Syncing sound to footage in premier

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Indigo photography Junior Member • Posts: 37
Syncing sound to footage in premier

Good afternoon, I'm editing now my graduation film and I have the following question,

I started editing without syncing the sound to each clip, because I didn't have the sound files yet,

Now I have a first draft of the film with the camera sound on it, and is time to sync the good sound,

If a merge each video with its sound is going to create a new merget file, so in that case I have to start editing from scratch with the new merget videos,

The other option is to drag and drop to the time line the good quality sound and sync it with each footage used for the edit, so like that I don't have to start editing from scratch,

Any thoughts, what you recommend?

Thank you

Aineias

uncle dunc Senior Member • Posts: 1,156
Re: Syncing sound to footage in premier

Syncing by hand is really not that hard, but it can be time consuming. Here's a technique I use: Put a marker in the video track at a percussive moment - a spoken 'T' or 'D' or other sound that will show a spike in the audio waveform. Now find that same word in the audio file and put a marker in it. (The Add Marker command adds a marker in whatever is highlighted - could be a video track, or audio track, or if no tracks are highlighted, it would be the timeline.)

Now that you have markers in both the video track and the new audio track, simply drag them close together and they will snap into alignment. Then zoom in to the maximum to verify your alignment is good. You'd have to do this with every video clip.

If your completed edit doesn't jump back and forth in time, I wonder if it would be easier to import the original video and new audio into the project at the Track 1 position, align it with Premiere's "sync audio" command, and then redo the edit, referring to the edit in the track above the Track 1 position?

uncle dunc's gear list:uncle dunc's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 YI 4K Action Camera +13 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,605

The last version of Premiere I used was CS6, so there may well be a better way to do this.   But if I was in this position I think what I'd do is take my original video and the sound files and open them in a new project, then synch the sound to them and render the videos with the synched sound.

Then take these newly rendered videos and use them to replace the original video files in the folder where you imported them into your project (you can create backup copies of the originals before you do this if you want).

If you then open up your original project, Premiere should pick up the clips with the synched sound, although you may have to clear its caches to make sure it's not using its own copies of the original files.

uncle dunc Senior Member • Posts: 1,156

Sean to the rescue. I totally forgot about the "replace clips" feature in Premiere, even though I've used it. In Sean's scenario, the "replace clips" process wouldn't even be needed. The OP would want to render the clip with the new audio in a high resolution format like ProRes or the equivalent on a PC.

uncle dunc's gear list:uncle dunc's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 YI 4K Action Camera +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads