An intensive photo sessions period with my Z7I and Z50 (Nikkor&Viltrox)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 584
An intensive photo sessions period with my Z7I and Z50 (Nikkor&Viltrox)

Last two weeks I was doing some photo sessions with TFP models. Different light conditions, studio light, natural light, indoors, outdoors. I was trying different lenses (zooms and primes) and some Quadralite (Godox) flashlights.

Generally, my feedback is that I forgot about any camera drawbacks or limiters. I did not have any reasons to complain and I could focus simply on my contact with models and composition. Keepers ratio is as high as for sure about 95% due to technical failures (a bit more due to bad poses or composition).

I will hardly agree with anyone (except BIF and very dynamic sports passionates) that their IQ and results are limited by Nikon Z system. It is an amazing system that gives a photographer lots of freedom, ergonomy, and exceptional results. AF works just great and shallow DoF makes miracles regarding sharpness. I just miss trying 50mm f/1.2 which I am going to rent next time.

Photos are postprocessed from RAWs with Capture One 21 and some with Luminar AI.

Please C&C regarding pictures and postprocessing:

-- hide signature --

Our craft over our glass over camera bodies

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sony Influencer Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: An intensive photo sessions period with my Z7I and Z50 (Nikkor&Viltrox)

Photo 1:

Talking about posing I would have left a gap between the dress and her left arm. While one can see that the model is working with her legs, I feel like a more curvy pose would help. I also don't really like the spot or camera angle, I think you did a better job by choosing a different angle on photo 7. The hair on the left side looks a bit messy.

Photo 2:

It's okay. I like the stairs. I probably would have chosen a different pose, made her sit, knees poiting to the right, feet pointing to the left.

Photo 3:

Looks good. Her hair looks a bit wild. Maybe some editing on her cheek,

Photo 4:

Looks beautiful, hair looks great. Remove the black thing in the bottom left corner. I would do some editing on the knee and the reddish fingers and the arm.

Photo 5:

Interesting. I like the hair. I would probably choose to get closer and crop a lot to the left and to the right. Some shots with the hand pose, some without. But everything without the jacket.

Photo 6:

Looks good, but I enjoyed the warmer tone of photo 4 more. Some editing on her skin. I don't know how to say it in English but I would flip some of her hair back from the right to the left.

Photo 7:

Looks good.

Photo 8:

It's okay but I don't really like the posing and camera angle.

Photo 9:

Looks good. Some editing on her skin.

Photo 10:

Flat hand on head = headache pose. But I like the colors. Skin, shirt, background, it works really well.

Photo 11:

Well, yes, midday sun is difficult. I don't like the harsh shadows in her face. Hands are red and I can count two boogers in her nose. I would have chosen a bigger light source / reflector. I don't like the dark thing in the bottom right.

Photo 12:

Interesting view lol. I like the pose and it works with the UWA. Maybe try the same pose at a different spot like stairs or somewhere with a less busy background, something more clean. Yes, 66% of the background here is just the blue sky but the other 33% add nothing to the photo.

Sony Influencer's gear list:Sony Influencer's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a7R III Canon EOS R Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM +14 more
Qbalion
OP Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 584

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Yes, I uploaded some of the photos without or with very little post - lack of work on the blond model face is the example. I wanted to show different apertures including f/1.8 My teacher repeats to me - never publish anything rough - always finished work :-$

Those were my first sessions with models after my level I photography course. Lot's of practice and learning while not having my teacher aside Some of your observations are obvious to me but others are details I do not simply embrace yet.

The nice feeling was I balanced my tech gear fascinations with actually taking photos - lol!

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,514

Thanks for sharing.  Not easy to put oneself out there like that.

I like #4.  Good balance of object space to environmental space.  Interesting model.  Great play of light.  Light is our language in photography.  Just as in writing, it doesn't have to always make logical sense: the sound of the words will create their own logic.  That's what the light does there and adds, as opposed to subtracting.  A+

KR Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,142

These all look really good. I personally have been amazed by the eye-af capabilities. It means the time and effort I used to spend moving the focus point to a subject's eye are now gone, and it's time I can now spend interacting and composing in a broader sense. I really like it.

KR Photo's gear list:KR Photo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +2 more
wcan Regular Member • Posts: 243

Nice shots! What focusing mode(s) did you use? care to comment on how eye AF worked or didn't work for you?

Qbalion

wcan wrote:

Nice shots! What focusing mode(s) did you use? care to comment on how eye AF worked or didn't work for you?

I used AF-C (those models move pretty a lot) and AF area auto with the eye AF enabled. It worked very well!

-- hide signature --

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,411

Look good to me. The black and whites are my favorites.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
Qbalion

Thank you and same here!

-- hide signature --

Qbalion

Thanks a lot to all for your feedback!

-- hide signature --

Our craft over our lenses over the camera bodies

Qbalion

Sony Influencer wrote:

Photo 4:

Looks beautiful, hair looks great. Remove the black thing in the bottom left corner. I would do some editing on the knee and the reddish fingers and the arm.

I edited a bit no 4. What do you suggest to do with the knee and the fingers?

-- hide signature --

Our craft over our lenses over the camera bodies

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads