Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mr Giggles Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Re: Why I believe Olympus/OMDS is dead/inactive

Funny Valentine wrote:

Ruairi wrote:

It's a massive uphill struggle for a new company to have their software ported onto Apple devices. It takes a long time. The certification process must start from scratch.

Mark Thakara UK head of marketing at OMDS speaks to this in a recent AMA with a UK Olympus forum group. They are working flat out to address this. If I can find the link, I'll share here.

Oh, at least someone has recognised the problem over at OMDS.

But the em1.3 was released back in February 2020, almost a year before JIP took over. Plenty of time for Olympus to provide the RAW support to apple, as they used to do with every other camera. My guess is the staff cut was already starting back then.

At this point it's really a pain to manage and go through RAW files from the em1.3. You have to use either the sluggish workspace, or LR which are not ideal for archiving large number of profiles.

I believe you can use DXO for raw conversion which also has the absolutely outstanding " deep prime "  noise reduction

justmeMN Forum Pro • Posts: 10,205

softmarmotte wrote:

At best Macs represent 15% of shipped PCs. 85% of the world works fine with Olympus...

It's even lower than that. Gartner puts Mac's 2020 worldwide market share at 8.2%.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,932
Maybe, it's APPLE/Mac that is dying!

Jer81 wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

My equipment will keep on working. Results are more than enough. Already to much lenses to choose from.

Why should I care for someone's opinion? Why spreading negativity about a format or company?

The raw specs are freely available, and third party support of ORFs seems strong.  Why can't the mac product manager afford the $100/$200 in programming time to support ORF?  Budget restraints?  Is Apple the hardware equivalent of Corel?

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
justmeMN Forum Pro • Posts: 10,205

Funny Valentine wrote:

PC dominates worldwide sales simply because of markets such as India, africa and most emerging nations.

Gartner reports that Mac's USA-only market share at only 14%.

Phil Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Re: Odd

I think the concept of putting RAW formats in the operating system is flawed. Goes back to when Apple was trying to sell their own RAW photo processing software such as Aperture. It was such a mess, that shooting JPEG became a solution.

I work with both PC's and MAC's. It is not just camera changes that make MAC's frustrating. They come out with a new OS and suddenly old printers will not print and getting a driver is a challenge. That said, the MAC print drivers are no match for the PC drivers.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III
Glen Barrington
Re: Maybe ...

jwilliams wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Olympus has released the RAW content to Apple for the Em1.3 We know this as the Vise president of the British branch even complained in an interview that Apple had still not implemented what they had given them.

Maybe this points to a slightly different problem. If indeed Apple has had the info for some time but not bothered to update its SW for the latest m43 cameras(s), then it speaks to how they view them in the overall photo market. Since Macs are heavily used in photo editing I do not think they would ignore a product they felt a large percentage of photographers were using or likely to be using in the future. I cannot imagine them ignoring Canon or Sony for instance.

Simply put, Apple might not be in a hurry for support because they see m43 as a dying system and are focusing their resources on those companies they perceive as being the eventual winners in the dwindling photo market.

Updating the raw file to support a new camera is fairly simple stuff.  Simple enough, that you could have an intern do it.  The cost is small enough that it isn't going to show up in the bottom line at all.  There is more going on than resource allocation and OMDs survival.

Nikon is still being supported.  And it is at least as close to "lay-down and close your eyes, dead" as OMDS.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,639

Glen Barrington wrote:

Updating the raw file to support a new camera is fairly simple stuff. Simple enough, that you could have an intern do it.

You can also use a heated screwdriver instead of a soldering iron.

Right tools for the job, right people for the job.

-- hide signature --
MacroDonata
MacroDonata Regular Member • Posts: 239
Recent comment from someone trying to get it resolved

"DanDare" posted this comment last week:

"Here is an update.

As of today, May 4th, I've had no reply from Apple since I raised the issue back in February in a support call.

Today I called Apple Support and told them that Olympus Tech Support had assured me in early February that they had given all necessary data to enable RAW support to all the Image editing software providers so I asked why has Apple not included RAW Support in the latest version of MacOS 11.3.1 released 26th April? I also pointed out that as well as the E-M1 Mark III, none of the Olympus cameras introduced after the M1X have RAW support, the MiX was the last camera to have RAW support included in MacOS.

I ended up talking to a second level tech support person who said he would escalate this to the appropriate Engineering team and promised me a reply later this week.

It does seem strange that the M1X is the last Olympus camera to be supported and yet every other manufacturers cameras introduced after that are now supported by MacOS."

This does not appear to be a problem created by Olympus. I have no idea why Apple is dragging their feet, but it isn't just Oly that is being ignored.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +23 more
Funny Valentine
OP Funny Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down.

More likely the other way around. Or do you not understand that Apple is not a freely open ecosystem?

It's up to the camera manufacturer to provide Apple with their RAW support protocol, and Apple will gladly include them via firmware update. Sony, Canon, Fuji all seem to be doing it regularly. Olympus also used to do it prior to 2019, as all Olympus models older than the em1.X are supported on Mac and IOS.

So the one to blame here is Olympus, not Apple. We're talking about support for cameras released in 2019, more than a year before the JIP transfer (em5-3 and em1-3). The situation becomes even more absurd when you realise the em5-3 and em1-3 use the same sensor/processors as the em1-2 and em1-X, which are supported on Mac. So providing the RAW support to Apple was an easy task.

In retrospect, that's a good indicator of the level of mayhem and chaos that must have been reigning at Olympus imaging division. End of 2019 and early 2020 coincides with the first rumors popping about Olympus exiting the camera business.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Funny Valentine
Re: Recent comment from someone trying to get it resolved

MacroDonata wrote:

"Here is an update.

As of today, May 4th, I've had no reply from Apple since I raised the issue back in February in a support call.

Today I called Apple Support and told them that Olympus Tech Support had assured me in early February that they had given all necessary data to enable RAW support to all the Image editing software providers so I asked why has Apple not included RAW Support in the latest version of MacOS 11.3.1 released 26th April? I also pointed out that as well as the E-M1 Mark III, none of the Olympus cameras introduced after the M1X have RAW support, the MiX was the last camera to have RAW support included in MacOS.

I ended up talking to a second level tech support person who said he would escalate this to the appropriate Engineering team and promised me a reply later this week.

It does seem strange that the M1X is the last Olympus camera to be supported and yet every other manufacturers cameras introduced after that are now supported by MacOS."

This does not appear to be a problem created by Olympus. I have no idea why Apple is dragging their feet, but it isn't just Oly that is being ignored.

The real question is why OMDS is going through the Apple support procedure, and why the process wasn't initiated by Olympus themselves ?

Em5.3 and em1.3 were cameras released by Olympus, not OMDS.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,803

Funny Valentine wrote:

victorav wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down.

More likely the other way around. Or do you not understand that Apple is not a freely open ecosystem?

It's up to the camera manufacturer to provide Apple with their RAW support protocol, and Apple will gladly include them via firmware update. Sony, Canon, Fuji all seem to be doing it regularly. Olympus also used to do it prior to 2019, as all Olympus models older than the em1.X are supported on Mac and IOS.

So the one to blame here is Olympus, not Apple. We're talking about support for cameras released in 2019, more than a year before the JIP transfer (em5-3 and em1-3). The situation becomes even more absurd when you realise the em5-3 and em1-3 use the same sensor/processors as the em1-2 and em1-X, which are supported on Mac. So providing the RAW support to Apple was an easy task.

In retrospect, that's a good indicator of the level of mayhem and chaos that must have been reigning at Olympus imaging division. End of 2019 and early 2020 coincides with the first rumors popping about Olympus exiting the camera business.

Was that your rumor, funnyrumormunger?

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more

jwilliams wrote:

Grimstod wrote:

Olympus has released the RAW content to Apple for the Em1.3 We know this as the Vise president of the British branch even complained in an interview that Apple had still not implemented what they had given them.

Maybe this points to a slightly different problem. If indeed Apple has had the info for some time but not bothered to update its SW for the latest m43 cameras(s), then it speaks to how they view them in the overall photo market. Since Macs are heavily used in photo editing I do not think they would ignore a product they felt a large percentage of photographers were using or likely to be using in the future. I cannot imagine them ignoring Canon or Sony for instance.

Simply put, Apple might not be in a hurry for support because they see m43 as a dying system and are focusing their resources on those companies they perceive as being the eventual winners in the dwindling photo market.

Ot perhaps Apple is being paid by other manufacturers as in pay to play.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more

Funny Valentine wrote:

MacroDonata wrote:

"Here is an update.

The real question is why OMDS is going through the Apple support procedure, and why the process wasn't initiated by Olympus themselves ?

How do you know it wasn't - a crystal ball?

Funny Valentine

Gary from Seattle wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

MacroDonata wrote:

"Here is an update.

So there's a conspiracy against Olympus ? Apple trying to sabotage olympus cameras ?

-- hide signature --

Glen Barrington

Iliah Borg wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

Updating the raw file to support a new camera is fairly simple stuff. Simple enough, that you could have an intern do it.

You miss my point, I think.  That is, the support cost of adding a new camera in an existing line is very inexpensive for most companies.  I'd say all, but there is always an outlier, or two.  And an unpaid intern COULD do it.  You said, yourself, below, there is no difference between the two cameras under discussion.

cc99 Regular Member • Posts: 273

Funny Valentine wrote:

More than a year later, Olympus can't even support its own format on the most popular platform for creators.

Why do you assume it's an Olympus problem?

Adobe and DxO PhotoLab have no problems adding support for new Olympus bodies a few months after the cameras appear.  Only Apple takes years.

cc99's gear list:cc99's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +26 more
Glen Barrington

Funny Valentine wrote:

Gary from Seattle wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

MacroDonata wrote:

"Here is an update.

So there's a conspiracy against Olympus ? Apple trying to sabotage olympus cameras ?

Well, it is obvious SOMETHING is causing Apple's reluctance for support when the rest of the industry is doing just fine.  PLUS, I suspect you have no more idea of what that something is than I do!  Your speculation is as much hot air as mine would be.

MacroDonata
MacroDonata Regular Member • Posts: 239

Funny Valentine wrote:

It's up to the camera manufacturer to provide Apple with their RAW support protocol, and Apple will gladly include them via firmware update.

I just provided evidence that OMDS HAS provided Apple with their RAW support protocol and Apple, thus far, has not included them via firmware update, gladly or not.

There is no reason to assume that Olympus didn't provide the protocol to Apple prior to the sale.  It would have been standard operating procedure for them to do so.  Do you have any evidence to indicate that they didn't.  I don't mean conjecture.

The REAL question is why is Apple dragging their feet.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +23 more
jimrand Forum Member • Posts: 64

I love my Olympus OM-D EM1-iii. More than enough camera for me. Now, here is something to chew on.

Ver 1.3 E-M1 iii update (4/6/2021) supports "USB transmission with Mac equipped with M1 chip is now supported." http://http://dl03.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1390/index03a.html

Take a look at the Microsoft Developer Platform for Azure. Pretty clear where MS is headed. Turns out the best development tool for Microsoft is (drum roll...) the Apple Mac. Why? Because it is UNIX based. I've been a .NET developer since 2013 and a player in the Cloud.

As soon as Capture One supports the M1 chip, my order is going in for a loaded iMac 24.

The start of this chain is "Since the launch of Olympus em1.3, the so called flagship camera, Olympus/OMDS hasn't given Apple the RAW support of the em1.3. The software engineering department of Olympus must be completely shut down."

Apple and Olympus/OMDS will pair quite nicely. Microsoft will continue to try to layer Linux on top of Windows 10. And I'll be quite content with my new iMac

• for photo processing of my Olympus camera
  • and software development for the next Microsoft project.
 jimrand's gear list:jimrand's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +2 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,639

Glen Barrington wrote:

Iliah Borg wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

And an unpaid intern COULD do it.

No, he can't. Because of testing protocols and signatures.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads