Canon 1D Mark II only takes 1MP Raw's

Started 2 months ago | Questions
rmpll New Member • Posts: 7
Canon 1D Mark II only takes 1MP Raw's

Hi, I recently aquired a 1D Mark II because it was up for 80€
after taking some Photos I saw that the JPEG's are 8MP in resolution but the Raw's are only 1MP. The Review's say it takes 8mp raw's so does anybody have an Idea how I could change it to 8 MP? I already looked through the Manual twice and could not find anything. Camera is set to record Raw+Jpeg L to the CF Card.

rmpll's gear list:rmpll's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS-1D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scott Larson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,959
Re: Canon 1D Mark II only takes 1MP Raw's

What resolution are the RAW files?

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +16 more
Leon Wittwer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,525

What do you mean my 1MP raw?  Is that the raw file size?  I used a 1DII years ago and do not remember "1MP raw's".  What are you using to open the raw files to view them?

-- hide signature --

I think the RAW files had a small JPEG "preview" image in them. Is the OP confusing that with the actual RAW image in the file?

Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +16 more
dmartin92
dmartin92 Senior Member • Posts: 2,291

Scott Larson wrote:

I think the RAW files had a small JPEG "preview" image in them. Is the OP confusing that with the actual RAW image in the file?

I would think that would be an excellent guess. I see this is the OP's first or second post. This may, perhaps, also be the start of their experience with RAW files, maybe.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 2,646

rmpll wrote:

Hi, I recently aquired a 1D Mark II because it was up for 80€

One of the first things to doing when getting a used camera.  Reset to factory specs and go from their.  How to is in the manual.

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5DS R
OP rmpll New Member • Posts: 7

I have looked through the Manual alot of Times even before getting the Camera, and there actually is no such thing as resetting the Settings. You can Reset Custom Functions and Personal Functions, but that is it.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II

Well then you are on the wrong foot, or my server is filled with endless Terrabytes of RAW-Files from somebody else
When I select the L Quality JPEGs in the I get 8.19 MP 3504 x 2336 .jpg files.
If I record one in raw the resolution drops down to 1.57 MP 1536 x 1024, and it is definetly not the preview, because I already wanted to edit the Files and was wondering why in Lightroom they were shown as 1 MP Pictures

Canon EOS-1D Mark II

1536 x 1024 in RAW .CR2 and 3504 x 2336 in .JPG

Canon EOS-1D Mark II

When capturing the images and having the Image Quality set to Raw or Raw + L I only get RAW's with a resolution of 1536 x 1024 .
I use FastStone Imageviewer. I never had such a thing with my 6D or 250d

Canon EOS-1D Mark II
I (somehow) fixed it

I'll just reply to the base thread so I dont have to copy+paste the answer.
I think my Photoshop had some kind of a problem, I just patched it so I am on the latest Update and now the raw's are in Full Resolution while I edit them. So I guess the problem wasn't the camera.
But thank you guys for the potential help

Canon EOS-1D Mark II

I bet it was having trouble recognizing the RAW data and fell back on the small JPEG preview image that's built into the RAW files. Sometimes software is too helpful.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads