Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,458
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

softmarmotte wrote:

At best Macs represent 15% of shipped PCs. 85% of the world works fine with Olympus...

A quick search put Apple at around 8% of the PC computer market in Q3 2020.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +50 more
skysurfer5
skysurfer5 Contributing Member • Posts: 832

I know three full-time professional photographers, two wedding/portrait guys and one jack-of-all-trades guy.  All three use PCs....very high end PCs.  I know two other professional photographers, both wedding/portrait guys, who retired within the last ten years.  One used a PC.  The other shot film with his Hasselblad and never even bought a computer for email, let alone for his photography.

I know at least a half dozen semi-pros.  They do photography part time for money (mostly portraits) and the rest of the time they are raising their families and/or going to their regular full-time job (one of these is my oldest daughter).  Only one uses a Mac (not my daughter), while the rest use PCs.

This is anecdotal, of course, and doesn't come close to a valid statistical sample.  But, it hints that your impression that Macs are more popular among photographers may be incorrect.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +16 more
skysurfer5
skysurfer5 Contributing Member • Posts: 832

Funny Valentine wrote:

PC dominates worldwide sales simply because of markets such as India, africa and most emerging nations. And they're certainly not olympus users either.

PCs dominate the market because IBM used an open standard model (for the purpose of killing the machine that was robbing mainframe sales....as rumor had it back then), while Apple uses a closed standard model.  PCs dominate the market because they are cheaper than Apple products and easier to modify to suit particular needs.

In my field (civil engineering) PCs dominate the market even more because for years there was no serious engineering software available for the Mac.  It was all written for the PC.

Back in the early 1990s, I finally came across a one-office engineering firm that used Macs.  But, it severely handicapped them because there was no good CAD software available, no good engineering analysis and design software available, etc.  All they had was was appeared to me to be stripped down versions of word processors and spreadsheets.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +16 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,632
Meh

Chris Noble wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down.

All the cameras released around the same time as em1.3 or much later (Canon R6/R5, Sony a7SIII, a7C, ZV, Fuji XT4 and many more) all have their RAW support included on Apple devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Even Nikon Z6 and Z7 mark II have RAW support on Apple devices.

More than a year later, Olympus can't even support its own format on the most popular platform for creators. All the other manufacturers have provided RAW support for their cheaper models, yet OMDS isn't even willing to do this for their flagship.

That says something when even basic product support isn't provided.

You wicked boy you!

No, just another one of those boys who don't know what they are talking about.

-- hide signature --
RecklessCoding Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: You probably never dealt with Apple as a soft. dev...

Funny Valentine wrote:

Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down.

All the cameras released around the same time as em1.3 or much later (Canon R6/R5, Sony a7SIII, a7C, ZV, Fuji XT4 and many more) all have their RAW support included on Apple devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Even Nikon Z6 and Z7 mark II have RAW support on Apple devices.

More than a year later, Olympus can't even support its own format on the most popular platform for creators. All the other manufacturers have provided RAW support for their cheaper models, yet OMDS isn't even willing to do this for their flagship.

That says something when even basic product support isn't provided.

Back in my software development days, I was in a company working on an enterprise application meant to run on OS X (what MacOS was called at the time). Over the year or so I spent in that company, we would frequently report bugs or make requests to Apple. In my experience, dealing with their developers-facing team is like talking to a wall. You report a bug or request, you get your almost automated reply, and then wait. There is no cooperation or further involvement from your end —unlike Microsoft or even IBM. They have their own internal processes, all of which you have no idea about nor they are willing to tell you. You just had to wait and hope that they will acknowledge/work on your request.

Even now, as a researcher often engaged in dialogs with big tech., talking to Apple is always a different experience. Their organisational culture and corporate policies simply promote a mindset of 'we are Apple, we will do things as we want to.'

Where I am coming at is that Olympus not having E-M1 MkIII RAW support is probably just a matter of time. Changing the legal entity probably required them to recertify themselves and have to navigate the stone maze that is Apple's policies.

RecklessCoding's gear list:RecklessCoding's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +4 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 44,649
No, Apple/Mac isn't dying, to the contrary... :-)

M1. 'nuff said, are you kidding me?

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Would be good to verify the claims...

made in that article. Particularly from a website that looks like a Fox News front page.

After all, Apple of all companies has forced suppliers to adhere to higher standards when it comes to this.

https://fortune.com/2020/11/09/apple-iphone-supplier-suspend-pegatron/

Same with renewable energy

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-pushes-over-110-manufacturing-partners-into-renewable-energy/

I am sure no company is perfect, but I find from all of them, seems like Apple is trying to do a lot of right things that they could just ignore.

Update: Did a check on The Information which The Washington Times cites- looks like a legit company.  Can't find any links evaluating media bias, need to see more articles, but looks like it could be quite legit.  I'll be watching over that for a bit.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,170
Mac M1 ...

Raist3d wrote:

I've always been a Windows PC user but I just had to try the new Mac Mini with the M1 chip.  I got the lowest model with just 8GB memory.  This thing is amazing.  My PC with 3x the memory is way slower.  I paid $635 and got a very compact computer that is made better than any Windows PC I have ever used.  Apple is onto something with these and I really think they could make a big inroads into the traditional PC market.

I already had an iphone, apple watch and ipad so I'm starting to try and figure out why I should keep running Windows PCs.  I'm retiring from a career as a consultant developing software so now my computer is just for me. No need to use a Windows PC because my customers do the same.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Grimstod Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Don't kid yourself

Scream loud but give not facts.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,920
Re: Would be good to verify the claims...

Raist3d wrote:

made in that article. Particularly from a website that looks like a Fox News front page.

After all, Apple of all companies has forced suppliers to adhere to higher standards when it comes to this.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-pushes-over-110-manufacturing-partners-into-renewable-energy/

I am sure no company is perfect, but I find from all of them, seems like Apple is trying to do a lot of right things that they could just ignore.

They cynic in me wonders if all that 'trying' is a virtue signaling advertising campaign. to distract Apple's continued use of slave labor.

Update: Did a check on The Information which The Washington Times cites- looks like a legit company. Can't find any links evaluating media bias, need to see more articles, but looks like it could be quite legit. I'll be watching over that for a bit.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Glen Barrington
Re: No, Apple/Mac isn't dying, to the contrary... :-)

Raist3d wrote:

Which brings us full circle.  Why isn't Apple supporting Olympus?

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,750

softmarmotte wrote:

SrMi wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

At best Macs represent 15% of shipped PCs. 85% of the world works fine with Olympus...

Among photographers, the Macs seem to be more popular than PCs,

really ? based on what evidence ? 20 + years ago lots of 'designers' that i worked with worked exclusively with macs. now it's less than 50% of those that i work with...

Dealing with other people in the publishing industry (editors and designers in Europe and Asia) I don't think I know any who don't use a Mac.

-- hide signature --

Tim
'If I were you, I wouldn't start from here ... '
http://timauger.smugmug.com

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,322
Are the cameras dead too?

If not, everybody can keep shooting.

I'm pretty sure most Olympus buyers use jpeg, and fewer and fewer pros use this system anyway.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Glen Barrington
Re: Are the cameras dead too?

Rambow wrote:

If not, everybody can keep shooting.

I'm pretty sure most Olympus buyers use jpeg,

Maybe, maybe not, maybe we need a poll. {Done!}

and fewer and fewer pros use this system anyway.

Maybe, I don't know, m43s and 4/3s in general was pretty much designed as a personal/consumer photo system. I wonder how many Pros (which I define as earning primary income from photography), also use an m43s camera as their personal camera (happy snaps, personal photographic expression, etc.)

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,632
Re: Don't kid yourself

Grimstod wrote:

Scream loud but give not facts.

I gave the facts. During 20 years of development of software to decode raw formats I gathered some

-- hide signature --
victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,790

Glen Barrington wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

They cynic in me wonders if all that 'trying' is a virtue signaling advertising campaign. to distract Apple's continued use of slave labor.

Update: Did a check on The Information which The Washington Times cites- looks like a legit company. Can't find any links evaluating media bias, need to see more articles, but looks like it could be quite legit. I'll be watching over that for a bit.

My problem with Apple is the continued bs marketing that they a trying to go "green". If they really wanted to do that they would stop making phones.

Glen Barrington wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Eh, I think the accomplishments are real too.

-- hide signature --

victorav wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

My problem with Apple is the continued bs marketing that they a trying to go "green". If they really wanted to do that they would stop making phones.

Why would they bother making all products very recyclable? Why would they bother investing money to get renewable energy sources?  Why they would force suppliers to follow in this area?   The easiest would be to not do any of those things.

-- hide signature --

Re: No, Apple/Mac isn't dying, to the contrary... :-)

Glen Barrington wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Which brings us full circle. Why isn't Apple supporting Olympus?

Maybe OM Digital isn't doing what they need to do? I mean, is Apple "not supporting Olympus" the only possibility?

-- hide signature --

victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,790

Raist3d wrote:

Why would they bother making all products very recyclable? Why would they bother investing money to get renewable energy sources? Why they would force suppliers to follow in this area? The easiest would be to not do any of those things.

Very recyclable? If they truely cared about that, the "right to repair" movement would not be a thing.

Also this is not something only Apple is guilty of. The process of obtaining raw materials used in phones and computers is very environmentally harmful and offsets any "green" initiatives.

Not only this but some of the things Apple has done, like getting rid of the charger with some products actually ends up creating more waste. Not to mention everyone one uses plastic in their packaging which almost always ends up in landfills, or the ocean.

The difference is some companies are not pretending to be green. But Apple is not the only one guilty of pretending.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads