Full day video stream / webinar

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
tonyreidsma Senior Member • Posts: 1,302
Full day video stream / webinar

I posted this topic a while back, but that was not focused on the camera itself, so here's my new question.

• My client is going to do a full day webinar style meeting from 8am - 5pm.
  • I will be using GoToWebinar.com 

Question: What camera should I use for this so it won't overheat, and will run continuously for the whole duration of the event?

I'm planning on buying a camera for this.

My current gear is the Fuji XT4 which I've used for short video meetings, but I do not trust it for this type of project.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Tony

tonyreidsma's gear list:tonyreidsma's gear list
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,446
Re: Full day video stream / webinar

If this is a one time thing, why not rent a camera and incorporate the rental cost into your fee?

Do you already have a capture card to get the signal into a computer?

It would be nice to run the camera and a spare laptop into a switch, that way you have the option to crossfade transition to a break slide or other PowerPoint presentation.

A prosumer or pro camcorder is probably best for this application, and I imagine that 1080P would be sufficient, as GoToWebinar probably operates at 720P.

OP tonyreidsma Senior Member • Posts: 1,302

Andrew S10 wrote:

If this is a one time thing, why not rent a camera and incorporate the rental cost into your fee?

I would rather own the camera simply because I’d like to spend time using it and be very comfortable with all the settings and such. I can always sell it.

Do you already have a capture card to get the signal into a computer?

I would run it through a MacBook Pro.

It would be nice to run the camera and a spare laptop into a switch, that way you have the option to crossfade transition to a break slide or other PowerPoint presentation.

same as above. Would run through the MacBook Pro

A prosumer or pro camcorder is probably best for this application, and I imagine that 1080P would be sufficient, as GoToWebinar probably operates at 720P.

They told me the would capture at 1080p

Would a Black Magic Pocket Cinema or GH5S work?

Thanks Andrew!

Explain how you're running the camera's video feed into a MBP. I've never seen a laptop with an HDMI input, only HDMI outputs, so you would need an HDMI to USB capture device like an AJA U-Tap; unless you were planning to use the camera's USB output to get video signal into your MBP, in which case you probably wouldn't get the full resolution or frame rate of whatever video mode you selected.

Any camera that outputs a clean 1080P feed over HDMI or SDI and doesn't overheat will work for your task, so you might want to consider other features that will make the shoot go easier.

If the presenter is walking around on a stage, you might want to get a camera that has good constant AF in video mode.

If the facility has dim lighting, and for some reason you can't set up lights, you might want to get a camera that performs well in low light.

There are all sorts of things to consider, and describing the project in detail will help us make recommendations.

Please list your budget, as I don't know whether to recommend something in the $500 rand or $10,000 range.

@AndrewS10 - I really appreciate your feedback. Below is a detailed outline of the project:

• Full day webinar with 6-8 speakers
  • Speakers will be sitting so no need for AF
  • Webinar will be done using Gotowebinar.com
  • Gotowebinar says they will save a 1080p file for me to download
  • Audio will be done by tapping into the venue's audio system and into the camera

Unknowns

• Don't know what camera to use for this long of a shoot
  • Don't know how to feed 1080p into computer to feed to gotowebinar

Budget for a camera $2,500 - $5,000

I doubt that your XT4 would overheat if it was just in liveview mode and you weren't recording, but there might be a liveview timeout feature, so it would be best to run some tests.

With that said, I think that a prosumer camcorder would be better for this application, as they have a servo zoom lens, good constant AF, XLR audio inputs, SDI outputs, and HDMI output.

I do livestream events at work with On24, Webex, and Teams, with a setup and equipment that's a bit different than what you would need, as corporations have a more sophisticated and expensive setups than are warranted for freelancers, but the principles are the same.

At work I use an AJA U-Tap to get external video signal into a laptop, and sometimes connect the U-Tap's input to a video switcher's output, which allows me to connect two laptops to the switcher over HDMI, one dedicate to the main PowerPoint presentation, and the other to play prerecorded videos to be injected into the stream. It's preferable to connect the camera to the video switcher through SDI, as it is a sturdier connection and supports longer runs than HDMI.

Some services, like On24, allow you to upload your Power Point and video files, but depending on the number of videos, you might run into file size limits.

The output from the soundboard will be XLR or 1/4" at line level, a prosumer camcorder should have a switch or setting to accommodate line level, but your XT4 would need a Stereo XLR Line Isolator to drop the amplitude down to mic level .

When I purchase a camera, I consider which one is the most versatile within my budget range, and go with that, as I can always rent a camera for a project that warrants something different.

AZMario Regular Member • Posts: 220

Any of the camcorders from Sony, Canon, and Panasonic at your price point will do the job. I use the sony nx80 and z90. I have run both up to 12 hours. I have run an older Panasonic xc1000 up to 8 hours. No issues. You can go into one of the online retailers sites. Set your price point to $2000 minimum and compare features. If you are lucky enough to have a local shop it's always nice to handle the camera. I would not buy anything smaller than a 1" sensor with xlr inputs. I have found sdi to be invaluable at some events. It comes in handy when you end up running a 100' sdi cable to get to a switcher that is 10' away to avoid walkways. Solid auto focus may not be important for this event but once you own the camera you may have more opportunities where it might be handy.

For hdmi out to the computer AndrewS10 uses the aja u-tap which is a solid  piece of gear. I use an ATEM mini pro which has also worked flawlessly for long events.

AZMario's gear list:AZMario's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more

Thx again for all your help. Here's what I ended up with:

• Fuji XT4
  • Tap into the audio system at the venue
  • ATEM Mini Pro switcher
  • External HD plugged into the ATEM to save a full recording of the event
  • MacBook Air 
  • Go To Webinar for the streaming service
  • iPad with slides and looping video during lunch plugged into ATEM
  • Presenters will use same computer plugged into the ATEM

I have learned so much during this process and appreciate all the help.

Tony

AZMario Regular Member • Posts: 220

The Atem also has a media pool that will store up to 20 files. I use it to add lower thirds, overlay's, logo's etc. If you have a need for any those it works very well. I just create png's 1920x1080 that are transparent except for the portion I wish to display. You can bring them in and out as needed using the atem control software.

AZMario's gear list:AZMario's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more

Just in case anyone is actually following this, or interested.... another update:

All changes in bold

• Fuji XT4
  • Tap into the audio system at the venue
  • Audio to ZOOM H6 then to switcher 
  • ATEM Mini Extreme switcher (two USB C outputs)
  • External HD plugged into the ATEM to save a full recording of the event
  • MacBook Air
  • ZOOM for the streaming service
  • iPad with slides and looping video during lunch plugged into ATEM
  • Presenters will use same computer plugged into the ATEM

I have learned so much during this process and appreciate all the help.

Tony

Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106

tonyreidsma wrote:

I posted this topic a while back, but that was not focused on the camera itself, so here's my new question.

Question: What camera should I use for this so it won't overheat, and will run continuously for the whole duration of the event?

My current gear is the Fuji XT4 which I've used for short video meetings, but I do not trust it for this type of project.

Tony

You are also gonna need...

Zip ties

Gaffers tape

Bandaids

Aspirin

Fluids

Snacks

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more

Off The Mark wrote:

tonyreidsma wrote:

Tony

You are also gonna need...

Zip ties

Gaffers tape

Bandaids

Aspirin

Fluids

Snacks

HAHA

And Whiskey.