Pigeonholes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Redhenry Regular Member • Posts: 279
Pigeonholes

Just thinking aloud, as it were. Is it only me who is irritated by the 'aimed at' labels which come up in camera press releases, reviews and ads? I've been thinking about an Olympus EPL10. Goes in a jacket pocket, takes interchangeable lenses, image quality as good as I will ever need, you can change the angle of the screen and it has the magic letters PASM on the little dial. I don't do video or wildlife, do close-up rather than macro, rarely exceed ISO 800 and, most importantly, I can afford one of these! So, why is this camera for 'people who have realised that they want something better than a smartphone', for 'novice photographers' or for people who 'don't take their photography too seriously '.  My pictures are for me. I sometimes send a few to a microstock agency, which pays about enough to buy me a bottle of whisky most months so is just for fun, and if they tell me I should start submitting FF pics, I'll stop doing it. I'm not a novice photographer so do I have to have a medium-format marvel with a bag of lenses which cost more than my car?  I know it doesn't matter but they don't refer to small economical cars as 'beginner's cars' and big SUVs as 'enthusiast or professional' cars.

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
DanishMacro Forum Member • Posts: 93
Re: Pigeonholes

Labels are helpful for buying decisions.

Stop worrying about them, and enjoy your camera, and it’s usefulness to you.

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron 70-210mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 28,917

It looks like a very practical camera, although I'm not sure it's better than my old NEX-5N. In both cases a few more pixels and a BSI sensor would do no harm.

Is there a pancake or collapsing lens that allows you to put the camera with lens in your pocket ?

I agree that the pigeonholes are too simplified.

Don Cox

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 3,875

Marketing departments target demographics that they think they can do well with. You may or may not fall inside those groups. They also segment products to create aspirational demand, so that buys are always tempted to upgrade. If the cheapest camera was marketed as "probably good enough for most people," that company would lose out on people who would have been nudged to the next level seeking a "full" experience or whatever.

I'm not sure what the alternative is; do you expect every product you buy to be aimed explicitly at you? That's egotistical.  Don't feel insecure about your camera and focus on what you can make with it.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +1 more
OP Redhenry Regular Member • Posts: 279

Yes, there's a pancake 14-42 lens which comes with the camera if you buy it as a 'kit'. I don't usually buy new gear but might make an exception for this, as I will just be able to afford it with my first month's state pension later this year!

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads