XT-3 v XT-4 v X-S10 with 70-300mm lens for air-shows and nature image capture

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jwBobby458 Regular Member • Posts: 395
XT-3 v XT-4 v X-S10 with 70-300mm lens for air-shows and nature image capture

Hi there, if I owned the Fujifilm 70-300 mm F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens which body would be best suited for taking images at air-shows along with wildlife including birds in flight and macro pictures of dragonflies and butterflies? In an ideal world I would prefer the 100-400 lens but at almost twice the cost.... Some reviewers have commented the XT-4 would not be the best when compared with the XT-3. Others have commented the Fujifilm AF is not the best, and needs tweaking. Thought and impressions much appreciated. Thanks for reading. John

Latvus Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: XT-3 v XT-4 v X-S10 with 70-300mm lens for air-shows and nature image capture

All of the bodies all plenty good for the job. All of them have suitable AF for the job.

Latvus's gear list:Latvus's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more
Strangefinder
Strangefinder Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: XT-3 v XT-4 v X-S10 with 70-300mm lens for air-shows and nature image capture

jwBobby458 wrote:

Hi there, if I owned the Fujifilm 70-300 mm F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens which body would be best suited for taking images at air-shows along with wildlife including birds in flight and macro pictures of dragonflies and butterflies? In an ideal world I would prefer the 100-400 lens but at almost twice the cost.... Some reviewers have commented the XT-4 would not be the best when compared with the XT-3. Others have commented the Fujifilm AF is not the best, and needs tweaking. Thought and impressions much appreciated. Thanks for reading. John

They are all 4th-gen X-Trans with the same base capabilities, however, the X-T4 has more durability and memory etc (i.e. 300,000 actuation shutter, larger buffer). There’s a good comparison between the X-Ts 3 and 4 here:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/fuji-xt3-vs-xt4/#shutter

"With the X-T4, I found Wide Tracking has received the first real boost in performance and reliability. In fact, the camera’s overall ability to understand what and where the subject is has improved."

This site has a few related articles, including one about some advantages provided by the X-Pro line for BIF, so you may wish to consider the X-Pro3, as well:

https://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/03/30/fuji-x-pro2-ovf-birds-in-flight/

"How to make the OVF usable for birds in flight

There are two main reasons you’ll want to try the OVF of the X-Pro2 for birds in flight. They are the same reasons that would lead you to try a red dot sight:

• You get a “real world” view of the scene without any lag, blackouts or slower frame rates in continuous shooting mode since the OVF is independent of the sensor/lens
  • You get a larger view of the scene which helps you understand what’s going on around your subject and where your bird is going.

Let’s have a look at the settings I used for birds in flight…"

The X-T4 (and possibly the X-Pro3) has advantages, but they may not justify the extra cost. These two articles from the same site have good details on settings for the X-T3 and/or X-T4: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/stories/fuji-xt4-birds-in-flight-test/ & https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/mirrorless-cameras-for-birds-in-flight/

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,442

Even fast aircraft are not that fast compared to birds when scale is considered. Even my ancient Nikon D200 + Mechanical 80-400 VR with it's famous slow focus had no trouble keeping up.

You need to be more specific regarding wildlife for us to answer.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more
DogShot Contributing Member • Posts: 635

I'm really enjoying the 70-300mm with the X-T4. I got the X-T4 partly because I wanted to start using video along with my image capture. I'm no movie-maker, but capturing moments like bird calls, feeding their mates, and other interesting activity, as well slo-mo sports moments is a lot of fun.

The X-T4 is great for this. With its IBIS and the ability to switch between photo/video without taking an eye off the EVF, video is instantly accessible. I have even put different frame rates in the Q-menu, so I can switch between real-time, 2x, 4x, 5x, and 10x slo-mo without taking my eye off the subject. Fast moving sports like tennis are great at 10x, and birds are gorgeous at between 2x and 5x slo-mo.

I'm still learning, and figuring out the best way to combine photo and video in a presentation format. It adds a whole new dimension to my photography and I'm really enjoying it. The 70-300mm and the X-T4 are a great pairing for both photo and video.

The video William Chua did for the 70-300mm lens provides inspiration for what I am going for with my bird/nature photography:

William Chua Fuji 70-300mm lens

maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,158

I used an xe3 and the 50-230 to shoot at an airshow once and got some nice photos from it. The camera body and AF wasnt the main issue. (although certainly not ideal, i could live with it) The main issue was that i didnt have nearly enough reach..

If you want the best results get 400mm imo, any 24=26mp body will do but the xs10 has a nice grip and some useful memory modes for action so maybe that body and its not so expensive as xt4.

vcxz Regular Member • Posts: 174

The XT4 has a bigger battery. You might also want a grip with the XT3 to compensate. No grip available for the XS10. One nice thing about the XT4 grip is you can charge all three batteries via USB C.

Reviewers might have preferred the XT3 because it was on sale for $1k but now it's almost the same price as the XT4. But we can't really comment on that intelligently without more specifics.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @vcxz_photos

vcxz's gear list:vcxz's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon Z5 +22 more
Strangefinder

maltmoose wrote:

I used an xe3 and the 50-230 to shoot at an airshow once and got some nice photos from it. The camera body and AF wasnt the main issue. (although certainly not ideal, i could live with it) The main issue was that i didnt have nearly enough reach..

If you want the best results get 400mm imo, any 24=26mp body will do but the xs10 has a nice grip and some useful memory modes for action so maybe that body and its not so expensive as xt4.

The teleconverters work with the XF70-300mm, too, so the reach is outstanding for the weight (especially with Sportsfinder mode.)

That XC50-230mm is a super-bargain.

-- hide signature --

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.” Gandhi

Strangefinder wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

The teleconverters work with the XF70-300mm, too, so the reach is outstanding for the weight (especially with Sportsfinder mode.)

Yep, its a suspiring lens but has its limitations. I'm thinking of getting the 70-300 but not sure if i should just get a 400 and keep the 50-230 hmmm

Nothing ive seen has convinced me the x2 TC is good enough combined with this lens. maybe the x1.4 TC

Morris0

maltmoose wrote:

Most of my aviation photos are taken in the 250mm to 300mm range with about 1/4 300 to 400mm. You need to ware ear plugs where I stand. This one is at 310mm

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Most of my aviation photos are taken in the 250mm to 300mm range with about 1/4 300 to 400mm. You need to ware ear plugs where I stand. This one is at 310mm

Morris

lol

i've never seen one of them at an air show. Could you find something bigger next time.

Nice shot though, im going to an air show in the uk in September and with all the saftey stuff longer is better. i missed 100s opportunities as just no point as too far away.

Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,791

jwBobby458 wrote:

The CAF of not just the xt3, XT4, but even the Xt2 is absolutely fine for the air show. In 2019 I had the Xt2 and 50-230 and it worked great

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63140886

So I absolutely sure that now my xt3 with the 70-300 will do even better. 
Regarding the 70-300 vs the 100-400, I wouldn’t worry that much as planes are passing multiple times over the airport and in the end you don’t so much focal length.

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 389
XS10 unless you're shooting in the rain

jwBobby458 wrote:

Great camera with great IBIS which stabilize the Zooms even more.

Also the cheapest with the best grip. AF is good enough!

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home
@sufstreet
@xftales

Morris0

maltmoose wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris

lol

i've never seen one of them at an air show. Could you find something bigger next time.

Nice shot though, im going to an air show in the uk in September and with all the saftey stuff longer is better. i missed 100s opportunities as just no point as too far away.

It made it's own show. This is more like what you are thinking about. This time 250mm

Morris

Strangefinder

Yannis1976 wrote:

jwBobby458 wrote:

The CAF of not just the xt3, XT4, but even the Xt2 is absolutely fine for the air show. In 2019 I had the Xt2 and 50-230 and it worked great

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63140886

So I absolutely sure that now my xt3 with the 70-300 will do even better.
Regarding the 70-300 vs the 100-400, I wouldn’t worry that much as planes are passing multiple times over the airport and in the end you don’t so much focal length.

Yeah, an X-T20 would be the strategic choice.  Then get the X-H2 next year, and perhaps the XF70-300 with tc14 when rebate season is on.

-- hide signature --

Strangefinder

maltmoose wrote:

Strangefinder wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Yep, its a suspiring lens but has its limitations. I'm thinking of getting the 70-300 but not sure if i should just get a 400 and keep the 50-230 hmmm

Nothing ive seen has convinced me the x2 TC is good enough combined with this lens. maybe the x1.4 TC

Yeah, very few zooms seem to gain from x2 rather than cropping.

The other use for the XC50-230 is for when the terrain or situation may be tenuous, yet reach is important - losing an XC rather than an XF or red badge is not so bad.

-- hide signature --

Strangefinder

Morris0 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Morris

Thanks for sharing your great images and useful notes

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads