Dpreview TV : Best shooting position feedback.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
C Sean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,060
Dpreview TV : Best shooting position feedback.

Having just watched Chris and Jordan video on best shooting positioning, I wanted to add some feedback. Before I get to my feedback, I like to say I really enjoyed the video, I found it very informative and funny. However, there is three bits I think they failed to mention or unaware of.

1. The Operator.

While I use this stance myself, I felt it's important to highlight something Chris failed to mention. When doing the cradle position, you meant to fire or engage the lats. However, this may differ from person to person depending how strong they are. The best way to train and grow your lats is to perform the exercise known as the the pull up. It's very important to not train to failure when doing the pull up and stop when it become a struggle. So if you can only do three pull ups before you can't do anymore, just do one pull up instead as a set and do another a minutes or two later. Do five sets and have a break from it for a few days. The other alternative is to do the greasing the grove. Just do the odd pull up throughout the day.

By engaging the lats it helps keep your upper body tight and may bring extra stabilisation to your holding position.

2. Double 40kg Kettlebell front squat.

This exercise is very difficult and it not just a leg exercise, it's a whole body exercise. To begin with you need to do the double kettlebell clean to get the bells in the rack position which is challenging enough. However, the exercise takes on totally new dynamics when you start squatting with the two heavy cannonballs. You are trying to hold the Kettlebells in place as you squat up and down, which engage a lot of muscles in your upper body. A great exercise to do to help hold the camera steady.

3. The reverse get up.

An extremely difficult exercise which lead to many injuries, broken bones and deaths. The Turkish Get Up is where you get up and down while holding a heavy weight above your head. To make this exercise even more challenging, you only use one hand to push the weight away from your head. If you don't lock out your arm or you lose control, the weight will come crashing back down and mostly likely land on you. To do this with a heavy weight, you'll need to be 100% focus, sharp, strong and experienced.  No one should attempt this exercise unless you are strong overall and you begin with a light weight and progress to a more moderate weight.

The reason why I like the reverse Turkish get up is because you get extra clean and press out of the exercise. The Turkish Get Up basically work your whole body and help you learn how to keep steady. You need to learn to be steady or otherwise your head may get caved in.

I hope this helps.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,605
Re: Dpreview TV : Best shooting position feedback.

Very helpful thank you, especially the highly dangerous and ridiculously complicated Turkish Get up. I shall devote my next gym session to figuring out what the heck is going on here.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +11 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 2,280

I sure hope anybody that can do an 80kg front squat can hold a camera.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,605

NickZ2016 wrote:

I sure hope anybody that can do an 80kg front squat can hold a camera.

If you believe some of the folks around here, that's roughly what a full frame DSLR with a mid range zoom lens weighs.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads