G9, once shutter released photos appear darker

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Cevennes Junior Member • Posts: 35
G9, once shutter released photos appear darker

Hi,

it's been a while since i used my G9, i shooted the last months with e-m1 and A7iii.

Today i took my G9 for a walk and after several checks to the settings i found that photos appeared darker in the EVF, LC and PC screen than when i focused before taking shots.

is there something i missed, live preview is on. Also played with front button that let see the result with speed effect.

No such behavior with my other hybrids.

Thanks for your help.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jonno35 Contributing Member • Posts: 798
Re: G9, once shutter released photos appear darker

If you are underexposing ,the G9 will brighten the image to allow you to focus and see the image properly Very useful in M mode when I want to underexpose when using flash so the flash will light the subject. I dont know if this feature can be turned off but I wouldn't want to. So I think you must be under exposing, check your settings.

-- hide signature --

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

jonno35's gear list:jonno35's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II +3 more
Origami 101 New Member • Posts: 18

The G9 can open the aperture when the shutter or AF button is held, giving a brighter preview, and only stops down to the shooting aperture to capture the frame. See here under stumbling points: https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-g9/7

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,413
  • Have you adjust the setting of evf/LCD, e.g. brightness?
  • Did you mean Live View simulated image, or the image under Preview mode?
  • Any chance the Exposure Compensation would be > +/-3ev?
  • What is your Constant Preview setting in Menu?
  • What is your shooting mode? The simulated image under P/S/A is different from that of M under different setting of Constant Preview...

The sort of discrepancy between the simulated image in Live View vs output could be big in the older models but for newer models, I find the difference is getting smaller.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
OP Cevennes Junior Member • Posts: 35

Thank you both, gonna check setting this afternoon

alcelc wrote:

• What is your shooting mode? The simulated image under P/S/A is different from that of M under different setting of Constant Preview...

The sort of discrepancy between the simulated image in Live View vs output could be big in the older models but for newer models, I find the difference is getting smaller.

I changed the brigtness but it's due to live preview i guess.

Exposure -1ev, mode M, constant preview on.

I use the 60mm oly and 12-60 leica, same behavior.

A friend who also own a G9 and a Z6 was also surprised of the difference between the preview and final photo.

Processing raws it's not a problem.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,413

Cevennes wrote:

alcelc wrote:

I changed the brigtness but it's due to live preview i guess.

This might be the culprit.

Live View might be limited to more constraint, the lens will keep wide open such that effect of aperture indeed is a guess work.

In your setting you use Preview, the lens will stop down physically during the operation so the data on sensor used to simulate an image should be more accurate than the usual LV.

However, the simulated image would be created upon the jpg setting and exposure value in used (related to the parameters used) only. Any adjustment on evf/LCD is not counted. Therefore, says if an image would be captured using an exposure value of XXev, when a simulated image was so created, but if the brightness of evf been increased 1ev from default, you will see the image in evf has a brightness of XX + 1ev... Naturally you will get a darker (different) output from what you saw before the shooting.

Hence I always suggest LV shooter not to mess with the default setting of evf/LCD since it might produce a misleading visual guide for exposure setting.

Exposure -1ev, mode M, constant preview on.

I use the 60mm oly and 12-60 leica, same behavior.

A friend who also own a G9 and a Z6 was also surprised of the difference between the preview and final photo.

Processing raws it's not a problem.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more

thank you for your anwer. I finally was able to correct the setting but i read several other posts about that "problem". This afternoon i shooted with my e-m1 iii the evf don't under/overexpose preview. In brightlight no difference, with G9 it can be unpleasant.

jonno35 Contributing Member • Posts: 798

Cevennes wrote:

thank you for your anwer. I finally was able to correct the setting but i read several other posts about that "problem". This afternoon i shooted with my e-m1 iii the evf don't under/overexpose preview. In brightlight no difference, with G9 it can be unpleasant.

It's strange how one person finds a feature annoying and another such as myself finds it an asset. It shows how difficult it is for manufacturers to please everyone.

-- hide signature --

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

jonno35's gear list:jonno35's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads