Buying Lens for shooting kids, need advise.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
10DeeQ Regular Member • Posts: 161
Buying Lens for shooting kids, need advise.

hi, i currently using A7 II , and soon will be upgrading to mark IV when it's available.

my current lens collection are

-Batis 25/2

-Sony Zeiss 35 f2.8

-Sony Zeiss 55 f1.8

-Sony G 70-200 f4

i uses mostly prime but since i have 2 daughters now, i have no time to shoot them,

so mostly i'm using my iPhone to take picture of them 😁

now since the pandemic, i have a little bit more times to play with my camera again, and also my Batis 25 f2 is broken now, you know kids πŸ˜”.

so im in the market for another lens.

i really want a zoom now as being a parents we already carrying a lot of kids stuff when we are travelling and also it's very troublesome to change lenses with kids are around, hence the batis tragedy πŸ˜”

in my mind i'm eyeing :

-Sony G 24-105 f4 OSS

-Sony GM 24-70 f2.8

-Sigma art 24-70 f2.8

all have pro's an cons, so i couldnt really decide yet which one i should get.

i like the sony 24-105 , but will the f4 sufficient for "freezing" the kids ? i'm thinking to use it for mainly outdoors or at least a brightly lit indoor situation, when i need a low light lens i can still bring the 35 f2.8 or the 55 f1.8 since they are quite small.

the 24-70 GM is also tempting , but the size and price reeally make me think twice.

the sigma is very tempting, but since it's not a "Sony" brand, i'm skeptical about it's autofocus perfromance, i'm buying the next a7 IV body that surely have a better af and better burst than my A7 II , i worried the Sigma can't take a full advantage of it since it's not sony branded lens (is this just my thought or is it the truth ?)

one more thing, the GM and the Sigma doesn't have. OSS, the sony 24-105 have OSS. Does it make a differences when using it handheld ? since most probably the A7 IV will have in body image stabilizer just like the A7 II that i have.

so those who have experiences with all of the lenses above to shoot kids, or pets, please give me some inputs, thank you so much.

10DeeQ's gear list:10DeeQ's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4
Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP 10DeeQ Regular Member • Posts: 161
Re: Buying Lens for shooting kids, need advise.

basically i need a zoom lens that is fast enough to "freeze" this kids and pets

and also stable enough to be used handheld without a tripod

but most importantly, can take advantages of faster AF on a better future A7 bodies.

Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,900

I have absolutely no problem to freeze running kids even with f5.6 zoom on apsc, so FF f4 zoom will be perfect.

Hovewer I'm allways prone to buy lighter lenses, si I would strongly consider new Sigma 28-70f2.8.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +1 more

sony 24-105 f4 is lighter than sigma 24-70 f2.8

rgwaller1
rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,031

Check out the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and Sigma 28-70 f/2.8. Jared Polin has done reviews on these so check out his youtube videos or Gordon Laing.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 +17 more

i will need the 24 on the wide end as my previous batis is 25, 28 is not wide enough for me .

LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,207

My 2 cents no question the 24-105 mm

You dont need f 2.8 and most likely you are stopping down anyway since they are moving targets not staying not the same focal plane so F 8 there about to shoot.

I just upgraded my A7iii and shot many events and runway fashion of models walking the runway.  i shot live bands all with the 24-105... Yes I used flash and any system I get an external flash is a must have..  Diffuse and bounce with what you are doing and you are fine when needed.

The other body idea I have not fully researched is the A7C

You want a zoom over a prime lens for this because your frame can always be changing and by the time you say I need to change lenses back and forth that is all you are doing.

at that point back to the iphone etc...

SO 24-105 is a great lens constant aperture and if you decide to do video on demand its best practice to have a fixed aperture lens anyway especially for a zoom.

IMO money is not object when it comes to family since you can not necessarily repeat a lost moment.

Dave_Good Contributing Member • Posts: 905

The 24-105/4 is a good suggestion (I just bought one) but not for moving subjects with the A7ii. As you already know that body is not the best at maintaining compared to the newer generations. A prime would be better but less convenient.

Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
JahRo Junior Member • Posts: 36

I had a Sony 24-105 and Tamron 28-75 and kept the Tamron, cause I felt the 2.8 aperture was far more useful for higher shutter speeds and indoor shooting for family. If you’re not considering the Tamron, I’d go with the Sigma.

JahRo's gear list:JahRo's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +2 more
Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,091

10DeeQ wrote:

sony 24-105 f4 is lighter than sigma 24-70 f2.8

He said the 28-70 f2.8, different lens then the 24-70 f2.8, it's like 600g IIRC which makes it the lightest f2.8 by far, tho it's only a little smaller than the Tamron 28-75/2.8. DPR recently reviewed it. If you want to insure max compatibility with future Sony bodies and burst modes you're better off with a Sony lens, but if portability is a concern and 15fps are fine then the Sigma might indeed be worth a look.

If you need 24mm and prefer the range then the 24-105 G is a no brainer, it's on sale often so check camelcamelcamel for the price history if it's not currently on sale. Like you said, you've got faster and smaller primes when needed...

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
darrellc Regular Member • Posts: 445

Have kids (now 8 and 12), have owned the lenses you currently have and have had the 24-105 from release and tried the 24-70GM for a bit.

24-105 is too slow (f4) indoors or in low light with any movement necessitating faster shutter speeds without relying on flash IMO. I tend to use the FE 35/1.8 which has superlative C-AF ability on the latest bodies (have A7RIV) in these conditions. The 35 GM will replace it soon. The 24-105 is a great family lens in daylight, bright conditions, capable of excellent shots even at f4 (better at f5.6 towards the long end).
You’ll get lots of differing opinions in these responses and many will say go for the 24-105.

My opinion is you want a f2.8 zoom and preferably a fast prime for shooting kids (f2 or better) in marginal light conditions.

there are tests of the OSS out there… I think you gain maybe a stop at most vs IBIS only in the zoom’s focal range. It doesn’t make a big difference. Does help more in video though.

darrellc wrote:

Have kids (now 8 and 12), have owned the lenses you currently have and have had the 24-105 from release and tried the 24-70GM for a bit.

24-105 is too slow (f4) indoors or in low light with any movement necessitating faster shutter speeds without relying on flash IMO. I tend to use the FE 35/1.8 which has superlative C-AF ability on the latest bodies (have A7RIV) in these conditions. The 35 GM will replace it soon. The 24-105 is a great family lens in daylight, bright conditions, capable of excellent shots even at f4 (better at f5.6 towards the long end).
You’ll get lots of differing opinions in these responses and many will say go for the 24-105.

My opinion is you want a f2.8 zoom and preferably a fast prime for shooting kids (f2 or better) in marginal light conditions.

there are tests of the OSS out there… I think you gain maybe a stop at most vs IBIS only in the zoom’s focal range. It doesn’t make a big difference. Does help more in video though.

If you read OP's post carefully, he want zoom for bright condition. Lowlight is already covered by primes. So f4 zoom is plenty fast for that.

Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +1 more
Bill_A Forum Member • Posts: 82

For the price range of a 70-200 F2.8 GM you could pick up a RX10M4.  Great for bight conditions, 11 frames a second for sport shots and useful for other types of photo interests.  Cons: ISO not all that great past 1600 and sensor struggles in dark situations.

Bill_A's gear list:Bill_A's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 II Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +1 more

thx guys, getting my self the 24-105 f4

because i still have a 55 f1,8 and 35 f2.8 for my "indoor" lens

maybe next target will be trading my 35 f2.8 to the 35 f1.4 😁

pawelmod Forum Member • Posts: 52

10DeeQ wrote:

Congrats!

Here is some of my experience with shooting my kiddo.
When my son was younger (0-3years) and needed more care, and I was the only person around, I was always using A7III + 35mm. The reason for that was that I was able to shoot using one hand only. With zoom you always need both hands.
In all other situations I'm using 24105 outdoor and 35 1.8 or 85 1.8 indoor (especially with poor light). 1.8 works nicely with shooting one person.

But you have a two daughters which means that most often you want to have them both sharp so you need use at least F4/5.6 because of DOF. That means that 24105 will work perfectly for you. One more benefit: 24105G is the only standard zoom lens with OSS which makes a difference for video (pretty sure that you are video recording as well

PS. After thousand of shots I have realized that that 70% of all my keepers are shot @24 and @105 which means that focal length range works for me.

-- hide signature --

Pawel

pawelmod's gear list:pawelmod's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +3 more

pawelmod wrote:

10DeeQ wrote:

Congrats!

When my son was younger (0-3years) and needed more care, and I was the only person around, I was always using A7III + 35mm. The reason for that was that I was able to shoot using one hand only. With zoom you always need both hands.
In all other situations I'm using 24105 outdoor and 35 1.8 or 85 1.8 indoor (especially with poor light). 1.8 works nicely with shooting one person.

But you have a two daughters which means that most often you want to have them both sharp so you need use at least F4/5.6 because of DOF. That means that 24105 will work perfectly for you. One more benefit: 24105G is the only standard zoom lens with OSS which makes a difference for video (pretty sure that you are video recording as well

PS. After thousand of shots I have realized that that 70% of all my keepers are shot @24 and @105 which means that focal length range works for me.

wow , never thought about he DOF and 2 kids, it's very clever

thanks 😁

10DeeQ wrote:

pawelmod wrote:

10DeeQ wrote:

Congrats!

thanks 😁

You have to teach your family to pose primarily in plane paralel to camera sensor, so you can use wider aperture :-). It's tough with my 4y daughter, but, but I keep training 😁😁😁

Martin_99 wrote:

10DeeQ wrote:

pawelmod wrote:

10DeeQ wrote:

Congrats!

thanks 😁

You have to teach your family to pose primarily in plane paralel to camera sensor, so you can use wider aperture :-). It's tough with my 4y daughter, but, but I keep training 😁😁😁

To be hones there should be a separated category for photographers, something more advanced that sport/action photography. I would call it kids/cats.

The other nice category would be kids' sport. Ufff... all known techniques from adult sport photography are not enough. Kids sport is a pure chaos

Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 +3 more

10DeeQ wrote:

pawelmod wrote:

10DeeQ wrote:

Congrats!

thanks 😁

Unfortunately these are the limitations. But you can use many techniques to have good enough DOF, eg.:

- shorter focal length so you could use larger aperture of needed (e.g. for 35mm F4 on FF, when object is 2 meters from you DOS = 75cm, quite a lot. But 105mm DOF = only 8cm)
- use small apertures F5.6 -> F11 with speed lights

I quite often using DOF simulator - Camera depth of field calculator with visual background blur and bokeh simulation. to play with lenses and DOF.

Enjoy!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads