quality video=

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Notenkraker New Member • Posts: 3
quality video=

My pentax k3ii is worthless for video. How is the mark iii.

Notenkraker's gear list:Notenkraker's gear list
Sony RX100 III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MarBa Contributing Member • Posts: 809
Re: quality video=

Notenkraker wrote:

Wait for Dpreview to test it. I suspect that if you want nice 4K, you should look elsewhere.

There is crop and time limit in 4K. Question is, does it skip lines or oversamples? How bad is rolling shutter?

So far I have not seen any comparison with a modern APS-C camera.

MarBa's gear list:MarBa's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,593

MarBa wrote:

Notenkraker wrote:

Wait for Dpreview to test it. I suspect that if you want nice 4K, you should look elsewhere.

There is crop and time limit in 4K. Question is, does it skip lines or oversamples? How bad is rolling shutter?

So far I have not seen any comparison with a modern APS-C camera.

I am not an expert on video. 4k will always be a downsample or a crop of the original sensor content, as the sensor has much higher resolution. I ask myself if the crop solution is much worse if your lens otuperforms the sensor - and having great Pentax lenses it should be no problem. Of course, you have that extra crop factor - and you would need a very good wide angle lens to get at least the view of a normal focal length magnification. However, you crop in the middle and get the best crop of any lens this way.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
viska Contributing Member • Posts: 568

Mk3 is a good stills camera.

viska's gear list:viska's gear list
Pentax K-3 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS RP
JeremieB Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

Notenkraker wrote:

Depends on your needs, it has nothing particular (no 10 bits, no 4k/60fps) but IQ is much improved compared to previous models.

I'd say 4k (or 4k scaled down to 1080) is usable, 1080 is too soft (though probably a bit better than 1080 in previous models, but I'm not sure of this).

Some short samples :

1080p: https://youtu.be/5CbWbxIpj3A

4k: https://youtu.be/o5zZEJYvDp8

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +6 more
kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,363

The video on Micro four thirds are better. I.E. a cheap oly or panasonic will be a better choice if you are shooting 4K

-- hide signature --

kriztian

flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,139

kriztian wrote:

The video on Micro four thirds are better. I.E. a cheap oly or panasonic will be a better choice if you are shooting 4K

or Nikon Z50, or Canon D90, or Fuji X-T3, or Sony A6100, or ...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

JeremieB Senior Member • Posts: 1,033

flektogon wrote:

kriztian wrote:

I think you get it the wrong way, if I may.

Nobody chooses Pentax for video. And probably nearly no one would choose a dSLR for video nowadays, you loose the OVF advantage anyway.

But if you're already with Pentax, and you have (not too demanding) needs for video, then K3III is a better choice than, say, K70, and probably most or all others.

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +6 more
madbrain
madbrain Regular Member • Posts: 186

JeremieB wrote:

flektogon wrote:

kriztian wrote:

I think you get it the wrong way, if I may.

Nobody chooses Pentax for video. And probably nearly no one would choose a dSLR for video nowadays, you loose the OVF advantage anyway.

But if you're already with Pentax, and you have (not too demanding) needs for video, then K3III is a better choice than, say, K70, and probably most or all others.

K-70 has a full flip screen, which is really useful for video, something the K3 III lacks. I haven't used either, though.  But some will prefer it for that.  Of course, no 4K on it.

madbrain's gear list:madbrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +9 more
viska Contributing Member • Posts: 568

There will be the video centric body(lets hope).It has been hinted by an insider.4K included.

Same sensor and processor as K3mk3 but single card slot, flip round screen(that could be same resolution)not as well sealed and cheaper of course.

Will it be a K90 or a KPmk2?

viska's gear list:viska's gear list
Pentax K-3 Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS RP
kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,363

That would be really really nice. But then again, why did they not throw it into the K3 lll from start? Would it be possible to fix the video in K3 lll with software upgrade?

-- hide signature --

kriztian

kriztian wrote:

That would be really really nice. But then again, why did they not throw it into the K3 lll from start? Would it be possible to fix the video in K3 lll with software upgrade?

Unlikely to be fixed by a firmware update, I think.

To process 4K video, a fast processor is needed. I think Pentax will need to develop this first. Maybe the current chip shortages contribute to the problem?

There is more about the camera that would benefit from faster more powerful electronics ... so I think we may see something like K-3 IIIs at some point, maybe?

For sure, if Pentax wants to bring higher resolution sensor to K-1 III, it will need faster processor, more memory etc. So I think that this is the next big development step for the company. Upgrade the electronics.

Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
madbrain

MarBa wrote:

kriztian wrote:

Unlikely to be fixed by a firmware update, I think.

To process 4K video, a fast processor is needed. I think Pentax will need to develop this first. Maybe the current chip shortages contribute to the problem?

There is more about the camera that would benefit from faster more powerful electronics ... so I think we may see something like K-3 IIIs at some point, maybe?

For sure, if Pentax wants to bring higher resolution sensor to K-1 III, it will need faster processor, more memory etc. So I think that this is the next big development step for the company. Upgrade the electronics.

Agree, not likely they could fix the crop in a firmware update.

The 4GB limit on the other hand is something I think they could fix. Whether they do is another story. With the combination of the crop and 4GB / 7.5 minute limit, 4K on the K3-III doesn't seem very compelling.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +9 more
iso rivolta Contributing Member • Posts: 846

kriztian wrote:

That would be really really nice. But then again, why did they not throw it into the K3 lll from start?

And even introducing a new prominent, dedicated dial for switching between OVF, LV and Video. Unfortunate emphasis if video quality is poor.

iso rivolta's gear list:iso rivolta's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax KP +3 more

iso rivolta wrote:

kriztian wrote:

That would be really really nice. But then again, why did they not throw it into the K3 lll from start?

And even introducing a new prominent, dedicated dial for switching between OVF, LV and Video. Unfortunate emphasis if video quality is poor.

Video options are great from the Pentax's perspective! ... but yes there is a long way to what is now standard in other systems. Once they improve electronics they'll be able to address this. For Pentax, the video was always an afterthought. Most people here would simply dismiss it as .. hey buy something else, Pentax is not for video .. I think it is a pity, I would like to use the lenses that I have for video. I had to buy a6300 to solve my needs. I eventually spent about $2500 on Sony camera and two lenses. This money could have been spent on Pentax lens, new body etc (this was a direct loss to Pentax). .. plus .. it got me constantly thinking about switching to mirrorless. Fortunately a6300 EVF is crap, so I always decided to stay with Pentax.

Therefore, I actually believe that good video is necessary to keep people in the system in the long run because once you start investing in another system (to get decent video), you may as well leave Pentax completely. I'm not doing that .. I like Pentax, the lenses I have. Who knows, maybe "K-90" will have great 4K/60, no crop, no time/size limit?

madbrain

MarBa wrote:

iso rivolta wrote:

kriztian wrote:

Video options are great from the Pentax's perspective! ... but yes there is a long way to what is now standard in other systems. Once they improve electronics they'll be able to address this. For Pentax, the video was always an afterthought. Most people here would simply dismiss it as .. hey buy something else, Pentax is not for video .. I think it is a pity, I would like to use the lenses that I have for video. I had to buy a6300 to solve my needs. I eventually spent about $2500 on Sony camera and two lenses. This money could have been spent on Pentax lens, new body etc (this was a direct loss to Pentax). .. plus .. it got me constantly thinking about switching to mirrorless. Fortunately a6300 EVF is crap, so I always decided to stay with Pentax.

Therefore, I actually believe that good video is necessary to keep people in the system in the long run because once you start investing in another system (to get decent video), you may as well leave Pentax completely. I'm not doing that .. I like Pentax, the lenses I have. Who knows, maybe "K-90" will have great 4K/60, no crop, no time/size limit?

I spent only $500 on my Lumix GX85 with 2 lenses. Use it exclusively for video. Does 4k30 at 100 mbps with no recording time limit. No plan to buy any other m43 lenses. Low light photos just aren't that good on m43. But video is.

That K-90 sounds great. Would rather buy a K1 III with those features, though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads