Godox 2400w pack and dual head for studio

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mactrash Regular Member • Posts: 474
Godox 2400w pack and dual head for studio

Will be final soon ... sorry for no photo yet.

-- hide signature --
 mactrash's gear list:mactrash's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-3
tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,249
Re: Godox 2400w pack and dual head for studio

mactrash wrote:

Do you mean this? Or a single pack with two outlets?

OP mactrash Regular Member • Posts: 474

tugwilson wrote:

mactrash wrote:

My source say 1 pack power by main 110 -220 with 2 head

-- hide signature --

mactrash wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

mactrash wrote:

My source say 1 pack power by main 110 -220 with 2 head

That makes sense. No point in making a 2400Ws battery powered system as the airline restrictions on battery power means that you can only travel with a battery that gives you a very small number of full power pops.

Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 15,231

mactrash wrote:

This makes sense as it appears that affordable options for higher powered AC electronic flash systems are becoming either more scarce or pricing themselves out of the reach of all but rental studios and agencies.

What Godox needs to figure out next isn’t the engineering side of things but service and rental agencies in the USA (where I live and work) and possibly Japan, the UK, Australia, and the EU. Godox’s partnership with Adorama’s Flashpoint division is a start but it is NYC based.

And yes there are still enough established and up and coming professional photographers who have a need for 2400 watt-second systems that Godox introducing a new system in that category, and at a reasonable retail price, makes sense.

As for pricing, HOPEFULLY the Godox 2400 w-s pack or maybe a pack and single head kit will retail in the $1-1.50 per watt-second USD range.

How I came up with my pricing suggestions:

Currently (early May, 2021) a modern Profoto PRO-10 TTL 2400WS pack  has a retail price of nearly $16,000 (https://www.adorama.com/pp901010.html) and a Profoto ProHead Plus Flash Head with Zoom Reflector retails for almost $2700.

on the other end of the retail price scale,  new but 20+ year old design Speedotron Blackline 2400 watt-second packs retail from $2100-2400 depending on which model you are looking at, and about $500 per head.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
Paul Regular Member • Posts: 452

I don't have much use for a 2400 ws studio pack but I would love a bi tube 2400 ws head as an option for my 1200 ws (battery powered) packs. best of all worlds.

as for rental/repair: yes and no. I am in the US, I only buy flashpoint through Adorama because I get longer warranty and they take care of repair, so I don't see this as an issue at all. add in the low price which makes it pretty easy to have back ups for everything and the whole thing becomes a no brainer. Also: I have used godox and flashpoint exclusively for years now and have never had any issues of any kind.

establishing a rental/repair presence would drive prices up. right now buying the 1200ws flashpoint kit is less then  renting a profoto battery powered kit with similar specs for 2 weeks. and having worked with both, I actually prefer the flashpoint packs. before flashpoint I owned broncolor mobil and I definitely prefer the flashpoint packs.

the big broncolor or profoto packs make sense in a big studio, they are solid and great to work with, for the big rental studios it makes sense to stick with those brands (for now?)

-- hide signature --

schefz.com

Don89 Senior Member • Posts: 1,860

Paul wrote:

I don't have much use for a 2400 ws studio pack but I would love a bi tube 2400 ws head as an option for my 1200 ws (battery powered) packs. best of all worlds.

as for rental/repair: yes and no. I am in the US, I only buy flashpoint through Adorama because I get longer warranty and they take care of repair, so I don't see this as an issue at all. add in the low price which makes it pretty easy to have back ups for everything and the whole thing becomes a no brainer. Also: I have used godox and flashpoint exclusively for years now and have never had any issues of any kind.

establishing a rental/repair presence would drive prices up. right now buying the 1200ws flashpoint kit is less then renting a profoto battery powered kit with similar specs for 2 weeks. and having worked with both, I actually prefer the flashpoint packs. before flashpoint I owned broncolor mobil and I definitely prefer the flashpoint packs.

the big broncolor or profoto packs make sense in a big studio, they are solid and great to work with, for the big rental studios it makes sense to stick with those brands (for now?)

I was close to getting a Broncolor 3200ws Pack and a few heads.   Also thinking about not doing so. It’s back and forth for me for a year now.   That kinda tells me something already.

-- hide signature --

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Don89's gear list:Don89's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +1 more
Paul Regular Member • Posts: 452

if you have a specific need for one of the big packs (power, recycle or special features) then your choices are limited anyway but it sounds like you have been fine without and I would definitely wait for this whatever it might be. I need portable, fast recycle and short flash duration. the 1200 packs provide what I need at around 1/2 to 1/4 power but it would be great to not have to worry and have an extra stop, faster recycle and shorter flash duration.

-- hide signature --

schefz.com

mactrash wrote:

-- hide signature --
Don89 Senior Member • Posts: 1,860
  1. Ellis Vener wrote:

mactrash wrote:

This makes sense as it appears that affordable options for higher powered AC electronic flash systems are becoming either more scarce or pricing themselves out of the reach of all but rental studios and agencies.

What Godox needs to figure out next isn’t the engineering side of things but service and rental agencies in the USA (where I live and work) and possibly Japan, the UK, Australia, and the EU. Godox’s partnership with Adorama’s Flashpoint division is a start but it is NYC based.

And yes there are still enough established and up and coming professional photographers who have a need for 2400 watt-second systems that Godox introducing a new system in that category, and at a reasonable retail price, makes sense.

As for pricing, HOPEFULLY the Godox 2400 w-s pack or maybe a pack and single head kit will retail in the $1-1.50 per watt-second USD range.

How I came up with my pricing suggestions:

Currently (early May, 2021) a modern Profoto PRO-10 TTL 2400WS pack has a retail price of nearly $16,000 (https://www.adorama.com/pp901010.html) and a Profoto ProHead Plus Flash Head with Zoom Reflector retails for almost $2700.

on the other end of the retail price scale, new but 20+ year old design Speedotron Blackline 2400 watt-second packs retail from $2100-2400 depending on which model you are looking at, and about $500 per head.

China doesn’t do great dealing with the barbarian side of commerce - aka international commerce

-- hide signature --

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Don89's gear list:Don89's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +1 more

The focusing mechanism is reused from their new focussing video lights.

tugwilson wrote:

need to test the real thing with the targeted modifier to see if the zoom is effect

many chinese design is look good but actually not work as expect  i.e. jinbei 's para

-- hide signature --
Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 15,231

tugwilson wrote:

There are a couple of older designs that work that way: the Balcar Z heads and of course that is how most Speedlights heads work these days.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads