Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Funny Valentine
OP Funny Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,201
Re: Let's see

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

The logic of olympus/omds apologists makes no sense here.

Compared to what, to your distorted facts logic?

Every camera manufacturer is up to date on Apple, except Olympus.

Do you see Panasonic DC-S5, Panasonic DC-G100, Panasonic DC-FZ1000 II, Sony ILCE-1, Fujifilm GFX 100, Fujifilm GFX 100S, or Fujifilm X-E4 among supported cameras?

You had to pick cameras released way too recently to make a point here. Give it 6 months and they will be added to the RAW support. Maybe except the Panasonic ones, because Panasonic has given up too it seems (GH5-II)

What about limited number of cameras and formats supported when it comes to Hasselblad and Phase One? What about comments like

Well Hasselblad and Phases One have a very small userbase. Olympus has a very large userbase in Japan and Europe.

3. Uncompressed RAW format only

4. Nikon RAW L format only

5. Excluding RAW images taken using High Res Shot

6. Single shot RAW format only

7. Lossless RAW format only

That's what you call 'up to date'?

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur, Published Date: May 04, 2021: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Well not everything is perfect. Apple photos is a free software after all.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,640
Re: Let's see

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Every camera manufacturer is up to date on Apple, except Olympus.

Do you see Panasonic DC-S5, Panasonic DC-G100, Panasonic DC-FZ1000 II, Sony ILCE-1, Fujifilm GFX 100, Fujifilm GFX 100S, or Fujifilm X-E4 among supported cameras?

You had to pick cameras released way too recently to make a point here.

Fujifilm GFX 100 was released 22 months ago.

Get your facts straight.

Give it 6 months

Well not everything is perfect.

So which is it, "give it 6 months", "not everything is perfect", "Hasselblad and Phases One have a very small userbase", or "every camera manufacturer is up to date"? :)))

Apple photos is a free software

It's not, and you know it.

-- hide signature --
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 5,048
Re: Compared to what?

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Always makes me shake my head to see people get abusive about cameras and software.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 5,048
Re: Not true

Grimstod wrote:

Olympus has released the RAW content to Apple for the Em1.3 We know this as the Vise president of the British branch even complained in an interview that Apple had still not implemented what they had given them.

Link please.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
No protocols are needed

Funny Valentine wrote:

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Every camera manufacturer is up to date on Apple, except Olympus. Yet Apple is the one to blame ? How is that logic again ?

As was pointed out to you, it appears everything was given to Apple but they for whatever reason have not done anything. OMDS has no control of Apples OS. So yes if Apple has what they need, and have not indicated that need more it is 100% Apples fault.

Unless you have anything else to the contrary you would like to share.

The only thing that was pointed out here is that a British administrator from OMDS has sent Apple the protocols. And Apple has not responded.

But isn't Olympus/OMDS a Japanese company ? Maybe Apple found it weird that some third party from the UK is sending them the RAW support, and not Olympus Japan.

BTW we're talking about cameras released in October of 2019 (em5-3) and February of 2020 (em1-3), way before the JIP takeover. Why is OMDS even involved in this ?

What are you talking about, what protocols are needed?

Apple simply dropped the ball here.

dcraw was not updated since 2018/06/01, but it will convert regular EM-1 Mark III ORF files OK.

> dcraw -v -w -T +M <file.orf>

-- hide signature --

NZ Scott wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Always makes me shake my head to see people get abusive about cameras and software.

S

It's not about cameras, or software. It's simply about being abusive towards other people, especially when those other people enjoy their lives, equipment, etc.

The "Funny" part is that in their desire to spoil the joy they don't pay attention to facts, those clumsy trolls, and humiliate themselves.

-- hide signature --
millardmt Regular Member • Posts: 473
Re: Lemmings intent upon destruction!

Apple is like a cancer in technology.  How can anyone walk eyes-open into such a coercive environment, shedding all their autonomy in the process?  Apple - Tesla?

Marc

cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 4,302
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

generationfourth wrote:

G9 isn’t supported either. Oh the death of m43 is here! Lol at people thinking a format is just going to drop dead and all our cameras are t going to work.

if anyone wants a work around just shoot raw + jpeg and the jpeg will be displayed and can be edited. The raw can be exported to whatever editor of your choosing. Even LR on iOS device.

Just a thought. Can't you just run the windows RAW converter in a virtual windows session on a mac? It would be slightly slower than a native Mac RAW converter, but at least gets you the job done.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III +15 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 44,666

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Every camera manufacturer is up to date on Apple, except Olympus. Yet Apple is the one to blame ? How is that logic again ?

As was pointed out to you, it appears everything was given to Apple

it appears? Do we know for sure? Where exactly is the evidence?

That's why I said appears. As I haven't seen links.

yes you said that, but then keep posting with a bit lore authority than speculation

Why would Apple discriminate against just Olympus? Doesn’t that seem odd?

Who said it was discrimination? You must have worked or work at a large company. Things sometimes stop because someone drops the ball.

Well  Of course  I was just highlighting why Om Digital

It is entirely possible Olympus/omds screwed up, but it also entirely possible Apple did as well.

ok now we are going somewhere

Where is the OP evidence the nessary information was not passed on?

Sure. Not exactly defending the Op here..

but they for whatever reason have not done anything. OMDS has no control of Apples OS. So yes if Apple has what they need, and have not indicated that need more it is 100% Apples fault.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,827

Funny Valentine wrote:

Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down.

All the cameras released around the same time as em1.3 or much later (Canon R6/R5, Sony a7SIII, a7C, ZV, Fuji XT4 and many more) all have their RAW support included on Apple devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Even Nikon Z6 and Z7 mark II have RAW support on Apple devices.

More than a year later, Olympus can't even support its own format on the most popular platform for creators. All the other manufacturers have provided RAW support for their cheaper models, yet OMDS isn't even willing to do this for their flagship.

That says something when even basic product support isn't provided.

By this logic I guess Facebook is now dead, given Apple's disdain for them.

Apple is often incredibly slow with raw support but frankly, who cares? don't use their software; there are plenty of alternatives that run on macOS that are better than than Apple's offerings anyway.

EspE1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369
Oh,the follies of this world

How could I know that this troll created bait thread should turn into a classic PC vs Mac war ...

What is really underlying all this mess is that consumers and corporations alike have accepted to step into the digital world without demanding that products adhere to open standards.

If I had at the outset understood that to maintain my digital Olympus cameras I need to keep one PC running proprietary Windows OS solely for this purpose, I probably wouldn't have gotten into Olympus camera systems again, (OM was my first). All my other PCs have for the last 15 years run on open standard and free (as in both free beer and free speech) Linux OS with many splendid open source image programs like RawTherapy, darktable, digiKam and Gimp.

EspE1's gear list:EspE1's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +19 more
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,801

Funny Valentine wrote:

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

As was pointed out to you, it appears everything was given to Apple but they for whatever reason have not done anything. OMDS has no control of Apples OS. So yes if Apple has what they need, and have not indicated that need more it is 100% Apples fault.

The only thing that was pointed out here is that a British administrator from OMDS has sent Apple the protocols. And Apple has not responded.

But isn't Olympus/OMDS a Japanese company ? Maybe Apple found it weird that some third party from the UK is sending them the RAW support, and not Olympus Japan.

BTW we're talking about cameras released in October of 2019 (em5-3) and February of 2020 (em1-3), way before the JIP takeover. Why is OMDS even involved in this ?

Perhaps you are unaware but omds is just the gutted Olympus camera division. I'm not sure many people understand that the consumer camera division was basically it's own company just under Olympus.

Olympus has decided that it will not foot the bill after this year.

So to answer your question, omds is the Olympus consumer camera division.

Here's a question for you, why would Olympus a medical/health care business want to talk to Apple about consumer products?

RecklessCoding Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: You probably never dealt with Apple as a soft. dev...

Phil wrote:

I am really laughing now.

Glad to hear!

I was a MS Beta tester at one time. They listened to you.

Your comment also sums up my experience with MS too; both with their 'low-level devs' and people in the extreme leadership side of their corporate spectrum.

Your comments about Apple are right on. I gave up on them. Yet they have people who swear but them, but they are usually not the technical sort.

I know technical people who also swear by Apple, but I noticed that increasingly more and more want to move away. Some do, others are more concerned for all the money they have already spent on the App Store and iTunes. Personally, I gave up on my Apple gear after I lost over a day and got a very nasty headache because OS X kept overriding my Python libraries installation to its default, built-in one in a very bizarre manner: it was copying the folders to the correct place, but then creating virtual remappings of them for no reason. Then again, I was not using the machine the way 'I was meant to' by switching to a sudo user...

RecklessCoding's gear list:RecklessCoding's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +4 more
Kaltenberg Mike
Kaltenberg Mike Regular Member • Posts: 134

SrMi wrote:

It is sporadic to see a Windows computer in a photography workshop; almost everyone uses Macs. All professional photographers that I know of use Macs.

How about a poll :)?

That is a very Amero-centric view of the world. Poll? Good idea.

-- hide signature --

What makes photography a strange invention is that its primary raw materials are light and time. – John Berger
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147474922@N03/
https://www.facebook.com/mike.page.39395
https://mikepage-mountainlightphotography.blogspot.com/

Kaltenberg Mike's gear list:Kaltenberg Mike's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4
randolin Regular Member • Posts: 286
Re: Maybe ...

Glen Barrington wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Olympus has released the RAW content to Apple for the Em1.3 We know this as the Vise president of the British branch even complained in an interview that Apple had still not implemented what they had given them.

Maybe this points to a slightly different problem. If indeed Apple has had the info for some time but not bothered to update its SW for the latest m43 cameras(s), then it speaks to how they view them in the overall photo market. Since Macs are heavily used in photo editing I do not think they would ignore a product they felt a large percentage of photographers were using or likely to be using in the future. I cannot imagine them ignoring Canon or Sony for instance.

Simply put, Apple might not be in a hurry for support because they see m43 as a dying system and are focusing their resources on those companies they perceive as being the eventual winners in the dwindling photo market.

Updating the raw file to support a new camera is fairly simple stuff. Simple enough, that you could have an intern do it. The cost is small enough that it isn't going to show up in the bottom line at all. There is more going on than resource allocation and OMDs survival.

My emphasis.

Nikon is still being supported. And it is at least as close to "lay-down and close your eyes, dead" as OMDS.

Nudin' like a good rumor slug fest.

randolin's gear list:randolin's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
bigsambwfc Regular Member • Posts: 178

Been OLY since OM1 now have the mk3, will give it till end of this year to sort the non RAW file on Apple, if nothing is done then its Sony for me and a weightlifting regime.So fed up with this lot in Japan at present.

bigsambwfc's gear list:bigsambwfc's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,984
Re: Apple uses slave labor in China

Henry Richardson wrote:

Apple uses slave labor and its customers abet it.

'Woke' Apple continues to use Chinese slave labor, report shows

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/may/11/apple-continues-use-china-slave-labor-report-shows/

Seven Apple Suppliers Accused of Using Forced Labor From Xinjiang

An investigation found that Apple’s suppliers participated in labor programs suspected of being part of China's alleged genocide against Uyghurs. The newly uncovered evidence stands in contrast to Apple's statements that it hasn't found evidence of forced labor.

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/seven-apple-suppliers-accused-of-using-forced-labor-from-xinjiang

Maybe Apple could put some of their slaves on adding Olympus support?

Censorship, Surveillance and Profits: A Hard Bargain for Apple in China

https://dnyuz.com/2021/05/17/censorship-surveillance-and-profits-a-hard-bargain-for-apple-in-china/

Internal Apple documents reviewed by The New York Times, interviews with 17 current and former Apple employees and four security experts, and new filings made in a court case in the United States last week provide rare insight into the compromises Mr. Cook has made to do business in China. They offer an extensive inside look — many aspects of which have never been reported before — at how Apple has given in to escalating demands from the Chinese authorities.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

BobT3218 Contributing Member • Posts: 838

I read somewhere that Samsung was in talks with "Olympus" presumably OMDS about possibly branding their phone camera lenses a Olympus. I have a nasty feeling in my bones that this might be the "Wow" thing promised later in the year. I sure hope not. Heaven forbid that they brand phone camera lenses as Zuiko.

BobT3218's gear list:BobT3218's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-450 +7 more
Funny Valentine
OP Funny Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,201

BobT3218 wrote:

I read somewhere that Samsung was in talks with "Olympus" presumably OMDS about possibly branding their phone camera lenses a Olympus. I have a nasty feeling in my bones that this might be the "Wow" thing promised later in the year. I sure hope not. Heaven forbid that they brand phone camera lenses as Zuiko.

I too have the feeling that the WoW camera will be the Samsung Galaxy S22 smartphone.

I think Samsung is in talk with Olympus corporation and not OMDS, because OMDS only has the temporary rights to use the "olympus" brand name. The Olympus brand belongs to the Olympus corporation and not OMDS.

But yeah I can't imagine a WOW camera with a sensor from 2016.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,784
Anyone here heard of DNG ?

Surely a Mac can convert and open a DNG file?

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads