Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 44,670
Re: Would be good to verify the claims...

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Why would they bother making all products very recyclable? Why would they bother investing money to get renewable energy sources? Why they would force suppliers to follow in this area? The easiest would be to not do any of those things.

Very recyclable? If they truely cared about that, the "right to repair" movement would not be a thing.

Yes, very recyclable. Look at the materials they use on components.

Also this is not something only Apple is guilty of. The process of obtaining raw materials used in phones and computers is very environmentally harmful and offsets any "green" initiatives.

Thus, a good thing they make their devices very recyclable. They also recycle things.

Not only this but some of the things Apple has done, like getting rid of the charger with some products actually ends up creating more waste.

How so? The idea is to re-use chargers many people have.

Not to mention everyone one uses plastic in their packaging which almost always ends up in landfills, or the ocean.

Which is why they are using a new packaging for iPhone 12 which is very recyclable. Also iPhone 12is the first smartphone with 100% recyclable rare elements in all magnets.

The difference is some companies are not pretending to be green. But Apple is not the only one guilty of pretending.

You should read what they have done over time to go more green. It's out there- look it up. Things they didn't have to do because they would have saved more money at least initially.

I mean, why bother doing this?

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-is-helping-launch-a-200-million-fund-to-restore-forests/

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Barry Stewart
Barry Stewart Veteran Member • Posts: 9,138
Still waiting on RAW support for TG-5

I upgraded my TG-3 to the TG-5 because of its RAW shooting ability, especially for underwater.

Apple — or Olympus — hasn't bothered to get RAW support sorted in about 4 years. The TG-6 was announced in 2019 and only the TG-4 is supported so far. How hard can it be?
I don't hold with the OP's theory of proof that the new owners have abandoned the brand. I would side more with Apple putting it on the back burner and turning off the heat.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +10 more
Funny Valentine
OP Funny Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,207
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

The logic of olympus/omds apologists makes no sense here.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Phil Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Re: You probably never dealt with Apple as a soft. dev...

I am really laughing now.  I was a MS Beta tester at one time.  They listened to you.  Your comments about Apple are right on.  I gave up on them.  Yet they have people who swear but them, but they are usually not the technical sort.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,804

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Why would they bother making all products very recyclable? Why would they bother investing money to get renewable energy sources? Why they would force suppliers to follow in this area? The easiest would be to not do any of those things.

Very recyclable? If they truely cared about that, the "right to repair" movement would not be a thing.

Also this is not something only Apple is guilty of. The process of obtaining raw materials used in phones and computers is very environmentally harmful and offsets any "green" initiatives.

Thus, a good thing they make their devices very recyclable. They also recycle things.

Not only this but some of the things Apple has done, like getting rid of the charger with some products actually ends up creating more waste.

They were very easy to recycle actually.

Not to mention everyone one uses plastic in their packaging which almost always ends up in landfills, or the ocean.

Which is why they are using a new packaging for iPhone 12 which is very recyclable. Also iPhone 12is the first smartphone with 100% recyclable rare elements in all magnets.

Yes this these are really nice baby steps that do little to off set the damage that is being done. If you notice Apple is not 100% specific on these things. That is because even if they get to a point of 90% recovery it may not be enough to offset demand. Apple wants you to buy a new iPhone every year. They want to expand marketshare.

A lot of e waste is still shredded, and yes even by Apple, which makes it harder to recycle.

And I also believe you don't really understand supply chain. There is packaging on top of what Apple does.

Yes Apple is trying, unfortunately a lot of this info is coming from Apple not independent environmental assessments. Which I gaurentee you would be less forgiving.

The difference is some companies are not pretending to be green. But Apple is not the only one guilty of pretending.

You should read what they have done over time to go more green. It's out there- look it up. Things they didn't have to do because they would have saved more money at least initially.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-is-helping-launch-a-200-million-fund-to-restore-forests/

Yes let's all sing and dance while turning a blind eye to the amount of work that must be done before companies can claim to be green.

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,647
Compared to what?

Funny Valentine wrote:

Compared to what, to your distorted facts logic?

-- hide signature --
Funny Valentine
Re: Compared to what?

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Every camera manufacturer is up to date on Apple, except Olympus. Yet Apple is the one to blame ? How is that logic again ?

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

They were very easy to recycle actually

and?  How not having to put out more of them when people have charged better? The best recycle is the one you don’t have to do- when it makes sense to do so

you were always paying for the charger

Yes this these are really nice baby steps that do little to off set the damage that is being done.

there’s many lore things being done  on what criteria is it just baby steps?  Who else is doing this?

If you notice Apple is not 100% specific on these things. That is because even if they get to a point of 90% recovery it may not be enough to offset demand. Apple wants you to buy a new iPhone every year. They want to expand marketshare.

Very company wants to sell devices  the question I am asking is within those companies which are investing as much as apple to help with the environment?

A lot of e waste is still shredded, and yes even by Apple, which makes it harder to recycle.

And I also believe you don't really understand supply chain. There is packaging on top of what Apple does.

oh I do   I was giving an example of improvements

Yes Apple is trying, unfortunately a lot of this info is coming from Apple not independent environmental assessments. Which I gaurentee you would be less forgiving.

go ahead and read the amount of investments and how apple is pushing on the supply chain with changes  who else is exactly doing this?  What would ah e been the easier route when uiu care zero about environment?

Yes let's all sing and dance while turning a blind eye to the amount of work that must be done before companies can claim to be green.

I didn’t say we should turn a blind eye or sing and dance   I was merely putting t in  perspective what apple is trying to do giving you evidence

of course we should all be skeptical and watch

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Re: Not true

Grimstod wrote:

Olympus has released the RAW content to Apple for the Em1.3 We know this as the Vise president of the British branch even complained in an interview that Apple had still not implemented what they had given them.

Got a link to backup this claim?  It’s interesting

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Every camera manufacturer is up to date on Apple, except Olympus. Yet Apple is the one to blame ? How is that logic again ?

As was pointed out to you, it appears everything was given to Apple but they for whatever reason have not done anything. OMDS has no control of Apples OS. So yes if Apple has what they need, and have not indicated that need more it is 100% Apples fault.

Unless you have anything else to the contrary you would like to share.

How would you know?
-- hide signature --

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

As was pointed out to you, it appears everything was given to Apple

it appears? Do we know for sure? Where exactly is the evidence?

Why would Apple discriminate against just Olympus?  Doesn’t that seem odd?

but they for whatever reason have not done anything. OMDS has no control of Apples OS. So yes if Apple has what they need, and have not indicated that need more it is 100% Apples fault.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

and? How not having to put out more of them when people have charged better? The best recycle is the one you don’t have to do- when it makes sense to do so

Actually it would be better to make more sustainable and power efficienct charger. Not promote very inefficient wireless charging stations.

Yes this these are really nice baby steps that do little to off set the damage that is being done.

there’s many lore things being done on what criteria is it just baby steps? Who else is doing this?

If you notice Apple is not 100% specific on these things. That is because even if they get to a point of 90% recovery it may not be enough to offset demand. Apple wants you to buy a new iPhone every year. They want to expand marketshare.

Very company wants to sell devices the question I am asking is within those companies which are investing as much as apple to help with the environment?

oh I do I was giving an example of improvements

go ahead and read the amount of investments and how apple is pushing on the supply chain with changes who else is exactly doing this? What would ah e been the easier route when uiu care zero about environment?

I didn’t say we should turn a blind eye or sing and dance I was merely putting t in perspective what apple is trying to do giving you evidence

Yes at least Apple is trying although I believe Dell, and HP as well as Samsung have been as well.

The problem is they trying to be green but are not yet.

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

As was pointed out to you, it appears everything was given to Apple

it appears? Do we know for sure? Where exactly is the evidence?

That's why I said appears. As I haven't seen links.

Why would Apple discriminate against just Olympus? Doesn’t that seem odd?

Who said it was discrimination? You must have worked or work at a large company. Things sometimes stop because someone drops the ball.

It is entirely possible Olympus/omds screwed up, but it also entirely possible Apple did as well.

Where is the OP evidence the nessary information was not passed on?

but they for whatever reason have not done anything. OMDS has no control of Apples OS. So yes if Apple has what they need, and have not indicated that need more it is 100% Apples fault.

-- hide signature --

Wingsfan
Wingsfan Contributing Member • Posts: 535
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

It will be very interesting to see where things go from here. A few years back there was an incredible period of innovation in the m43 segment.

I love the format and I doubt I will be changing anytime in the next 5 to 10 years, even if the whole thing goes away, but I wonder what's going to happen now.  Is the sensor limited size wise, for 8K?  And what about significantly larger megapixel counts?  Personally I don't need anything more than 20MP, and I've never needed more than the system could provide, but there are people out there that need to push it much more than I do.

And at what point does a pixel become so small, that even with newer sensor innovations, there is a point where it just can't compete with a somewhat larger sensor? FF has become cost competitive for an amateur now, versus being priced out a few years ago.

I don't believe the format is dead. I am not concerned about my equipment, even if the system does go away. But these are some realistic concerns people may have about getting into the system or expanding the m43 system that they may already have.

As my oldest is off to school soon, I won't be taking swim team pictures any longer, which was really the only thing I had to push the system for, so any innovations moving ahead won't be that important to me, but I think they will be for the M43 segment in general..

Wingsfan's gear list:Wingsfan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix 4100 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon Coolpix S9100 +17 more

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

victorav wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

and? How not having to put out more of them when people have charged better? The best recycle is the one you don’t have to do- when it makes sense to do so

Actually it would be better to make more sustainable and power efficienct charger. Not promote very inefficient wireless charging stations.

?

there’s many lore things being done on what criteria is it just baby steps? Who else is doing this?

Very company wants to sell devices the question I am asking is within those companies which are investing as much as apple to help with the environment?

oh I do I was giving an example of improvements

go ahead and read the amount of investments and how apple is pushing on the supply chain with changes who else is exactly doing this? What would ah e been the easier route when uiu care zero about environment?

I didn’t say we should turn a blind eye or sing and dance I was merely putting t in perspective what apple is trying to do giving you evidence

Yes at least Apple is trying although I believe Dell, and HP as well as Samsung have been as well.

with the same scope/breath and current level of accomplishment?

The problem is they trying to be green but are not yet.

Are they trying the same hard?  The same breadth of initiatives? Are we to expect companies to flip overnight or is a timetable more reasonable?

-- hide signature --

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,647
Let's see

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Every camera manufacturer is up to date on Apple, except Olympus.

Do you see Panasonic DC-S5, Panasonic DC-G100, Panasonic DC-FZ1000 II, Sony ILCE-1, Fujifilm GFX 100, Fujifilm GFX 100S, or Fujifilm X-E4 among supported cameras?

What about limited number of cameras and formats supported when it comes to Hasselblad and Phase One? What about comments like

3. Uncompressed RAW format only

4. Nikon RAW L format only

5. Excluding RAW images taken using High Res Shot

6. Single shot RAW format only

7. Lossless RAW format only

That's what you call 'up to date'?

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur, Published Date: May 04, 2021: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

-- hide signature --
Funny Valentine

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

As was pointed out to you, it appears everything was given to Apple but they for whatever reason have not done anything. OMDS has no control of Apples OS. So yes if Apple has what they need, and have not indicated that need more it is 100% Apples fault.

The only thing that was pointed out here is that a British administrator from OMDS has sent Apple the protocols. And Apple has not responded.

But isn't Olympus/OMDS a Japanese company ? Maybe Apple found it weird that some third party from the UK is sending them the RAW support, and not Olympus Japan.

BTW we're talking about cameras released in October of 2019 (em5-3) and February of 2020 (em1-3), way before the JIP takeover. Why is OMDS even involved in this ?

-- hide signature --

NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 5,048
I wouldn't buy an unsupported camera

Ruairi wrote:

mwhyte wrote:

What does HiRes native support mean? Aren’t HiRes files just standard RAW ORF files?

It means thumbnail and previews don't show up in Mac explorer. Make of that what you will. First world problem, life-draining suicide note paragraph, or somewhere in between.

As a Macbook Pro user and M43 shooter, this would be annoying enough to stop me buying another Olympus.

Bring your camera everywhere, as you never know what the world will give you.

They're using E-M1X HiRes shots for product photography - all will be edited and handed over as jpegs or Tiffs, so...

I went with a much more powerful, more versatile, slightly heavier Windows machine, so am smug in that there's less to inhibit my Olympus from delivering images of what the world may put in front of it

But I don't want to make light of it. They should be supported by Apple by now.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 5,048
100%

softmarmotte wrote:

SrMi wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

At best Macs represent 15% of shipped PCs. 85% of the world works fine with Olympus...

Among photographers, the Macs seem to be more popular than PCs,

really ? based on what evidence ? 20 + years ago lots of 'designers' that i worked with worked exclusively with macs. now it's less than 50% of those that i work with...

100% of the designers and photographers I work with use Macs.

And I work with a lot of designers and photographers.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads