But isn't Tri-X similar?

It does look under, but it also looks like the mushy shadows I was talking about (which seems to happen even when the exposure is spot on).

I haven't experimented enough with the film to see if different exposing and/or developing improves the rendering of shadows.

The lab responded that they use Ilfotec DD-X.

I don't know much about developers, what are the opinions on that one?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads