Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 2,724
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Funny Valentine wrote:

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down.

More likely the other way around. Or do you not understand that Apple is not a freely open ecosystem?

It's up to the camera manufacturer to provide Apple with their RAW support protocol, and Apple will gladly include them

There is almost something comical about the idea of Apple of all institutions 'gladly' providing service for a non Apple manufacturer. Where did you dig this concept up from.

via firmware update. Sony, Canon, Fuji all seem to be doing it regularly. Olympus also used to do it prior to 2019, as all Olympus models older than the em1.X are supported on Mac and IOS.

So the one to blame here is Olympus, not Apple. We're talking about support for cameras released in 2019, more than a year before the JIP transfer (em5-3 and em1-3). The situation becomes even more absurd when you realise the em5-3 and em1-3 use the same sensor/processors as the em1-2 and em1-X, which are supported on Mac. So providing the RAW support to Apple was an easy task.

In retrospect, that's a good indicator of the level of mayhem and chaos that must have been reigning at Olympus imaging division. End of 2019 and early 2020 coincides with the first rumors popping about Olympus exiting the camera business.

Mayhem and chaos 'must' have been! You have an obvious agenda in your postings.

Why are you so bothered about this? Buy a PC.

These corporate re-organisations all take time and hyperbole from outsiders going off at half cock and not having any more of a clue than the rest of us as to what is going on is just part of the process.

The real fun will be if Sony do a Samsung and walk.

Arguing about the fine details of the overall collapse of the ailing camera industry is not going to alter things or make any difference and it all focuses on m43 at the moment which is a minor player.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-A3 Fujifilm X-T20 +8 more
Grimstod Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Anyone here heard of DNG ?

Adrian Harris wrote:

Surely a Mac can convert and open a DNG file?

They can. I have no problem looking at Em 1.3 files with Adobe products and Olympus Workspace.

Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 2,724

Funny Valentine wrote:

BobT3218 wrote:

I read somewhere that Samsung was in talks with "Olympus" presumably OMDS about possibly branding their phone camera lenses a Olympus. I have a nasty feeling in my bones that this might be the "Wow" thing promised later in the year. I sure hope not. Heaven forbid that they brand phone camera lenses as Zuiko.

I too have the feeling that the WoW camera will be the Samsung Galaxy S22 smartphone.

I think Samsung is in talk with Olympus corporation and not OMDS, because OMDS only has the temporary rights to use the "olympus" brand name.

I think you are in a mood to lap up any doom and gloom on OMDS.

I will just wait and see what happens as all this gossip really serves no purpose.

This is a gear site and when it comes down to it gear comprises just what you can buy in the shops now or have bought in the past.

The Olympus brand belongs to the Olympus corporation and not OMDS.

But yeah I can't imagine a WOW camera with a sensor from 2016.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-A3 Fujifilm X-T20 +8 more
jimrand Forum Member • Posts: 64

FYI. ORF files don't open on my Windows 10 computer either. With the EM1-iii, ORFs go to card 1; JPGs, card 2. That way, I have the option of viewing the files without processing on either the Windows 10 computer or the 2013 MacBook Pro laptop. Simple.

jimrand's gear list:jimrand's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +2 more
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,799
Re: Anyone here heard of DNG ?

Adrian Harris wrote:

Surely a Mac can convert and open a DNG file?

To be fair it is an extra step in the process. A minor inconvenience, unless you are doing professional work where time is money.

acfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,172
Why I believe Olympus/OMDS

jimrand wrote:

FYI. ORF files don't open on my Windows 10 computer either. With the EM1-iii, ORFs go to card 1; JPGs, card 2. That way, I have the option of viewing the files without processing on either the Windows 10 computer or the 2013 MacBook Pro laptop. Simple.

Have you tried the Raw Image Extension from Microsoft? The em1.3 is supported by LibRaw which is used by the extension so it may work.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
jimrand Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS

No, I haven't tried raw image.  As soon as Capture One supports the M1 chip, I'm getting a loaded iMac 24. Windows 10 suffers from YAU - yet another update. Takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour for the computer to become useable each day.

In the final days of Windows XP, an update could take up to 2 days. Steve Ballmer confirmed that one, promised it would be fixed, never did.

My Windows 7 computer finally died from YAU.  Windows 10 is also showing signs.

[Name of application] is not responding. No kidding.

Appreciate the suggestion, however.

jimrand's gear list:jimrand's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +2 more
Revenant Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: Let's see

So, first the absent Olympus/OMDS support is evidence of the company being practically "dead", and when it appears that some Panasonic cameras aren't supported, either, then that company has also "given up"? Other raw developers do support the cameras in question, don't they? If so, doesn't that lend support to the argument that the problem lies with Apple? After all, if Olympus and Panasonic didn't care anymore, why bother cooperating with any software maker?

You're just spreading FUD here, it's that simple.

acfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,172
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS

jimrand wrote:

No, I haven't tried raw image.

I've always wondered why the Raw Image Extension is not part of the standard Windows installation package. Instead I get less useful stuff like MS Office trail versions preinstalled.

As soon as Capture One supports the M1 chip, I'm getting a loaded iMac 24.

That M1 sounds like a fun machine. I'm staying with the mainstream because my computers are mainly for work and being an early adopter often means putting up with some initial problems.

Appreciate the suggestion, however.

You're welcome.

acfo's gear list:acfo's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,800
Why I believe Funny Valentine is dead/inactive

Funny Valentine wrote:

The logic of olympus/omds apologists makes no sense here.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more

Funny Valentine wrote:

BobT3218 wrote:

I read somewhere that Samsung was in talks with "Olympus" presumably OMDS about possibly branding their phone camera lenses a Olympus. I have a nasty feeling in my bones that this might be the "Wow" thing promised later in the year. I sure hope not. Heaven forbid that they brand phone camera lenses as Zuiko.

I too have the feeling that the WoW camera will be the Samsung Galaxy S22 smartphone.

I think Samsung is in talk with Olympus corporation and not OMDS, because OMDS only has the temporary rights to use the "olympus" brand name. The Olympus brand belongs to the Olympus corporation and not OMDS.

Wrong. If they want to put "zuiko" on the lens then omds has the rights to that.

-- hide signature --

cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 4,295

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

BobT3218 wrote:

I think Samsung is in talk with Olympus corporation and not OMDS, because OMDS only has the temporary rights to use the "olympus" brand name. The Olympus brand belongs to the Olympus corporation and not OMDS.

Wrong. If they want to put "zuiko" on the lens then omds has the rights to that.

True, the Zuiko brand name is now owned by JIP. But I do not think a company as large as Samsung can afford to put "Zuiko" on their phone lenses. The risk of "Zuiko" becoming associated with a failed company is too great.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III +15 more
BobT3218 Contributing Member • Posts: 835

Anecdotal evidence and impressions are so deceiving and not worth arguing over. Even properly conducted surveys in one country are meaningful only in that country. Save your energy.

BobT3218's gear list:BobT3218's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-450 +7 more
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,752
What's the big deal?

Wingsfan wrote:

I love the format and I doubt I will be changing anytime in the next 5 to 10 years, even if the whole thing goes away, but I wonder what's going to happen now. Is the sensor limited size wise, for 8K? And what about significantly larger megapixel counts? Personally I don't need anything more than 20MP, and I've never needed more than the system could provide, but there are people out there that need to push it much more than I do.

And at what point does a pixel become so small, that even with newer sensor innovations, there is a point where it just can't compete with a somewhat larger sensor? FF has become cost competitive for an amateur now, versus being priced out a few years ago.

I don't get this stuff about 'can't compete with'. There is no denying that full-frame sensors perform better than smaller sensors if you want high resolution combined with high-ISO performance. Just as Jaguars go faster (or go faster more comfortably) than Minis.

But ... an M43 system is far more convenient and comfortable to carry around than a full-frame system - bodies are mostly smaller and lighter, and the lenses are certainly smaller and lighter.

You select a system based on your priorities. For me, compactness and weight (and to some extent price) are key issues. M43 suits me fine. Other people have other priorities. So - the systems co-exist. You have choice. It is not a war. Despite the impression given in threads of this kind. And the needlessly provocative title of the original post.

-- hide signature --

Tim
'If I were you, I wouldn't start from here ... '
http://timauger.smugmug.com

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8

cba_melbourne wrote:

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

BobT3218 wrote:

True, the Zuiko brand name is now owned by JIP. But I do not think a company as large as Samsung can afford to put "Zuiko" on their phone lenses. The risk of "Zuiko" becoming associated with a failed company is too great.

Well Olympus corp isn't in the consumer camera market anymore, so it is unlikely to be them.

BobT3218 Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Re: What's the big deal?

So true! For me it's more that with m4/3 I can afford a livery of top glass lenses that would be out of the question in FF.

BobT3218's gear list:BobT3218's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-450 +7 more
Grimstod Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Don't kid yourself

Iliah Borg wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Scream loud but give not facts.

I gave the facts. During 20 years of development of software to decode raw formats I gathered some

And he still gives no facts.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads